“I'm sure it was nice in the 1970's”
Review of Ocean Sands Motel

and 1 more site!
Ocean Sands Motel
Ranked #45 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
“I'm sure it was nice in the 1970's”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The only plus of this place was the location. The staff wasn't to bad either. However the rooms were very outdated, hasn't been updated in decades. Had a leak in the bathroom ceiling which resulted in the drop down tile to crumble and fall down. When I told them about it they said maintenance would be down in about 30 minutes. A little later on we were called and offered to to stay in a different room which we accepted not knowing if they were going to be able to fix it or not. When we moved 3 doors down I noticed that the same tile above the toilet had fuzzy black mold growing in it. Their reply to that was we will change the tile. Also the towels they provide you are falling apart. When you dry off after a shower half of the towel would be left behind on yourself. No chance of reusing the towels a second time I would go to the office to get more and they didn't even have 4 more towels to replace these ones. They only had 3 extras each time I asked for more. Overall as stated the location is great but other than that they need a total remodel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank george184
Lovethebeach3710, Manager at Ocean Sands Motel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
We are working to improve our accommodations every year! New Kitchens in 2014!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were suppose to camp out on the beach for a Youth Christian event this past Thursday to Saturday August 1 to 3rd. It stormed almost all day on the 1st. The woman inside gave us a deal to let us stay there for the weekend since our tents got totally ruined. We stayed in 2 different rooms, one on the first floor and then on the top. Very nice rooms for the money, has almost everything you need. (No hairdryer though.) The small kitchen on the top floor has a stock of cups and plates. You are right next to the boardwalk, so not a bad walk. One of the workers did get a little argumentative about our parking slot. Overall, worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank You for your review. We apologize for the parking issue. However with being such a close proximity to the beach and boardwalk we have people park who are not guests. We try our best to prevent this from happening, so our customers don't have a problem with parking.
Street, Maryland
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here last year 2012 and were fine with our room so in looking for vacation plans again this year,; we were going to come back to Ocean Sands. It is central located, has a pool and an ok place for a get-a-way weekend. Made the reservation 9 days ago and unfortunately had to cancel due to unforseen circumstances. Our reservation isnt until the END OF JULY and this is May; I was informed that only half of my one nights stay deposited would be refunded. $82.50 and there is 2 months notice to rent this room out. I looked back at the website and it states " Deposit is refundable if 14 days prior to reservation but it is subject to a 50% handling fee. SUBJECT. This is false advertisement. There is ample time for them to find someone for this room and "subject" shouldnt even be in this "policy" because there is no discussion. They keep 50% of your money if you cancel anytime after the reservation is made. I asked to speak to manager, which she would only communicate via the phone receptionist; the receptionist argued that there website states that the deposit is nonrefundable, which it doesnt state that at all. I will never make a reservation here again, and would certainly discourage anyone else from doing so.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Michelle C
Upon making a reservation customers are informed of our cancellation policy. We are a seasonal seaside business and our cancellation policy is on our website, brochure, and confirmation you receive when making a reservation.

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood hotels

New Jersey, United States
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I grew up going to this motel since I was a child with my family. We use to spend a few days in July & August. Later on when I was in High School I spent a few summers with my best friend here. My last visit was in August 2005. Over the years I was longing for a vacation in Wildwood & automatically insisted on staying here! Big mistake! My husband kept teasing me about how much I raved & couldn't wait to spend 7 nights here! There were cigerette burns in the comforters, the chairs were torn & weak. The lamp shades didnt match nor did they fit on the lamps. The phone didn't work. The pillows were rock hard which was similar to the bed. We opted npt have have maid service most of the days because even though we were out of the room from 10am until 4pm our room was never serviced! When I use to vacation with my family this place was family oriented but not anymore. We had a large group of teenagers who blasted their music past 11pm 2 doors down from us. The couple next door had a baby with them and couldn't wait to check out. No one said hello or wanted to bother to be nice. Needless to say we definatly got what we paid for. Honestly we were treated better when we paid less! How is that? This year I'm trying out a new place and praying to start a new family tradition there!

Room Tip: Never ask for pool side
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DizzyD78
Every year we make updates to our rooms. New for 2014 is New Kitchens! The Ocean Sands is conveniently located one block from the Wildwood's World Famous Boardwalk and Beaches.
New Haven
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We pulled up to the motel, not loving what we saw. The motel is run down, not having been updated much both inside and out for 15 years or more. We checked in, looked at the room and went back to the office to cancel our reservation. Big mistake. We should have asked to see the room first, cancelled our deposit and Ran. We were told by the front desk that we had to come back in the morning to speak to the manger. We check the room for bugs and decided we could stay one night. We called the credit card company to notify them of our situation. We went to the front desk bright and early the next day as instructed and were told that no refund would be given and we would be obligated to pay for our reservation. The rooms are shabby, box springs have no covering leaving them likely to infestation, the worn bedding dated to 1980. We stayed in an efficiency and the kitchen area was gross, with a rusted stove top and warped cabinets. The amenities in general were very poor. We are frugal travelers who appreciate cared for accommodations; look else where if you are the same.

Room Tip: Buy a bottle of wine and hope for the best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Karen D
We are sorry you did not feel as if our accommodations are up to your standard. We make updates to our rooms every year. We have many customers that stay with us year after year. We wish that this customer would have came to us with there problems. We do everything we can to accommodate any issues or problems that might have while staying at the Ocean Sands.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family of 4 stayed at this motel last minute they had a vacentcy took us in. we had a great time its so close to the boardwalk we loved it. it was priced very reasonable. we stayed two nights. the maid service wasn't that great but i just asked for more towels, of cource i was on vacation and i did not do any cooking at all(lol) but other guest were so nice and respectful. will try to go there again soon

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank You for your review! We hope to see you next year!
Sussex, New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We had previously stayed at Ocean Sands with friends on two seperate occasions. This year we decided to go just us two, and since Ocean Sands was priced much better than most of the other places and we were familiar with it, we decided to book there. We arrived early (we have about a 3.5-4 hour commute from North Jersey) and we werent even allowed to park at the hotel until the time of check in, even though they had plenty of open spots. Once we checked in, we noticed that there was still hair in the bathroom from whoever had stayed there before us. Half of the shower curtain was either not held up at all or was held up by string. The mirror was broken in one corner. One of the two beds had a cigarette burn in the comforter. There was rust on top of the mini fridge and a large amount of rust in the microwave. The maid had come in while we were gone, took our towels, left us a printed paper with an offer to stay Sunday night for an additional $125 (No, we were absolutely not staying longer), yet did not leave us with one clean towel. When we went to the front office to complain about the towels, we got a huge attitude from the woman at the front desk. We came back to our clean towels on our OUTSIDE CHAIR IN THE RAIN. The shower mat was yellowish/brown and the sink was not properly cleaned. I had a good time staying here the first two times, but this third time will absolutely be our last. Being a returning customer, I was beyond disappointed in the room and the service. I have sent Ocean Sands a request for a contact email in which I can send the owner or management the pictures I have provided. Perhaps if they did some cleaning up they would have more returning customers.

Room Tip: Any room near the pool is very noisey
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stacey Y
Lovethebeach3710, Manager at Ocean Sands Motel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
The Ocean Sands rooms have been updated. There will be New kitchens for 2014. Be sure to stay with us again!

We are sorry the reviewer was upset about the parking. However due to the high occupancy rate of the hotel on the day of check in. The reviewer who showed up to hotel at 8:30 am to check in was explained by the desk clerk that they would not be able to park on premises until after 11am. We apologize for this inconvenience, but this is our policy to instill that current customers will not have a parking problem.