“BREACH OF CONTRACT”

Royal Canadian Motel
Ranked #45 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed June 23, 2005

I booked a reservation on Thursday, June 23, 2005 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday (6/24-27/05). I was given a price of $375.00 and my credit card was ran. I received a message on my answering machine that stated they quoted me that there were no rooms available on Sunday and the price would be $375 for Friday and Saturday. I talked to the manager and she informed me that for $410. that I could get a room for Sunday. I expressed my concerns stating that we had an agreement for $375 for three nights. She then stated that she didn't have any rooms for Sunday. I told her that I would be happy to pay $125. a night for Friday and Saturday and she said she could not do that. I asked to talk to her supervisor and she stated that she was not there and they would call me back. I called back and the manager stated that there is no longer a reservation and now there are no rooms available. I am very disappointed. When you have a contract with someone it should be legal and binding. If I failed to show up for my reservation, they would have charged my credit card for it. I now am forced to stay at a hotel that is further away and costing me $550. This is outrageous.

5  Thank Margie F

New Jersey
Reviewed June 3, 2005

The staff is extremely rude and abrubt. They really aren't concerned with any problems you have and the company that owns them does not have a phone number, so you really have no one to complain to. The prices are astronomical, especially for HS seniors! And the place is disgusting!

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 20, 2005

My fiance and I were interested in going to the car show up on the boardwalk in May 2005. I booked this hotel at the last minute, and it looked really nice online. They advertised it as a resort with much to do, but the hotel was much to do about nothing. When we arrived at the hotel, the clerk told us that we had to pay $10.00 on the spot for our phone and key deposit. We would get it back at the end of our stay. This was never mentioned when I made the reservation and I was lucky to have some cash onhand. We entered the room, and this is what we found.

I immediately check the laundry and the beds anymore because of my past experiences with other hotels throughout my travels which were not so clean. I found a washcloth that was stained with several dark yellow blotches. YELLOW. The one TV had a busted out power button, and they didn't supply any remotes for either TV (2 TVs). I went to the office and told the clerk and an older gentleman behind the counter that the cloth was filfthy and I would never use it. They both looked at each other and then the woman said, "I wouldn't use it either." She gave me two new clothes from a backroom where who knows what is kept, seeing that she didn't turn the light on in the room. I also obtained a remote and the reply I got was, "Yeah, we have three TVs like that." I returned to the room and checked the towels one more time and found another cloth I would never touch. There were also a host of other problems. We rented an efficiency and weren't given any soap or cloths to wash the dishes, which I thought was odd, so we placed them in the sink. The bedroom carpet was absolutely filfthy. You could see vacuum marks, but the carpet was very dingey. Whene I went to take a shower, there were several pieces of "private" hair on the shower walls, which I had to wash down the drain before using the shower so I didn't have to look at them. There wasn't even an alarm clock supplied. The chairs in the front room were very dirty. I didn't even want to sit on them. You had to push on the door moderately hard for it close, and there was only one lock on the door.

When we checked out, the woman had to radio to someone to check our room before we got our $10.00 deposit. This is when I found out that they had to inspect your room on check out to get your deposit back, which wasn't stated when she asked for it on check in. Keep in mind, the deposit was never even mentioned at the time I made the reservation. I had to stand in line and wait (which could be very embarassing for someone who left the room in a not so neat condition) for my room to be cleared. I've never been to a hotel before that did such things.

The only plus I found was that the pool was very clean. That was the first thing that we noticed on arrival with a friend. Extremely clean pool area.

This hotel is definitely not recommended as a resort. There is nothing resort about it. It is located near the center of the boardwalk, about 2 blocks away, which is ok, but so are so many other hotels. Read the reviews and decide for yourself. I know I will definitely do more research than what I did for this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: May 2005
Maywood, NJ
Reviewed May 15, 2005

My family stayed there in Aug 2002. The room smelled like urine and mold. When you used the electrical sockets, you got shocked. The TV in the bedroom did not work. We had maid service in the 8 nights that we were there I think 3 times. I requested a crib for my son who was 2 at the time; it came at 11 pm. The stove did not work.

