“Families with Children - Be Very Careful Here !!!!!”
Review of Bolero Resort

and 1 more site!
Bolero Resort
Ranked #53 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
Horsham, PA
“Families with Children - Be Very Careful Here !!!!!”
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We recently had a 2 day stay at this Fleabag joint, and these folks couldn't give a crap about anybody or anything. We recklessly left some dear items in a drawer after running out to check out w/all our children in 1 piece by 11:00 a.m....We realized our loss and
we called within 30 minutes while travelling on the GS Parkway...were told someone would call us back within a few hours. We called everyday for 3 days straight before getting a call back from someone stating that some things were found and wouldn't confirm to us just " what they found."
We had to pay $15.00 to accept a Postal C.O.D, shipment of what they decided to send back after they chose to keep items that were most useful to them & their Housekeeping staff. .
Shame on you, and Shame on your management, We hope and trust that whoever has kept those items will find them to be useful and moving forward, I will tell all friends and
colleagues and you, the American consumer to avoid this place at ALL COST !!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Ikearino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
New York
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Place Wildwood New Jersey
Date Aug 29 & 30 2009

We had to cancel the vacation we had planned in Florida - it has been a tough summer including my being in hospital
but my two kids and I got in a vacation together this summer afterall

actually a mini-vacation in Wildwwod
we fit in more fun in two days that I think most people fit in in a week

We just got back last night about midnight from a little mini vacation in Wildwood NJ this weekend

We almost did not go because of Hurricane Danny –but I am so glad we did - We had such a great time!

We left after the weather started to clear and it got better as we drove south

Matt found a great place for us to stay – the Bolero Resort and Spa (the heated pool and Jacuzzi were so fine! They were on the roof top floor that was all windows so the view of the beach and the piers all lit up at night were quite breathtaking and actually irresistible!

We walked the boardwalk at night-played some games and Matt won a walrus for Bertalina
We had some dinner along the way
And then went to the late show at the old beach theatre (of course Halloween 2 would not have been MY choice) but we snuck in stewart’s orange and cream soda – and we loved the old theatre and the beach at night was amazing (reminded us of our vacation last year at the Santa Monica pier) – we did not get back to our 2 room suite till after 1am – Matt and I got some ice and soda and watched TV for a while to un wind
we were all so tired and so relaxed and happy that we had a great sleep Sat night!!

Sunday was a perfect beach day for us ( mostly sunny but a few clouds – so I did not have to worry that much about sun burn.
We started with an early morning trip to the pool and Jacuzzi. Then a very long walk at the boardwalk (Matt did paintball ( at a live guy target!) he actually hit him in the face quite a few times – of course he had a mask on – it was fun for Bertalina and I to watch Matt pulverize the guy ).

Next Matt shot tennis balls at kids in floating tanks – Bertalina and I gave it a try as well –

Then we took a long walk at the beach and Matt and I got pounded by the waves for quite a long time
(I’ve lost weight so I had a new size 14 bathing suit on! – I Still have a long way to go – but I haven’t worn this small a size in a very long time)

We played games along the boardwalk – there were “slot machines” that gave out Tokens and Matt was pretty good at it - he got some prizes including spider rings for each of us
Then Matt sat in an “electric chair” and held on while being shocked for a VERY long time ( 1 ticket for each one hundred level shock) and he held on till the limit -almost four thousand!!!! )
and he got some treasures with his tickets – including smiling face rings for each of us

We had lunch at the boardwalk – ( that fresh squeezed lemonade – that never tastes as good anywhere else as it does at the beach).

Matt suggested that we all ride bikes – and we all really enjoyed it. I even found a trail where we could ride over the dunes and then actually on the beach down to the water (don’t know that we actually were suppose to do it – but there was not a sign that said no bikes and the kids followed me since I was being “the leader” at the time)
We took a quick break for a cold water at a lovely little gazebo park along the beach road -
I was afraid I would not be able to keep up with the kids – but actually they tired out before I did – of course Mattie had been riding extra and taking jumps at every opportunity

we all got souvenir t-SHIRTS - the kids picked out one for me that said “ the world’s greatest Mom looks like this!)

