“Surprisingly Vegetarian-Friendly”

Cuisines: American
Description: Good diner
Description: Good diner
Reviewed March 9, 2014

There aren't a ton of places to stop off the highway in this area of New Jersey, and I wasn't all that thrilled when my starving family decided to stop here. I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and I usually know that "diner" usually means I'll be eating a grilled cheese and fries. I was completely wrong! They had a huge menu that included quite a few things for me to choose from. I even had trouble deciding! I thought the atmosphere was pretty nice compared to a lot of other places I've been with "diner" in the name. I'd definitely go there again!

Reviewed January 30, 2014

While I think it's maybe just a bit above average with some of the menu items they have to offer, it's still a diner. The food is average, the atmosphere is average and the service is average. One time, we actually had to leave because the booth at which we were seated was crawling with ants. They offered to move us, but at that point, I was so disgusted that I didn't want to stay there. I understand that these things can't be helped at times, but it was enough for me to not want to stay. We did go back, though, so I'm not that heartless. That being said, the food is just okay and probably what you would expect from a diner. I hope this isn't coming across as a scathing review because truly, it's not intended to be that way. If you're in the mood for a burger and fries or maybe breakfast for dinner, Readington Diner serves that purpose.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stopped here with my family on our road trip from North Carolina to Long Island, NY and we loved it. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. This was my wife's first experience up north and this place made an awesome impression. Will definitely be stopping back in if we make the trip again.

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have been eating at the Readington Diner since we moved to the area in 2004. Andy and Tina, the former owners, have now moved on apparently. The place actually started to go downhill a bit a few years ago when it became obvious by the menu changes and price increases that the management was trying to squeeze more profits out of smaller portions/options at higher costs. The quality of food can be hit or miss. I often get either broiled or breaded pork chops for dinner. On my most recent visit last week the broiled version was dessicated...so dry they'd wick moisture from a soggy basement. We don't go for b'fast too often but they usually do a decent job there. While the Spinning Wheel recently changed hands, too, they do offer a more complete diner experience and a better value for the dollar. They offer soup and salad w/ entrees and choices of sides. The Readington offers entree and a choice of 2 sides...u can get soup or salad but they count as a side choice. The staff at the Readington seems to change quite often but the service is generally ok. Bottom line: the addition of a better establishment within a 3 mile radius will draw us to it immediately...nothing special to keep us going to the Readington. I would think the new owner(s) would want to improve things and add some value quickly. One piece of advice...don't ever order pasta with anything...tasteless and over cooked.

3  Thank Greg L
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Readington Diner has definitely assumed the role as the "go to" place to eat in the area, especially since the a Spinning Wheel Diner changed ownership and declined overnight. The Readington Diner serves delicious, huge portions of all kinds of food. Most people will leave with a "doggy bag" to enjoy at home a day or two later. As an added bonus, they have a liquor license so you can have a beer or other drink (or 2 or 3) with your meal. However, it's not a typical sit down "bar," just a restaurant with tables and booths. As a result, you are not likely to encounter loud people or drunks as you might at a bar. Definitely a comfortable place for families, business lunch, etc. Highly recommended.