“Nice, but....” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #59 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
paterson, new jersey
“Nice, but....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

We stayed at the Isle of Palms Motel during the middle of August. Our room was right in front of the pool, on the first floor, so it was kinda noisey, but very convenient. I say convenient because I had two older women with me. Speaking of which, the main thing I criticize seriously is that the bathrooms did not have any type of ridging in the bottom of the bathtub to keep you balanced. AND there were no bars or handles to hold on to, to get in or out of the bathtub.
The other thing I did not understand and I questioned was changing the linen on the bed. I was there from Tuesday to Friday and they did not change the linen. they changed the towels, vacumed, I guess they cleaned the toilet and basin in the bathroom I was never in there at the same time the cleaning people came in. When I question the cleaning person she said they clean it every three days, well three days passed and it was not changed, but I was leaving on the fourth day and I brought my on linen and towels from home anyway. Another small problem was the microwave was on top of the refridgerator and kinda hard to reach. Other than that it was okay. I have been coming down to Wildwood for the past 20 years or more, This was the first time I stayed at this motel. I would stay there again but I would bring my own linen and towels and now I know I'd also bring a bath mat.

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

My family stayed here for 3 days in late July. There were 6 of us in a room. We booked the room after seeing the hotel website a month before going. A week before going my son found this website that had reviews of the hotel and after reading some of them was not sure we had picked the right hotel. But upon arriving we found that most of the reviews were totally wrong. I stayed in lots of hotels in Wildwood and I have to say that this was the nicest places in downtown wildwood. The pool was beautiful the room was very nice air condition worked great carpeting did not make our feet black as some has said. The bathroom was very clean, beds were very comfortable and clean. All in all it was a very nice hotel. I would recommed it to any family going to Wildwood.

• Liked — cleaness
  • Disliked — elevator was slow
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank KimAl2233
new jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2007

Upon arrival the pool was green and dirty, the a/c- heating unit was not enough capacity for the room, the beds were very uncomfortable along with the pillow and the towels were like sandpaper. I stayed only one nite and that was to much, never again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — room set up and beds
  • Stayed April 2007
1 Thank tmdor

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood hotels

Newington, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

We just returned from a four night stay at Isle of Palms.
I have to sort of second the last reviewers comments..our stay was almost as bad.
The staff was somewhat accomodating, but let me tell you about our lst night to start.
From what I have read about other Wildwood establishments...it seems NONE are what they SHOULD be! Unclean seems the norm in this seaside town.
We (husband, myself and 19 yr. old daughter) checked into room 303. My lst thought upon entering (aside from being disappointed they didn't have a kitchen efficiency available) was that the room didn't look like the "pretty" picture on the internet.
The room smelled bad, was stuffy in the back room and was sparsely furnished. There was ONE lame old A/C unit in the front room, and NONE in the back bedroom. The paint was peeling in several spots along the ceiling. The bathroom was cleanish...but not in the best shape. The rug appeared terribly dirty. Well..since we figured its only for sleeping for 4 nights, and we wouldn't be in our room much..we figured we'd live w/ it.WELLLL..Surprise, Surprise,...My teenage daughter went to unfold the sofa bed in the living area...and found the mattress to be TOTALLY unsleepable. The springs sticking up almost thru the worn, threadbare, paper type junkie sofabed mattress made it unsleepable AND unsafe. We decided to complain about it in the morning...and were hopeful we would get another room assignment then. My daughter decided to sleep on the couch as is..without opening up the bed. She opted to sleep on it UNopened as she couldn't bear the smell in the back bedroom area, nor lack of a/c. Well..we took down the pillows and blanket from the shelf for her to use on the couch..and she began to sneeze and her eyes got swollen, and her nose became stuffed up, as she is allergic to dust, dust mites and mold. We immediately went to the night manager and told him the room was uninhabitable. He was very accomodating, and did get my daughter a set of freshly washed sheets and two brand new pillows.(The pillows in this establishment are a joke..they are like "paper" throwaway pillows...NOT at ALL comfortable to sleep on..nor do they seem sanitary, since they cannot be washed)...The night manager originally told us to have my daughter sleep on the floor instead of the worn out sofa bed mattress...the floor??? And open the back door on the balcony to let in fresh air (just a little hot and humid for that?) UGH...FILTHY!!!...but ANYHOW..The following morning,Pat the day manager DID move us to better quarters on the lst floor next to the pool. The housekeeping gal did EXTENSIVELY clean it for us before we moved in that VERY next morning. We did lose 1/2 a day at the beach tho' as we had to WAIT till almost 12 noon to switch rooms, and my daughter lost a whole nights sleep due to her allergic reaction to this filthy room. They offered NO refund for the night..or an extended stay or later check out (which we TRIED to get on Saturday) for our inconvenience..which would have been a NICE gesture on their part.
The room we ended up with, was far better cleanliness wise, but overall..there were rust stains in the sink (gross) the carpeting was filthy and mildew-y and moldy. The ONE A/C for TWO separate rooms is a JOKE. The bed linens don't seem all that clean, don't smell fresh.. and I do have some weird rash on my right arm now that I usually sleep folded under my pillow..ick.
So much for the "cleanliness" part.
Unlike the guests review from June/July we were told we could NOT use the exercise room OR internet after 8pm. ???? We asked about using the computer around 9 or 10pm and were told "Someone sleeps in the back room at that time, so no one is permitted after 8pm". Oookkkk.
I realize it is not necessary to offer "free" breakfast but the continental breakfast consists of decent coffee, cold OJ and (literally) Hostess Twinkies, Ho Ho's, packaged donuts and danish. There is NOTHING offered for those who wish to eat healthy..no fruit, or any other options to junk food for this"free".
breakfast.. The young man from Croatia who ran the breakfast service and was the "jack of all trades" here, was a nice young man, and VERY accomodating and helpful.
The pool and hottub seemed like they could have been cleaner. The pool deck and BBQ area was pretty nice.
Anyhow..Pat was somewhat accomodating & the night manager helpful during my daughters 2am allergy attack in the filthy 3rd floor room.
Overall...it was NOT The best stay for $800..and I would NOT stay at "Isle of Palms" ever again. We made last minute reservations...and had to take what we could find.
Actually..I am not sure I will be heading back to Wildwood again. I waited 30 years to go back..and this is what I came to.
As they say..Nothing stays the same....
And Isle of Palms is NOT the cleanest place to stay.