Then the highlight of The weekend – Bertalina and Matt actually went parasailing and got dipped in the ocean as a part of it !!
The place took pictures of them – so when I get them electronically on my PC – I will send them along to family and fiends

Bertalina helped drive home for a while so I could relax for a while with a big cup of coffee – which I really appreciated and Mattie’s loud music kept me well awake the final part of the ride – I actually liked some of the songs and we even sang along with them

We are ALL so glad that we went - we got our vacation together in this summer after all!!

we plan to go back next summer and actually maybe every summer !!

New Jersey
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I booked prior to reviewing these comments written here and I was scared as hell!!! I went there with the attitude that if it was as bad as written, I would pull out immediately.

Well, It wasn't as bad as written. We stayed in the motel section on the second floor about half way. My husband and I took the back bedroom of the unit and left the front portion for my daughter and her two teenage friends. The carpet was nasty but other than that the unit was fine. I travel a great deal and know what to look for as far as bugs in the unit and there were none. Unit smelled fine with absolutely no negative odor.

My only complaints is that they don't really have any big bowls to make food in and the ice machine isn't large enought to support all the units. The one time we were able to get ice my husband had to scope out the the very bottom of the machine and the faucet was set up backwards. For the first day and a half I thought there was no hot water in the kitchen sink when it was just hooked up backwards.

At night it was very loud in the front part of the unit with people jumping off the second and third story walkways into the pool. Idiots!!!

It was close to the boards and my daughter and her friends loved it but it is Wildwood and not Ocean City.

BTW, the staff was excellent throughout including the bar staff.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Jersey
Reviewed June 20, 2009

*First, let me mention that there is a hotel side and a motel side. This review is based on the hotel side.
*Second, the room was the luxury suite. Be forewarned, especially if you've never stayed here before, that the word 'luxury' is used loosely in Wildwood.

My wife and I were looking for a mini vacation when we booked at the Bolero. I chose it because the amenities such as the restaurant/bar, weight room, indoor pool, spa and steam room would be great alternatives if there was any inclement weather. It turned out to be a wise move as anyone who lives in the Northeast would know this has been a very strange, cool and damp June. It rained two of the three days, although not hard and the temperature never got past 73 degrees. I chose the luxury suite in particular because it was the only room with a jacuzzi, a nice touch for any couple. You do have to put down a deposit for the remotes which was a joke because they were coming apart. Both remotes had tape on them to hold the batteries in and they were completely worn out. On one of the remotes you could barely read the numbers. When I got my money back for returning them I felt like I should've got extra for having to use them.

When we entered the room it was noticeably clean. I made sure to check everything thanks to the reviews on this site. There is no iron so either bring your own or pack light. The bathroom and jacuzzi were updated, however the carpet was very dirty. I didn't notice right away but after walking around in the room for no more than an hour the bottom of my socks were turning dark brown. Luckily, I did have flip flops. Thanks again, Trip Advisor. The jacuzzi worked flawlessly and the water can get very hot. The steam shower needed maintenance. It took them awhile to get to my room but they were very nice and helpful once they arrived. The gentleman did get it to work and even asked the next day if everything was still ok when I saw him in the lobby. It worked for the remainder of the weekend although the button was messed up. In order to get the steam started I had to use my car key to hit the button properly (maintenance had to do this as well). FYI, it takes about 10-15 minutes before the steam starts.

