“Step back into the 1960's”
Review of Sunflower Motel

Sunflower Motel
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I generally hate motels. So I went to the Sunflower with a bit of a bias against it. Keep in mind almost every facility that rents rooms in Wildwood is a motel with outside room entrances and is over 40 years old. No Marriotts or Sheraton's here. When I made the reservation about a month before my stay, the person on the phone did not want a credit card and did not give me a confirmation number. She said she trusted me to show up. I guess I had to trust her to keep my reservation. When we arrived late in the evening, we had to ring the bell outside the office. Sandra came out and opend the door for us. She and her husband live in an apartment behind the office with a large, but quiet, dog. She was very pleasant and checking in went very well. The entire motel is elevated so there is a parking area at street level. You need to climb the stairs to get to the first floor. Something to consider if you have problems with stairs. The room itself was spotless. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had the standard setup. They did not supply shampoo. The room was 12 x 12 with no closet. There was a rack where you could hang things up. The room also had a small refridgerator, a microwave and a clock radio. Very basic and a little sparce, but it worked for what we needed. There is an outdoor heated pool and a deck overlooking it on the "first" floor. The Sunflower is a block and a half from the boardwalk. All things considered, I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Amys_husband

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Sandra and Ernie are two of the most wonderful people/owners. they take a special interest in their clients comfort and happiness. It was my wife`s birthday and they went out of their way to have the family sing Happy Birthday and present her with a cake. These people are a blessing to have as friends. OH, by the way their motel is immaculate and their maids are great. We will defiantly be seeing them again !

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Vincent F
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This was our first time as a whole family going on a multi day trip. i will be totally honest our first choice was the Marlane but they where booked so we instead choose the sunflower and i could not have been happier the owners are good people who are very friendly. the place was clean and comfy and very well run. even thou we got chased out by a hurricane and had to leave early. i would still pick this hotel if we come back. location is amazing so close to the middle of everything.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank firestopr
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The owners, Ernie and Sandra take a personal and vested interest in their property as well as their clients. They made it their business to get to know us. Their personal care was herculean in helping us to evacuate for Hurricane Irene. Ernie drove our family to the bus station ahead of the masses and we parted with a genuine concern for each other. Few corporations could understand how much civility matters.

The property itself was quite clean and well maintained. The pool was a treasure for our children, and the deck chairs and tables provided a real holiday atmosphere. The maids attentively cleaned our rooms on a daily basis. The property is situated a block and a half behind the boardwalk, which made the noise level at a minimum. Although they do not feature a breakfast option, there are plenty of cheap options strewn about the boardwalk ($2.99 for two eggs, two strips of bacon, and toast seem to be the special around here!)

Ernie and Sandra get my vote for innkeepers of the year!

Room Tip: Book by phone, Sandra and Ernie will give you their best rates.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Zaru25
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Very clean, prime location and great service! Love the folks that run this place, received a free day for a 5 night stay, definitely a recommended place for couples of families on a budget

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SiamesePrincess
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Me and my family have been coming here for years now. We used to stay in one of the rooms but now rent one of the apartments now for week. Sandra and ernie have been great to us and we are always greated with a smile.this is like our home away from home and they are just like family to us. The place is very clean which is better then a lot of other place we stayed at. I absolutly love it here and can't wait til next year. Keep up the good work guys!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank jsandre
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We rented an apartment for one week I have never met a nicer owner they were very kind and generous. The rooms were very large and the bathroom was brand new. The kitchen was very clean and came with everything you need. I have never stayed anywhere that was a better bargain. I will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed: August 2011