“Worst Place Ever!!”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wildwood
The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #65 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed December 27, 2007

So.. I rented this place for prom weekend. I visited Laura & ernie before renting, and they were all cool saying drinking would be no big deal, just dont let them see it, and they seemed very nice. well, once me and my friends payed over $4,000 dollars (there were 20 of us), the madness began. I cannot even begin to explain all the messed up things they did-- just read the other stories, these people are INSANE and I am definately going back to wildwood, to stand outside this place, and discourage people from renting from these wackos. WORST PLACE EVER!! the only reason i am thankful i went there is now i have hilarious stories to share with my friends because it was so BAD there is nothing to do but laugh at it now. I read the bad reviews before I booked, and i thought it couldn't be that bad, ill do it anyway. well i'm warning you.. DONT DO IT!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Bmm56

New York
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Staying at the Clifton Hotel was AMAZING.. it was the best time of my life.. the owners were reasonable with prices/rooms/days & nights.. They of course want to make sure their is nothing going on in the hotel.. but they worked very well with me and my friends, as long as we respected them they respected us.. it was the best time of my life.. we were allowed to have guest to "add on" for the night.. or day pass.. for very low price. They are only a block away from the boardwalk.. they had an inground pool.. that was heated at night so we could swim even if it got a little chilly. The room we had was really nice.. especially for the price we paid.. compared to all the other hotels.. clifton is my absolute favorite and i will b back everyyyy summer. i am even taking my senior classmates down for a senior skip week/ weekend.. i cant wait!!

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia Pa
Reviewed August 11, 2005

I stayed at the Ocean Glenn Accomadations which is owned by the Clifton Hotel in Wildwood Nj. When we first came to the Hotel we were registered for a apartment in the Clifton Annex building . However, 2 weeks before we were due to arrive the owner called us and asked if she could move our week and our apartment because she had overbooked. We told her that we could not change our vacation week but that we would have no problem changing apartments. we got a smaller apartment across the street that had two airconditioners , one in each bedroom. we were told that we were not alloweed to use the airconditioners unless you were in the room. if we left we were told that we had to turn the a/c off. after we were there for two days my family decided to swim in the pool. there are 5 adults and 2 children in my family. while we were swimming Ernie came running over accusing us of letting our 11 year old boy try to fake drowning. He said that by my son putting his head under the water he was faking drowning.
and everybody knows that in order to swim you have to put your head in the water. Naturally we started to agrue with him about this. He was also yelling at my father in law who is 84 years old. he was yelling at him because he was sitting in a chair of the deck beside the pool with his sneakers on . He said that my father in law was getting sand into his precious pool. He then left and called the police and reported to them that my son was fake drowning(his Words). when the police arrived we explained to them that our son was putting his head under water so that he can learn how to swim. of course the police where on our side . you would think that this would be the worst of it . and it was except for the constant nagging about the pool . and always having a problem with were the cars were parked. everytime you stepped out of the building he was calling over to you about some stupid problem . Needless to say we wil never , ever, stay at this place or refer the Ocean Glen Accomodations to anyone i ever meet.

• Stayed: August 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ozzie S, Owner at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

At the Clifton Hotel we hire employees and family members to watch and guard the pool for your safety! and your children and family!

