“Paradise...in Wildwood, NJ!”

The StarLux Hotel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at Starlux Hotel! It was the greatest experience we've had in Wildwood. We booked a two room king size suite with a private balcony. My husband and I loved Starlux Hotel so much, we booked that same suite twice-Once for our honeymoon in July 2008, then again in August. They have very clean rooms and courteous staff members. Breakfast was a plus! We had a really nice housekeeper, too. Also, I absolutely LOVED the fact that I could listen to doo wop music by their clean pool or jacuzzi ALL DAY! I am a doo wop fanatic =)

We plan on returning to the same suite July of 2009...and for the rest of our lives!

Note: Starlux is a very family friendly hotel.

Stayed: July 2008

Reviewed September 15, 2008

Kudos to the owners of this fantastic hotel for taking Doo-wop into the 21st century. They took what was a fairly plain old Wildwood Motel and turned it into a place that would make the Jetsons feel right at home. The "Astro Room" Lounge next to the pool is ultra cool with 6 Nelson Bubble Lamps hanging from the ceiling and a space age era circular enamel metal fireplace in the center. While drinking your morning coffee you can hang out on the retro mod sofas and read one of their many Mid-Century arcitecture & furniture books. They obviously spent alot of money on this place as there is alot of attention to detail - great wallpaper, light fixtures and color schemes. The rooms are fun and very cool and for the purists many of the bathrooms are original with period tile and light fixtures. We loved the pool and the heated whirlpool is great on chilly mornings. We peeked into the Airstream trailers that you can stay in and they looked like they would be a blast. The StarLux is very centrally located and you can easily walk to the boardwalk and beach. Obviously there are many great period motels in Wildwood that are more original but it is great that there are people who are investing in the future of Wildwood Doo-wop instead of taking the Greedy Way Out and tearing down Wildwoods history in order to build cookie cutter condos.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed September 15, 2008

This hotel is really neat! Unique decor and style, nice accommodations very close to the beach. Had everything I needed for a great stay. Reasonably priced for the area. Would recommend to a friend

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Staying at the StarLux was a great experience the rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Its near all main attractions. My girlfriend and I are looking into staying at the StarLux in the near future.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Arrived Labour Day, for a 3 night stay. Check in was quick, reception is located in Main building. Confusing at first as no signs direct you to reception. Everyone checks the lounge building in front of the pool. We had a 2 room suite, which we were able to get for the price of a single room. The rooms were a good size, and the bathroom was very clean. Bed was comfortable as well. Breakfast was served in the mornings, consisting of bagels and muffins, as well as coffee, tea and juices. Never used the pool as we always headed to the beach. Short walk to the boardwalk, then about 1/3 of a mile to the water. Beach was great. Overall our stay was great and we had a great time. Many places to eat within walking distance of the motel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2008

A friend of mine suggested I should do a review of the Starlux... I did stay there awhile back but I feel my experience is pretty relevant to this discussion.

The Starlux might look cool and be a landmark destination that attracts people with its retro-theme but beware! This place is not as unique as portrayed; so please read before you shell out an exorbitant amount of money for this place.

A cool, retro exterior appears on 1 side of the building and the rest of the design was neglected or abandoned. Shouldn't architecture address 3-dimensions? The back of the hotel is a total disgrace with a huge unused concrete slab that could be used for parking.

OK, onto the room; I got the standard hotel room that advertised 1 queen sized bed; in all honesty, it appeared to be a full size. The room was very small, no chair or seating area but with thin tabletop / dresser furniture and laughable closet that had a shower curtain instead of a slider or door! The bathroom was a joke!!! When I walked into it, I didn't think I had a toilet because it was around a corner and enclosed in a very narrow, tight space. The water pressure was weak and had enough warm water for a 5 minute shower. The bed linens did not smell clean; they had a musty and smoky smell... I stripped the bed and was glad I brought my own comforter and towels (something I normally do). The overall design of the room had some retro shapes and colors but the lava lamp is really out of place; Doo Wop is late 1950s-early 1960s and lava lamps are late 1960s- early 1970s.

My friends and I were at the Starlux during Cheerfest or one of the cheerleading events being held at the Convention Center. Girls were screaming, yelling, running from the time I arrived until the time I left. Also, 2 of my friends who were in room 301 got an early morning wake up when the Doo Wop music started blasting out of the speaker; right outside of their room.

I am from the Cape May County area and now live in NYC; I am used to paying top dollar for things and this whole experience was a huge disappointment. Everything seems to be based upon some "upscale ideal" but there is nothing extraordinary or unique about this place. It feels like someone slapped some retro architecture on top of a Days Inn and added an expensive price tag.

If you really want an outstanding, memorable Doo Wop lodging experience, go to the Caribbean. These owners know the true meaning of Wildwood because they focus on authentic details and offer reasonable rates for all the rooms they have. You could extend your trip by a week from all the money you'd save!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank kristen773
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Stayed Aug 11, 2008 for three nights. Booked a Double/Double room. Not worth the price. Paid $678.00 + tax. The room was very small. One adult and two teens had a very hard time moving around. Not up to standard in appearance or cleanliness. Very poor water pressure in shower. Wireless internet did not work from the room. Had to go down to lounge to connect. Poor on site parking - must park offsite across the street. Continental breakfast was below average. Repair men kept coming in and out to repair electrical outlets!
The hotel is directly on the main road into Wildwood. (Rio Grande) and is therefore very noisey. As far as Doo Wop motels go - liked th Caribbean better. It's cheaper, cleaner and better location.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wildwood
Aqua Beach Resort
#9 of 75 in Wildwood
Dolphin Inn
Dolphin Inn
#12 of 75 in Wildwood

Been to The StarLux Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!