“Unhelpful Staff, Unfriendly Service, many better options in town”
Review of Bolero Resort

and 1 more site!
Bolero Resort
Ranked #53 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The rooms are not bad, nothing out of the ordinary, unless you count the cockroach I killed when we first turned on the lights of the bathroom.

Overall the reason I would never stay here again is the staff, I found them to be generally rude, unpleasant, and unhelpful. Sure, this is the Jersey shore, and so sometimes you come across some of that, and the sort of "locals first" attitude, but the Bolero really took it to the next level with ignoring our complaints (about the bug among other things) and making sure we never felt at home during our stay.

Not sure how they call this a "resort" either - unless you like going in the pool with a lot of drunk kids.

Avoid, much better options elsewhere in Wildwood.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vaca_couple

Reviewed January 31, 2010

As has been said before there is a motel side and a hotel side I was in the motel side. Was on the 3'rd floor and there is no elevator which I don't mind but I know for some that can be an issue. Anyways had 4 people and after reading the reviews here I thought I was in for a hilariously terrible experience. Well I was almost disappointed to see the room was pretty average. The bathroom seemed recently remodeled and was nice. The room itself while a little dated seemed clean, sheets had no stains and the carpet was within reason for a beach motel, in that bare feet may not be a great idea but I don't think it's a good idea in any hotel. One thing that surprised me was the room was huge. There were 2 Queen Beds, 2 tables, chairs, pull out sofa that came with bedding, and there was still plenty of room to spare.

I know another point of contention for some here is the staff, well I was expecting the worst there also cause the hotel does not allow single night stays on weekends, and hotels.com where we reserved this room gave us a one night stay, so we were prepared for a huge argument. It never happened and wasn't even mentioned at check in or out. Guy at the front desk seemed pretty indifferent about his job, wasn't especially nice but also wasn't rude, got the job done and kept an eye on our $10 for remote control privileges.

So honestly I don't know if a lot of the posters here were expecting the ritz carlton though they do charge ritz prices and then some, but in wildwood they are on the low end of pricing. The ritz it is not, but it's a more than good enough place to sleep at night.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank CoasterTravler
Reviewed September 4, 2009

This hotel is fine, the staff is nice. They put up with a lot of various conventions with the parties & noise & clean up that brings. I did not stay in the new part and I have heard the band in the bar noise can get to some folks. I stayed in the motel section near the pool. Sleeping in the back room with the door closed I was fine. They kept my room clean. You also don't have to deal with the beach tag deal the majority of NJ beaches have. The amusement park and boardwalk is fun. Actually, it won 2nd best in NJ in Forbes magazine only being beat by Atlantic City. I'll be back with the Firefighter's in 2009 and I look forward to it. I am not loud or rowdy and I see most around me are like that.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We recently had a 2 day stay at this Fleabag joint, and these folks couldn't give a crap about anybody or anything. We recklessly left some dear items in a drawer after running out to check out w/all our children in 1 piece by 11:00 a.m....We realized our loss and
we called within 30 minutes while travelling on the GS Parkway...were told someone would call us back within a few hours. We called everyday for 3 days straight before getting a call back from someone stating that some things were found and wouldn't confirm to us just " what they found."
We had to pay $15.00 to accept a Postal C.O.D, shipment of what they decided to send back after they chose to keep items that were most useful to them & their Housekeeping staff. .
Shame on you, and Shame on your management, We hope and trust that whoever has kept those items will find them to be useful and moving forward, I will tell all friends and
colleagues and you, the American consumer to avoid this place at ALL COST !!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Ikearino
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Place Wildwood New Jersey
Date Aug 29 & 30 2009

We had to cancel the vacation we had planned in Florida - it has been a tough summer including my being in hospital
but my two kids and I got in a vacation together this summer afterall

actually a mini-vacation in Wildwwod
we fit in more fun in two days that I think most people fit in in a week

We just got back last night about midnight from a little mini vacation in Wildwood NJ this weekend

We almost did not go because of Hurricane Danny –but I am so glad we did - We had such a great time!

We left after the weather started to clear and it got better as we drove south

Matt found a great place for us to stay – the Bolero Resort and Spa (the heated pool and Jacuzzi were so fine! They were on the roof top floor that was all windows so the view of the beach and the piers all lit up at night were quite breathtaking and actually irresistible!

We walked the boardwalk at night-played some games and Matt won a walrus for Bertalina
We had some dinner along the way
And then went to the late show at the old beach theatre (of course Halloween 2 would not have been MY choice) but we snuck in stewart’s orange and cream soda – and we loved the old theatre and the beach at night was amazing (reminded us of our vacation last year at the Santa Monica pier) – we did not get back to our 2 room suite till after 1am – Matt and I got some ice and soda and watched TV for a while to un wind
we were all so tired and so relaxed and happy that we had a great sleep Sat night!!

Sunday was a perfect beach day for us ( mostly sunny but a few clouds – so I did not have to worry that much about sun burn.
We started with an early morning trip to the pool and Jacuzzi. Then a very long walk at the boardwalk (Matt did paintball ( at a live guy target!) he actually hit him in the face quite a few times – of course he had a mask on – it was fun for Bertalina and I to watch Matt pulverize the guy ).

Next Matt shot tennis balls at kids in floating tanks – Bertalina and I gave it a try as well –

Then we took a long walk at the beach and Matt and I got pounded by the waves for quite a long time
(I’ve lost weight so I had a new size 14 bathing suit on! – I Still have a long way to go – but I haven’t worn this small a size in a very long time)

We played games along the boardwalk – there were “slot machines” that gave out Tokens and Matt was pretty good at it - he got some prizes including spider rings for each of us
Then Matt sat in an “electric chair” and held on while being shocked for a VERY long time ( 1 ticket for each one hundred level shock) and he held on till the limit -almost four thousand!!!! )
and he got some treasures with his tickets – including smiling face rings for each of us

We had lunch at the boardwalk – ( that fresh squeezed lemonade – that never tastes as good anywhere else as it does at the beach).