Plymouth Meeting, PA
Reviewed September 18, 2004

NEVER AGAIN will I nor friends and family stay at the Ocean Glenn Accomidations which is owned by the Clifton Hotel. The price was expensive, the place was dirty (sand in the sheets/dirt all over floor) and owners could have had just a tad of respect for the guys and girls staying there. Socks should not turn black when you walk on the carpet should they? Owners response-we just got new carpet. The water pressure for the showers and toilets absolutely were horrible. The sink pressure was great. I would have rather hooked a hose to the sink and showered that way instead of water dripping from a shower head. And toilets took a good 5 minutes to fill back up after flushing them. The power constantly went out, a total of 18 times in a 48 hour period. When it went out, we had to go down to the 1st floor in the dark because they didnt have a flash light for us and the emergency lights didn't go on and throw the fuse back on. I was told new electric was just installed. I'm not an electrician but I do know you that you can not run every electrical outlet on the 2nd floor, lights on one side of the building and all the bathrooms on a 15 amp fuse and you DO NOT plug in an air conditioner, a mini-refridgerator and a television into a 3 in 1 socket or into a power strip! And in one room, an air conditioner was plugged into an outside extension cord (which was in the room) then plugged into a power strip and can you guess what happened when it was powered up? If you guessed the power strip fried, YOUR A WINNER! And how was this problem handled by the owners? They unplugged it and wouldn't let us back in the room. Windows, in some of the rooms, would not even open! So much for a second means of eggress if there was a fire. And speaking of life safety, if you were on the 1st floor, the front door was kept locked because the owners "could not see people going in and out of the door". And god forbid if you leave a hallway light on at night. We had a light on in the hallway so we can see when we wanted to go to our rooms. We were sitting on the balcony and we thought the power went out again. Here, one of the owners came up and shut out the lights. The exit sign on the 1st floor was burnt out as well. I would also like to point out is the 2nd floor balcony. It was a good size balcony (and thats probably the only nice thing I will say about this place) but the rails weren't bolted into the floor where the holes were and where 2 bolts should have been on the sides of the rails, some only had one. I dont know who put the railings on but they were slanted too on the one side. I would recommend not to question the owners about the prices. There was a little confusion with one of the guests and the owners and when the guest asked a simple question, they were thrown out of the office. And how would you feel if you were walking on the boardwalk and someone asked where you were staying, you told them and they said the place your staying at was condemmed for a while? I wasnt happy and neither were the other guests int he place. I will be looking into that, trust me! Lastly, I would like to say that if you were planning on staying at this establishment, I BEG YOU TO FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO STAY!! If you stay here, GOOD LUCK and I hope you do not have to deal with what I had to deal with for a weekend.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Albany, NY
Reviewed August 8, 2004

The place was not very well maintained, nor was the management hospitable or the least bit courteous. Our group was forced to put down a $200 security desposit that we were assured would be returned to us had the place been left in the same condition as when we arrived. Weeks later, the check arrived for 1/4 the amount we payed, along with a list stipulating the bogus deductions. Upon calling the hotel to speak with the manager, we were treated with complete nastiness and told "There was a man's shirt left at the house, so there MUST have been an unregistered guest spending the night". This assumption led to a $75 deduction from the security deposit. The Clifton Hotel is not a place to spend your summer vacation or any vacation for that matter.

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

as to bed bug alert it is highly not possiable in the middle of the summer cause bed bugs and can not stand heat they die in hot temps,of over 100 degrees .this is documented.and clear that bed bugs started in the USA from over seas travelers,from hotel to hotel.We can not decline anyone who is not of this country but we are aware of the apademic !

Malaga,Spain
Reviewed August 5, 2003

This Hotel is really uncomfortable and rooms are dirty (even there are insects,beatles...) The security is not good, somebody stole me CD player ( i think Mr Ernesto (the ownership) ) The price is quite expensive, and the ownership use to go into the rooms in order to check using nonsense excuses. So, be alert if you are brave and decide go there! ;)

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

The Clifton Hotel is not responsiable for any items left in the rooms or left behind,we do hire employees to watch for any invaders !We dont believe the owner would of 35 years in hotel management would break in customers private room and remove such equitment !etc.

Elizabeth, New Jersey
Reviewed June 7, 2003

There is a correction this hotel is located in Wildwood, NJ not North Wildwood, NJ as your site has posted.The time spent and the staff were just outstanding. We were made to feel at home just about every minute we were there. The price was great considering the competitors. I have recommended this hotel to my friends and family alike. I am sure they will have as much of a pleasant experience as I had. We definitely plan on spending future vacations at the Jersey shore and the Clifton will be the #1 choice!!!!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member