“Hole in the Wall”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Hole in the Wall...YES... Fresh Seafood...YES...Good Staff...YES...Small Place...YES...Worth it...YES! Enjoy the seafood broiled or fried...then off to the boardwalk for some dessert! : )

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time patronizing the Shack. My sister and I are not huge on atmosphere and personally, it was just fine. Anyway we ordered food "to go". What's important is that the establishment is clean, the service is good, and the food I'd good. They get high points on all three. Joe the owner was a very warm and personable man who engaged us in conversation while we waited for our food. My sister ordered mussels, which were delish. I ordered blue claw crabs. I don't have words for how good they were. No words. Salivatin' just thinking about it. I posted a pic that I took of Joe. We will definitely be back. If you don't go there at least once, you don't know what you're missing! Thanks Joe and staff!

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We ordered the broiled seafood combination. It was very good. The shrimp was jumbo, the 2 scallops melted in your mouth and the crab cake didnt have filler
We also ordered the lobster roll. I was disappointed because it was on a mini hotdog roll and didnt have enough filling. Not worth $15.95. The French fries and coleslaw that came with it were very good. The ff had a coating on them that made them special. We also ordered the white crab chowder. It was filled with crab,light creamy broth and had a kick to it. Here's where it left a bad taste in my mouth. It is on the menu as $4.95 and when we got the bill we were charged $5.95. We figured it was a mistake but the waitress said the owner decided that the white would now be $5.95. I say then inform the customer when they order or change the price on the menu. We felt duped and consider this a violation of consumer rights. Shame on the Owner!!!

candsshack, Manager at Crab and Seafood Shack, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

I am sorry for any confusion you may have had concerning our pricing. We serve two types of crab chowder, a tomato based one and a creamed one. When our menu prices were printed we only served the tomato based one, and the cost was calculated and presented; subsequently we began to serve the creamed one and unfortunately the cost was considerably higher to produce and serve. Our menu prices could not reflect this since they could not be changed since they are prepared prior to the season. It was suggested by our supplier to increase the cost of the crème soup to cover this short fall or discontinue the soup; several of our previous patrons wanted us to continue serving the crème soup and had no problem with the increase. I do believe our waitress explained this to you, I did not just want to charge more for the crème soup. When you paid your bill I asked you if everything was OK, you said that it was and everything was very good, I wish you had expressed your displeasure at that time, I would have attempted to please you then; we want every patron to have a pleasurable experience when dinning with us.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I am a local and have been reading the excellent reviews on this place so we decided to try it. We ordered take out (although a few tables were open for seating, it felt too cramped) broiled crabcakes and my daughter had the fried butterfly shrimp.When we brought the order home, I was very turned off immediately because I didn't get any cocktail or tarter sauce!! I specfically asked when paying if the sauces were in the bags and getting home and plating everything....no sauce. Lucky for me, I live right by Rick's seafood in anglesea and had to get in the car again and get my dipping sauce. Not a great first impression, especially when they cater in mostly take out orders. The food, honestly was no big deal....I've had much better crabcakes at Rio Station (excellent homemade crabcakes, no filler) and you really can't screw up fried shrimp. Prices were normal for seafood platters. I really just thought I would of been blown away with the food reading all these excellent reviews but I wasn't. Nothing special and you can get much more of an atmosphere and quality for less.

Melissa, you are correct; there is no excuse for not having the condiments for the dinner you ordered, we apologize for that, I do wish you would have called and advised us, one of our staff or myself would have brought them to you; yes, unfortunately we have done this a few times before. Many patrons have expressed their pleasure with out crabcakes, we also serve them with no filler, I am sorry they are not to your particular taste. We want everyone to have a pleasurable experience when visiting us.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very well prepared seafood - had the Lobster roll, crab chowder and broiled seafood platter and each was very good. All the food is served in to-go containers, but frankly the seafood was better prepared and about half the cost of the much fancier restaurants around Wildwood. An added bonus was the owner came to the table and talked to us about how he prepares the food and a little restaurant history. It's a BYOB and the waitress told us where to buy a bottle of wine 2 blocks away. In short a fine place for a very casual seafood feast.

1  Thank richardpusa