“yummy!”

Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bridgewater Ma
“yummy!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

was very happily satisfied after eating dinner at groffs. My son colored a picture and they hung it up on the wall and made his night! great food wonderful sevice and happy greeting faces made it all the more better!

Visited July 2012

Bridgeton, New Jersey
“Was a great restaurant, now it's NOT....DO NOT EAT HERE”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

To make my point that you shouldn't go to this restaurant, let me give you a little history about it. When I was first old enough to drive myself to wildwood, I used to go to this restaurant with friends each summer. It never failed there were always huge crowds outside of the place, often times there would even be tour buses outside with many hungry visitors to Wildwood, Cape May county and of course Groff's. Not a single person every minded waiting in the long lines to go into Groff's because, although the food was pricey everyone knew it was a great value. You could tell most of the staff, with the exception of a few young people hired for the summer, had been with the restaurant each season for years. if you had a question about one of the things on the menu, you could feel confident that the knowledgeable wait staff could answer it truthfully. At the end of the meal, you usually had a to go box, and probably enjoyed a free slice of pie thanks to the free coupon for the pie, available in many places along the boardwalk.
Fast forward to yesterday, July 29, 2012, the lines waiting outside were gone and that's never a good sign. I had known ahead of time that Groff's had changed hands a few years ago, but it was still in the Groff family. My friend and I waited outside Groff's until 4pm, along with a very nice older man and woman. When we enter the same hostess that was always there seated us, which was great because it left me feeling like maybe not as much changed as I thought. Our waitress was a very polite young lady, you could tell she wasn't going to be very knowledgeable about the food though. Gone is the waitstaff that had been there for years who made the restaurant feel like a place you wanted to keep going back to because they were like old friends. Besides the fact those people also could offer you great advice about what you should order, if you weren't sure. The old couple and my friend and I were all talking about the prices on the menu, that was the big topic in this restaurant. This conversation repeated itself each time someone new entered the restaurant with their family or friends.
Moving on to the food: My friend and I ordered the roast beef and Gravy early bird special , which takes the amount of sides you get from three to two. It also brought the price down to about $12.75. I ordered a salad as one of my sides, as I always do when I go to Groff's. The waitress bring out this small salad (think Scrooge size) with a small cup, half filled with dressing on the side, and a basket of bread with a reasonable amount of butter. The only thing really edible in the basket of bread was the mini sized corn bread muffins. If you planned to not still be hungry when you left this restaurant, eating the tough bread was a must. My friend and I ordered our soft drinks, which were cola at $2.75 per cup (your paying for any refills, my friends) My other side for my meal was a baked potato. My friend had ordered a baked potato also and corn. The waitress bring out our food, the baked potato's were pretty standard for most restaurants these days, it came coated with salt on the skin of the potato. My friend was very dissatisfied with his corn. he said it tasted like it came from a can and the way everything else tasted, I can pretty much guarantee him that it did. Finally we tasted the main entrees, and I must give my compliment's to Hormel because that's who cooked my meal. It tasted exactly like the Hormel complete meals that you can buy in the grocery store. I recognized the taste of the gravy immediately, but I didn't say anything to my friend about it until after the meal because he wasn't liking the restaurant from the beginning and I didn't want to make it worse for him. Just a quick note: The FREE pie coupon Groff's used to offer has been replaced with a $1 off coupon and the cost of the pie without any coupon is $3.50.
My experience at this restaurant yesterday made me wish that Food Network and Robert Irvine allowed people to suggest restaurants for Restaurant Impossible. This place is a perfect candidate for it, because the old homey feeling that you used to get with the old waitstaff and unique sea life wall paper was gone completely. All that was left was a feeling of,wow this place really needs to be updated, both in the food and decor. It's just not worth it the way it's being run. Sorry Groff's, if you seriously can't get it together just close already, sell it, and let someone who really wants to own a restaurant buy it from you and make a good living.

5 Thank compmaster36
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
“A Classic”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

You'll never have a bad meal at Groff's. A favorite of my parents, and now, my family. I've been there every summer for 40 years. Don't miss out. The pies are awesome. Even brought one home!

Visited July 2012
maywood, new jersey
“Definitely Went Downhill”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We ate at Groff's last weekend. The prices are ridiculous. Two shrimps, two scallops and a small piece of overcooked fish for $24.95? What a ripoff. The service was very slow. It was a total disappointment. I used to visit Groff's years ago and the food was phenomenal. The quality and value of the food has definitely gone down. I don't recommend this place at all. I could have eaten fish from ShopRite that was better than this.

1 Thank stenochick
Pennsylvania
“Family Style Restaurant”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

As soon as I entered Groff's, I knew that there was something special. It seemed as though the staff was familiar with the guests. They were greeted by name with an occasional hug and always a thank you. This is obviously a place where the "locals" go. It felt more like a family event than a restaurant...so different than the fast food and places run by foreign workers who are so difficult to communicate with. The food was good and the service was exceptional. We will definitely go back.