The spa, steam room, gym and indoor pool were all on the 7th floor. We didn't use the spa becuase I thought it was overpriced. The pool was smaller than I expected. Just in case there is an outdoor pool as well. Both were clean. The gym was a decent size though. Most machines were in good shape but some had thick black tape to cover wear and tear that can of course be uncomfortable. The steam room was small fitting at most 10 people. By the way, its co-ed for anyone who may be a bit shy. During my time there it was never busy on the seventh floor so using its facilities was not a problem for us but I can imagine the frustration if it were. One thing that certainly wasn't small was their restaurant, the Blue Water Grille. It's huge by comparison and probably the nicest feature there. Friday and Saturday featured a DJ but I warn you that if you're on the first three or four floors you will hear the music until they're done, which is about 2 am.

If my rating seems a bit high based on my review, it's because I have to put it on a curve in comparison to the rest of Wildwood. Rating anywhere here to say NYC or even AC would be foolish. You wouldn't measure a Kia against a Lincoln would you? It kills me when I see so many disgruntled reviews as if they were expecting the RItz-Carlton. Despite the dirty floors, remote deposit fees and maintenance issues this is probably as good as it gets for Wildwood and overall it was enjoyable. Growing up in NJ I have stayed in a lot of places here and I don't know of any other hotel/motel in the area with these kind of features, not to mention this many. If you're looking for a quick overnight stay and/or you know you'll be on the beach/boardwalk all day then don't waste your time or money but if you're looking to get a little more out of your trip, can't or don't want to swim in Jerey waters or you just need a quick romantic getaway then stay here. We plan to do so again before the summer is over.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mymatt1
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed at the Bolero the weekend of 4/18/09-4/19/09, which was during a major cheerleading competition. Upon check-in, there was a 20 minute line stretching across the lobby, mostly people attending the competition. The people behind the desk seemed kind but didn't seem to care too much about the customers.

Parking was very tight and it's hard to get a spot in the main lot, you may have to park on the street. The lot has only one entrance/exit and is very narrow, so be careful.

There are two sections of the hotel, the motel wing, and the hotel wing (which is serviced by only one elevator). Our room was in the motel section. However, it is only a block from the boardwalk and near most of the piers, there's also several restaurants located in the vicinity of the hotel.

The room had 2 beds and a sofabed. Most of the room looked like it hadn't been refurbished wince the early 80's. However, the kitchenette had newer (albeit cheap) fixtures, such as newer countertops, cabinets, appliances, etc. The kitchenette included a double sink, fridge, and microwave. The bathroom, like the kitchenette, looked like it had been renovated sometime in the 2000s, which was good compared to other area hotels.

The room was clean, but many fixtures were broken or in bad shape (There was a cover missing from an electrical outlet, among other things).

The adjacent restaurant was good but a bit pricey. On the top floor was a large fitness center, spa, and indoor pool, which had windows on all sides and had amazing views. The indoor pool had two main pools and two hot tubs. The outdoor pool area had the same amount, but wasn't opened during April.

The hotel wasn't bad, and the amenities was nice, but don't expect a Ritz-Carlton when you book a room.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and his family have been traveling to wildwood every year for 20 plus years during the summer. He and I sometimes visit in the winter, just the two of us - to see the beach with snow. I was a little unsure of booking this hotel because of the other reviews, but my husband and I are glad we did!! Walked around in my white socks and they were still white when I took them off. The hotel rooms were not that dated compared to some of the others in the area. Every where we went in the hotel was neat and clean and the staff was very friendly. I would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tgrprncss1
Langhorne, PA
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We were 2 couples at the Bolero for a Valentine's weekend. I was worried about staying at this hotel after reading some previous posts, since we the wives were surprising our husbands with this weekend. We couldn't have enjoyed our weekend more!! Yes, the furniture in the rooms are "dated", but having stayed in many WW locations - this was not a surprise. The room was comfortable and clean. The view from our room was amazing - and could be enjoyed from our jacuzzi!! The biggest surprise was the food in the Blue Water restaurant - it was fabulous! We did the Escape Package weekend and would certainly book it again!! Thanks Bolero!

• Liked — Restaurant food quality
  • Disliked — Slow elevator and deposit for remotes
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)