Matt suggested that we all ride bikes – and we all really enjoyed it. I even found a trail where we could ride over the dunes and then actually on the beach down to the water (don’t know that we actually were suppose to do it – but there was not a sign that said no bikes and the kids followed me since I was being “the leader” at the time)
We took a quick break for a cold water at a lovely little gazebo park along the beach road -
I was afraid I would not be able to keep up with the kids – but actually they tired out before I did – of course Mattie had been riding extra and taking jumps at every opportunity

we all got souvenir t-SHIRTS - the kids picked out one for me that said “ the world’s greatest Mom looks like this!)

Then the highlight of The weekend – Bertalina and Matt actually went parasailing and got dipped in the ocean as a part of it !!
The place took pictures of them – so when I get them electronically on my PC – I will send them along to family and fiends

Bertalina helped drive home for a while so I could relax for a while with a big cup of coffee – which I really appreciated and Mattie’s loud music kept me well awake the final part of the ride – I actually liked some of the songs and we even sang along with them

We are ALL so glad that we went - we got our vacation together in this summer after all!!

we plan to go back next summer and actually maybe every summer !!

Reviewed August 3, 2009

I booked prior to reviewing these comments written here and I was scared as hell!!! I went there with the attitude that if it was as bad as written, I would pull out immediately.

Well, It wasn't as bad as written. We stayed in the motel section on the second floor about half way. My husband and I took the back bedroom of the unit and left the front portion for my daughter and her two teenage friends. The carpet was nasty but other than that the unit was fine. I travel a great deal and know what to look for as far as bugs in the unit and there were none. Unit smelled fine with absolutely no negative odor.

My only complaints is that they don't really have any big bowls to make food in and the ice machine isn't large enought to support all the units. The one time we were able to get ice my husband had to scope out the the very bottom of the machine and the faucet was set up backwards. For the first day and a half I thought there was no hot water in the kitchen sink when it was just hooked up backwards.

At night it was very loud in the front part of the unit with people jumping off the second and third story walkways into the pool. Idiots!!!

It was close to the boards and my daughter and her friends loved it but it is Wildwood and not Ocean City.

BTW, the staff was excellent throughout including the bar staff.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2009

*First, let me mention that there is a hotel side and a motel side. This review is based on the hotel side.
*Second, the room was the luxury suite. Be forewarned, especially if you've never stayed here before, that the word 'luxury' is used loosely in Wildwood.

My wife and I were looking for a mini vacation when we booked at the Bolero. I chose it because the amenities such as the restaurant/bar, weight room, indoor pool, spa and steam room would be great alternatives if there was any inclement weather. It turned out to be a wise move as anyone who lives in the Northeast would know this has been a very strange, cool and damp June. It rained two of the three days, although not hard and the temperature never got past 73 degrees. I chose the luxury suite in particular because it was the only room with a jacuzzi, a nice touch for any couple. You do have to put down a deposit for the remotes which was a joke because they were coming apart. Both remotes had tape on them to hold the batteries in and they were completely worn out. On one of the remotes you could barely read the numbers. When I got my money back for returning them I felt like I should've got extra for having to use them.

When we entered the room it was noticeably clean. I made sure to check everything thanks to the reviews on this site. There is no iron so either bring your own or pack light. The bathroom and jacuzzi were updated, however the carpet was very dirty. I didn't notice right away but after walking around in the room for no more than an hour the bottom of my socks were turning dark brown. Luckily, I did have flip flops. Thanks again, Trip Advisor. The jacuzzi worked flawlessly and the water can get very hot. The steam shower needed maintenance. It took them awhile to get to my room but they were very nice and helpful once they arrived. The gentleman did get it to work and even asked the next day if everything was still ok when I saw him in the lobby. It worked for the remainder of the weekend although the button was messed up. In order to get the steam started I had to use my car key to hit the button properly (maintenance had to do this as well). FYI, it takes about 10-15 minutes before the steam starts.

The spa, steam room, gym and indoor pool were all on the 7th floor. We didn't use the spa becuase I thought it was overpriced. The pool was smaller than I expected. Just in case there is an outdoor pool as well. Both were clean. The gym was a decent size though. Most machines were in good shape but some had thick black tape to cover wear and tear that can of course be uncomfortable. The steam room was small fitting at most 10 people. By the way, its co-ed for anyone who may be a bit shy. During my time there it was never busy on the seventh floor so using its facilities was not a problem for us but I can imagine the frustration if it were. One thing that certainly wasn't small was their restaurant, the Blue Water Grille. It's huge by comparison and probably the nicest feature there. Friday and Saturday featured a DJ but I warn you that if you're on the first three or four floors you will hear the music until they're done, which is about 2 am.

If my rating seems a bit high based on my review, it's because I have to put it on a curve in comparison to the rest of Wildwood. Rating anywhere here to say NYC or even AC would be foolish. You wouldn't measure a Kia against a Lincoln would you? It kills me when I see so many disgruntled reviews as if they were expecting the RItz-Carlton. Despite the dirty floors, remote deposit fees and maintenance issues this is probably as good as it gets for Wildwood and overall it was enjoyable. Growing up in NJ I have stayed in a lot of places here and I don't know of any other hotel/motel in the area with these kind of features, not to mention this many. If you're looking for a quick overnight stay and/or you know you'll be on the beach/boardwalk all day then don't waste your time or money but if you're looking to get a little more out of your trip, can't or don't want to swim in Jerey waters or you just need a quick romantic getaway then stay here. We plan to do so again before the summer is over.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple