“Average at Best”
Review of Tide Winds Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wildwood
Tide Winds Motel
Ranked #36 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
Maryland
“Average at Best”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This motel is average at best if not poor. I rated it average due to the age of the motel; it is old and worn. After complaining about our first room due to smelling smokey they changed us to another room which turned out to be ok. The second room smelled much better and appeared clean at first. They considered it a renovated room but the bathroom fixtures were old and the carpet was filthy. Some of the good features were that the refrigerator and microwave were spotless and Connie in the office provided great service. We did not use the pool but it did not look inviting at all. It is very small and the water looks very cloudy and dirty overall. The one bedroom unit was very old and worn down.

Overall I would not recommend staying at this motel if you are accustomed to staying at newer cleaner accommodations. If you cannot find any other motels then the Tide Winds will do if you are in a jam. I never felt comfortable there.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The only positive thing I can say is that the location is great. One block away from the beach/boardwalk. We stayed during beach blast and the nightly rate was less then most other hotels.
When checking in, I was not expecting a 5-star hotel - its wildwood, almost all the hotels here are older and need some updating.
When I walked into the room I was shocked how disgusting it was! I almost had tears - but there wasnt much to do as we were on a budget and all hotels were booked for this event.
The table and chairs were so old - the table cover looked like something my great grandmother had (plastic, really ugly colors). The dressers had dust all over them. There was saw dust all over the floor - aparently they had to sand the door a little so it would close properly and never vaccuumed. We found out it was saw dust because we had someone come to the room to fix our fridge and he noticed the pile of dust.
I cant say much about the bed room since I didnt sleep in there. I slept on the couch each night.
I never even once thought about using the kitchen - I can honestly say I didnt even check out the dishes as I know I would never think about using them.
The bathroom - absolutely nasty! I cringe just thinking about it. I used bottled water to brush my teeth. The tub was all dirty/moldy. The towel rack was broke - one side of the rack was ripped/broke off the wall. The hotel didnt even think about fixing this?!
Also you have to PAY for ice...
The location was great - but never ever again will my family stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank chochrei

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood hotels

Paterson, New Jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Just returned from a week at the Tide Winds. Did not know what to expect b/c of the other reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. We stayed there b/c my friend has a small dog, and this was the best reviewed of the pet friendly hotels in Wildwood.

Keep in mind that this is a WILDWOOD hotel... not the Ritz! I've stayed in many hotels in Wildwood/Wildwood Crest, and most have been similar. Older/dated furniture, lots of people hanging out outside talking, grilling or swimming, not the best decor in the world. Tide Winds is consistent with most other hotels that I have stayed at in Wildwood. However in a nutshell, the management was VERY nice and accommodating, the rooms were very clean, the TV in the living room had a ton of channels, the pool was exceptionally clean and well-cared for...and along with all that, my friend had the peace of mind of bringing her small dog along with her on vacation and not leaving her with a stranger.

With a little TLC this place could be great, basically all it needs is to have the furniture upgraded a little bit and maybe the decor (such as a lamp shade on the light in the LR). My only big criticisms were that the beds were really hard (but I like a soft mattress so if you're not like that you'll think I'm crazy) and there was no air conditioner or TV in the bedroom. A tip -- my friend and I went and bought a Blizzard fan at CVS and it was enough to draw the air from the living room and make the bedroom cool enough. I was going to return it at the end of the week which the CVS salesperson said a lot of people do, but I actually liked it so much I'm going to use it at home.

The owner was very accomodating when we requested something. I requested more pillows right off the bat b/c there was only 1 on the bed (twin) and I sleep with about 3. Then my friend requested more the next day, and we got them right away. When it rained unexpectedly 2 days of our vacation and we decided to stay an extra day - she finagled the rooms so that we would not have to move rooms (she only had 1 room available, which was a bigger room - so she moved the people that were coming in to the bigger room -- benefited both of us), and she let us have a little bit of a later checkout so that we could leave the dog while we went and ate breakfast.