When checking in, they had an incredible dollhouse in the lobby. My daughter who was 5 at the time was admiring it (touching it). The woman behind the desk practically jumped over the counter to get her away from it.

After noticing the broken and unsafe objects in the room, we were going to complain, but witnessed two other guests were not satisfied with their rooms either. They got kicked out. Since I didn't want to be left in Wildwood with 2 small children and no room, I decided to keep my mouth shut.

I notified AAA & the Board of Health with no response.

• Stayed: August 2002
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 19, 2005

I stayed at the royal canadian with my family for Irish/Car weekend two years in a row. The motel is relatively clean for Wildwood, and is in a great location for those that spend alot of time of the boardwalk. However, if you want to take your family I wouldn't recommend this weekend. The first year everything was great until around midnight. The cars for the show began to come down the street showing off by reving engines and spinning tires. Many on lookers gathered on the corner and cheered. My family and I had a hard time sleeping, and with a 4 year old is wasn't peasant.
This was not really the fault of the motel, and the cops eventually broke up the gathering, so we decided to go back again. My sister in law took care of ordering the room, but when we recieved our key is was two rooms down from where we were supposed to be. The reason was there was a wedding and reception at the motel. Once again we were unable to sleep, due to the fact that a dj showed up for this wedding reception on the deck about 15 feet away from our door. Although the management is nice and helpful, we were unhappy with the fact that we were not even informed that there would be a reception on the deck. Needless to say, we decided to go somewhere else next year.

• Stayed: September 2003
Reviewed March 8, 2005

Booked this hotel for August 2004 for 3 nights and had to secure a deposit of $300.00. Arrived, checked in, and paid the balance and the key deposit. We were given a room (me, my wife, and two young children) and we opened the door and this is what we saw: the refrigerator was moved to a different location in the room and the old location had exposed wiring, the tub had a dirty ring around it, the carpeting was filthy, and the room had a strong odor of bacon to it. We went back to the office and told them of our findings. They looked at each other and booked us a different room. This room was at the top floor. As my FAMILY walked to the room past the others, we noticed a group of people standing outside their rooms drinking beer. This is fine. Everyone has their own vacation and what they want to do. But as we passed, two of the men made lewd remarks to my wife as she passed. We got to the "new" room and the ash tray was filled with cigarettes, there was a present left for us in the toilet, and stains which looked like "DNA evidence" on the chair. We went back to the office, this time my wife and kids separated from the men by me, and explained the room to the desk. They said they hadn't gotten to that room to clean it yet. We told them we weren't interested in the hotel and asked for our money back. They gave us our balance and nothing else. They told us our deposit is non-refundable. We didn't get our key deposit back either. We ended up staying in Wildwood Crest where things were MUCH nicer. If you are going to Wildwood to party and are not worried about the cleanliness of the rooms, this is your hotel. If you are even one bit concerned about cleanliness, DO NOT stay here. Oh yeah, the pool sucked. PS. I have been trying for months to get my deposit back and have received no return e-mails or letters from the owners. Check the BBB on this place.

• Stayed: August 2004
10  Thank skydyver89
Reviewed August 30, 2004

I went a few days ago. The hotel was the nicest in North Wildwood. That is not so much a compliment. The hotel I would say is about a three star. WHile the rest of the hotels are about a 1 star. They have nice staff working there, and a very nice and clean pool. I give it such a high rating for the town, not overall of everything I've gone to. This is not a place for people that like to remain busy. There is not really alot to do except relax. The hotel is really close to the boardwalk, which is where all the main action is, but the beach is still a large walk because of all the sand to get to the beach. The rating before me I believe are people that stayed nextdoor to me. ANyways overall only go to North WIldwood if you plan a relaxing trip. If you go there you must stay in this hotel, as this looks like a castle compared to the rest

6  Thank Daf10