• Liked — The location and cable TV channel selection!
  • Disliked — Not a CLEAN establishment, limited access to internet and exercise room
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to find a new, more modern establishment in Wildwood..or better still..find a better location than Wildwood..not what it once was!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Catperson1
Radnor, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2006

Our family of four was coming down for a nice weekend in Wildwood. Most of the hotels by the boardwalk and beach were booked completely, so we figured we'd try something a bit further up the boardwalk. When we got there and were given our keys, one of the keys wasn't working (room 310) and we had the staff replace it for us. Another reviewer had said that exact same thing, we stayed 1 week before them, and the staff hadn't done one thing about it, they didn't throw away the key!

Once we get in the room, we head immediately for the air conditioner since it was very hot and humid in the room. In horror we realize that there is only one in the living room, and it isn't putting out a lot of fresh air. (It was very old, small, and weak.) It left us feeling sticky and sweaty the whole time, and not to mention the incredibly uncomfortable sleeping. The same reviewer for our same room had said that they complained about the air conditioner, as we did! The staff had said the same thing, 'We'll take care of it!' It was never done.

We are used to hotels where we don't have to look at our feet because the carpet is actually shampooed, but here it is not. Our feet were the blackest of the black, and we had to wash them and put on socks. In addition to the heat, making your feet sweat in socks is very uncomfortable.

Usually once we get into a room we sanitize everything, the handles, knobs, etc. Once we sanitized the bathroom, we saw that the toilet had been "sanitized" already, as the strip of paper had noted. We lifted the lid and there were big brown dots on the seat, very disgusting!!

We wouldn't ever stay here again, the heat in addition to the dirty carpets and "sanitized" toilet seat seals the decision for us. Never stay here!!!

We have been going to Wildwood for 20 years and have stayed at many hotels here. Here are some of the better ones:

1. Le Boot
2. The American Inn
3. The Starlux
4. Matador
5. Alante

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here, RUN
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
14 Thank TheRadnorFamily
baltimore, md
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

I could not wait to write this review. We have been coming to wildwood for almost 17 years and finally weve found a hotel that we would stay in again. "Okay, let's start with what you may have heard." "Yes, the towels are very rough, and the carpet left my childrens feet black." Aside from that the room was immaculate, and cleaned daily. So just bring your own face towels and wear slippers. We stayed in room 310. Upon arrival our key jammed. They fixed it immediately!!! There were 2 missing light bulbs. They delivered them to the room along with dining/entertainment brochures immediately. Unlike Montego Bay which advertise a fitness center and game room, The Isle actually has them. They ARE SMALL but sufficient, especially on a rainy day. The air was broken, but they said it was being replaced. The staff worked ALL Day and Night to keep the motel clean and to address our every need. We grilled almost every day, and they provide everything needed except the food of course. They even let us grill past posted hours due to rain. A-Plus for effort and the location cant be beat. Just park your car and walk to everything!!!! Now for the truly not so great. The room only has one a/c unit in the front so the bedroom can be warm. However, we were there when it was 96 degrees and we did fine. We simply purchased a $15 fan from a nearby Family Dollar. The phone situation was ridiculous. You needed to purchase a $5 card to make calls. However, the card never worked. I couldnt contact Sprint and they didnt have payphones. Still no problem. They refunded my $5 and allowed me to use their phone as needed for local and 1-800 #'s. We also used the computer daily as late as 11pm with no problem. Yes breakfast was donuts, but atleast everything was prepackaged allowing us to take them to the beach or save them for late night snacks. Take it from people who know first hand this hotel gives you alot for your money. Pat and Teresa are very helpful and the three foreign men are wonderful. Stay at The Isle before you try ANY of the nearby hotels. Ive been to ALLLL of them. If you get room 310 you should be happy. Just remember bring face towels and a fan. If anyone finds a nicer facility in the same price range with more amenities PLEASE, PLEASE BE SURE TO WRITE A REVIEW.

• Liked — PRIVATE DECK off the bedroom
  • Disliked — one a/c unit
  • Tips/Secrets — bring your own face cloths
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank ladyessence
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2006

My family and I stay here for the week of July 4 and the best time. The accomidations were actually better than we had expected. We were pleasantly surprised by the layout of our rooms(full sized fridge, pull-out sofa and third queen sized bed). The towels were old, stained and hard but they were always plentiful and fresh(I recommend bringing your own). One worker there named "Tony" was, although he didn't speak much english, especially pleasant and helpful with any request we may have had. We were vey happy also with it location so close the boardwalk, restaurants, entertaiment and for those who cared to drink a liquor store barely a block away. It rained a couple of days there so we didn't have many opportunities to take advantage of the outdoor pool or attached jacuzzi. It was really nice to see so many families there.The game room was a favorite of my younger cousins and the continental breakfast every morning was a fav of another family member. Overall I highly recommend The Isle of Palm. As with my family I'm sure you'll be happy you stayed here. We'll definitely be back!!

• Stayed July 2006