The bedroom furniture was probably from the 70s, and the bedding was typical hotel bedding, but all was clean. I do not use the comfortors in hotels anyway, just pretty much the sheet over my legs. This hotel was no exception to that rule. The mattresses were firm, and some of the pillows were on the thinner side, but they are very accommodating if you wanted more (I think between my friend and I we had about 10). We had a spastic outlet, which got fixed when we were there, and there were actually 2 more outlets in the room which is unusual for a hotel. I was a little dissappointed that the beds in the 2 room efficiency was a double and a twin, not 2 doubles, but my friend booked the reservation, so she probably didn't realize. I've heard that the ones on the 2nd floor have 2 doubles, so next time I'll go with one of those (but physically it's the 3rd floor, the rooms up there are just in the 200s).

The bathroom was big for Wildwood standards (used to it being very small), and the shower was OK once you figured out how the hot water worked (figure it out while it's running as a tub, then when you get the temp right, push the button for the shower...makes it easier!). Warning, there is no rubber grippies on the tub, so if you are a klutz, look out, it's slippery :)

The livingroom/kitchen (2 room efficiency) area was square in shape, couch, 2 burners, sink, refrig/freezer, toaster, microwave and coffee maker, then a small table with 3 chairs. We had enough cabinet/storage space, there were plates/cups/silverware/bowls ect in cabinet (which seemed clean - though we didn't use everything, only bowls and silverware) and it was plenty of room for 2 people. The room sleeps 6 according to the brochure. (I'd say 2 adults 3 kids at most). We had my friend's sister and 2 kids there for one night, and it was fine. I'd imagine after a week though, I'd be ready to pull my hair out b/c we'd be tripping over each other though.

The pool was REALLY clean and a nice temperature. We only used it once though. There was a large group with tons of kids there the week we were there, so the majority of the time it was too crazy to even get in there, but we are going back Labor day weekend, so I'm kind of hoping we will be able to get a couple of swims in, b/c it was really clean and the temperature was perfect the one time we did use it.

To let you know about location, this hotel is located behind the park that is across the street from the Convention Center/Boardwalk. It is about 2 blocks from the ocean from my estimate. About a 10 minute walk from front door to oceanfront (partly due to the fact that the beach is so long! LOL) However, it's close enough that you don't have to pay to park during the day or at night, so in the long run -- you save about 5-10 a day parking.

The only think is, I would NOT recommend this hotel for someone that is handicapped or has trouble walking as there were no elevators that I saw, and only stairs.

Pet fee is $20 a day - she says she uses it to pay for any damage pets do.... though I have a feeling most pets do not do damage, however the ones that don't make up for the few that do b/c the damage can be expensive (a.k.a - she said one ruined a pullout couch a couple of weeks ago, which had to be replaced at $900). The maids are very respectful of your pets, and clean carefully so that it is not evident that pets are there.

I gave this a 4 out of 5 b/c it really could use an upgrade furniture-wise, and the TV and A/C not being in the bedroom is a big thing for me. However, if that's not a dealbreaker for you, then up the rating. Obviously not a dealbreaker for me either, I'm going back there on Labor day weekend. I will add my review of a 1-BR efficiency after that :)

Room Tip: 2 room efficiencies are bigger on the 2nd floor (but it's technically the 3rd floor).
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2011

So here's my story and whoever says this motle is a nice place there either getting paid by the owner or is the owner to write it ! Me and my friend went there in august we gave a deposit of $200 and two times I called the deposit amount had changed from $140 to $200 so I gave the $200 then we got there and paid $90 . When we were walking to the room there were dirty plungers next to the stairs and we entered the room first off the lock didn't work it was rusted then I opened the door there were flys and the rug was so dark with wet stains and the smell should of been enough for us to walk out !!! The

so called" kitchen table " from the so called kitchenette that comes with the room was rusted , the chair were stained , and I wouldnt eat out of any of those cups or bowls if u paid me !!!! There were lipstick marks on the cups and ants crawling alll over the counters !! The bathroom shower tiles were off the bathroom was so dicusting!! The only thing we complained about was the bed sheets were dirty with god nos what on those sheets , we asked for new ones and she said yea I'm sorry we wash our own stuff and sometimes stains can't come out , me and my friend were like ok , so then we saw that the pillow cases were dirty and she took a pillow case out of a black trash bag that didn't even match our sheet set and said here and we had to make our bed up with new sheets !!!! After that we decided to go down stairs and tell them we wanted our money back but by then "Connie" the owner left , so the guy at the front desk if that's what u want to call it " Joe Meyer " was so rude when we told him we had ants he said there's nothing he could do the owner left and asked us not bother him cause he was very busy , so we decided to ask for our money back and he put me on his cell phone with the owner Connie,i asked if we could at least have half of our money back and she said no I've gave u clean sheets , and I can't do anything about the ants so take the $90 and leave or your not getting anything , and hung up on me !!! I thought to myself wow what a perfesional owner,Besides her looking dirty ! And the other kid working , I think there was something wrong with him , who tells someone not to bother them ?? So basically we paid $200 for a rooom for 3 hrs !! I never write reviews but I'm telling you please don't go there it was so dirty and the so called staff of tell people were so rude to us !!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Ldpam
conniemeyer820, Owner at Tide Winds Motel, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
This guest arrived with her friend on August 5th, 2011. After arriving, the guest complained about her sheets, the bathroom, and supposedly having ants in her room. After giving her new sheets & bedspread & offered to make the bed which they said they would do it themselves, checking for any ants (of which there were none) and answering numerous other complaints, the guest was still unhappy. We then offered thems to switch to another vacant room, which offer she accepted. After giving her additional towels and an ashtray to use outside of her new room, the guest explained that she was finally happy with her room.

An hour later the guests came down to the office and asked where Seaside Heights, N.J. was located. The guest was apparently under the mistaken belief that New Jersey only had one boardwalk, which she thought existed only in Seaside Heights. When the guest was told that Wildwood's boardwalk was not the same boardwalk as that located in Seaside Heights, the guest again became unhappy. She explained that she booked her vacation on the mistaken belief that she would be visiting the town that previously hosted MTV's show: "The Jersey Shore." Since this show was based out of Seaside Heights, N.J., and not Wildwood, the guest explained that she was leaving and wanted a refund. The guest stayed at our motel all day, dirtied two separate rooms, and complained incessantly during their stay. While it is our policy to not give refunds after a guest checks in, we did refund this guest her amount paid minus her deposit. The guest accepted this refund and went on her way to (supposedly) Seaside Heights.

The next day, this guest phoned our establishment again, demanding an additional refund. When she was told that we would not give her additional money back, she again became unhappy and subsequently wrote this review about my establishment. Anything short of bringing the cast members of MTV's "Jersey Shore" to Wildwood would have been unsatisfactory for this guest.
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This is the 1st time we stayed at the Tide Winds, it was recommended to us by a friend, and that recommendation was great because the Tide Winds Motel is terrific. It's a family-run motel (Connie is the lady in charge and she is so very nice) and oriented towards families - and what a fabulous location. It's 2 blocks to the Convention Center, the beach, and the boardwalk. For the price, you just can't beat it. It's a motel like out of the 50's, but so nice and clean. Our room had a good-sized mini refrigerator and a microwave and flat-screen TV, and super-comfortable beds. The motel pool is so clean, and even has a very shallow end for tots - it doesn't start out at 3 feet deep like most pools. If you're looking for a really good motel with an easy walk to everything Wildwood has to offer, at very reasonable rates,the Tide Winds Motel is the place to choose. We'll be back there!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lorraine60786
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I was grateful to find a place where we cold vacation with our pet Husky. The maids were fabulous and very accomodating. The bright lights made it difficult for our teens who slept in the living room pull out. The room was much smaller than the picture on the website makes it appear.. There was a youth group staying the same week as us. Despite signs stating all is quiet after 11 management allowed them to chant and drum from 11 to midnight each night despite the unhappiness of guests with children. Had they informed us of this we would have opted for a different motel. The location was perfect for staying with teens for everything is close by to keep them entertained. The free wifi was unpredictable.

Room Tip: I heard rumor the second floor rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We just got back from another visit to the Tide Winds Motel. We always have a wonderful visit and Connie (owner) is the nicest lady. The location is wonderful! It is less than a block from an amazing playground that our son loved. We walked all over and ate some yummy food. When not wanting to eat out we had a lovely kitchen complete with appliances, dishes, etc to cook with. The pool was clean. The room, while older, was in good condition for being older. The beds were comfy and you can't beat the price in Wildwood for the location and service. We will actually be returning for another visit later this summer. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wildwood
Esplanade Suites, a Sundance Vacations Resort
#2 of 76 in Wildwood
Beach Colony Resort Motel
Beach Colony Resort Motel
#1 of 7 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Tide Winds Motel? Share your experiences!