“A Pleasant Average Stay in need of Customer Service”
Review of Hanover Marriott

Hanover Marriott
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Whippany
Kalispell, Montana
“A Pleasant Average Stay in need of Customer Service”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Let me start by saying first and foremost, this was a nice hotel with rooms that were dated but well kept. One could tell that care was taken to make repairs, repaint and perform other maintenance when required. My wife and I were only staying for one night so we didn't get a whole lot of exposure to all the services the hotel had to offer but the ones we did were good. As you can see from my ratings below, this hotel only made it to an average rating and below I will tell you why I feel it didn't make it to "Very Good" level.

1 - The service at the front desk as I checked in was good but the clerk made no effort to go above and beyond or offer me an upgrade. I made some small talk and found out that the hotel was only at 70% capacity so with us only being there for the night an upgrade should have been a no-brainier. Even if the club floor was full there had to be upgrades from our basic "King" room. This was an unpleasant surprise.

2 - We were directed to park on the side of the building to come in through an entrance other than the main door. When we got parked and up to the door with our luggage there was no way in the door without climbing twenty of more stairs (see photo). This showed a clear lack of attention to detail as the clerk should have asked about our luggage. I think he was more interested in other things.

3 - I have no idea why hotels do this but please do not put water bottles in my room with a tag that has small print that says "A charge will be billed to your room if consumed" (see photo). This is a cheesy tactic and one best left for lesser organizations than Marriott. If I want to buy water I will buy water. how about offering complimentary water for your Rewards members? That would leave a much better experience.

4 - When the coffee machine in the room is stocked it would be best to best to leave two of each type of coffee as often times it will be a couple staying in the room. If it is only one in the room there is no harm in having the ability to make two cups of coffee. My wife and I awoke to just one caffeinated coffee packet for the two of us (see photo). Once again, not a pleasant customer focused experience.

5 - We used the Club Lounge when we arrived at the hotel to have a night cap (water/juice/fruit) and saw the attendant sitting at one of the business stations reading the Internet. She did not greet us nor ask if we needed assistance. Certain items were also out on the counter and she had not restocked the items or removed the dishes if the items were not available to be re-stocked. I know these are little things but they add up to a less than professional presentation my Marriott who prides itself on being professional and catering to families and business travelers.

I know I am a bit critical but I hope it is constructive and Marriott will take my input as an opportunity to improve their image at this location. For me, it takes more than just doing one's job to get "Very Good" rating and a hotel must be way above and beyond on customer service and experience to get an "Excellent". I do not give these rating away and take this probably more serious than others. I would recommend this hotel to others as I think they are on the verge of "Very Good" but just don't expect to be over whelmed with customer service or a memorable stay. You'll most likely get a good stay that will serve it's purpose.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience from your recent visit - there are obviously many areas where we could have done a better job and gone above and beyond. I agree with you that the Marriott name is not one that should convey "average" - and average is not what we strive for. We will certainly take this feedback to heart and find ways to improve and do better.

Feel free to reach out to me at 973-898-6426 or dross@hanovermarriott.com if you would like to discuss your experience further. If you are planning another trip to the area please let me know, and thank you again for sharing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Very convenient location for my business meetings in Parsippany area.

Very nice, modern design to the hotel lobby area. Very helpful front desk staff, very friendly and efficient.

I had stayed here once previously and had a room that was affected by noise from the lobby below. I called ahead this time and had mentioned that and asked if there was anything that could be done to avoid that noisy area. When I arrived, they had assigned me a room in a different section of the hotel and it was perfect-- quiet, comfortable, etc. I am looking forward to staying here again next month for another business trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CindeeP
David R, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Excellent - thank you for the feedback about your prior visit, and I'm glad you were able to get a good night's rest for your business meeting. Thank you for highlighting all of the updated features of the hotel, and for commending our staff. We have an amazing hotel and truly have some great people working here who will do anything it takes to make your stay with us enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you on your next business trip to the Parsippany area!
Westwood, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The assistant front desk manager, Corey Blafer, was very helpful and courteous to me during my stay at this Marriott. I usually have a hard time falling asleep but the bed was so comfortable that I was asleep in no time. If I am ever back in this area I will surely return to this hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
David R, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I'll be sure to pass your comments along to Corey from our Front Desk. We agree that our beds are extremely comfy, so thank you for your review! We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again soon.
East Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, new, modern, quiet, convenient. Beds are comfy. Nice stay!

Closely situated to the movies, shopping areas on route 10. Staff is friendly and helpful.

A little tricky getting into the hotel off the highway - you may miss the turn. We did - twice! :)

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
We're so happy that you enjoyed the hotel, and thank you for highlighting the many modern features and benefits we have to offer. We appreciate your comments about missing the hotel entrance (twice) - we have recently added some more signage off the highway, so we hope you find us on your first go-around on your next visit. Thank you again for the review!
South Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here after a wedding in the area. The rooms were modern, clean and spacious and unusually quiet. We were not disturbed by any hall noise during the night. Plenty of parking. The staff were particularly courteous and helpful. Right off the main lobby is an Irish Pub that is open late. There is even a self-serve wine bar in the main lobby. There is also an American grill restaurant on site - perhaps a bit pricy for breakfast - but it is convenient as there are no restaurants within easy walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words, and for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Hanover Marriott. We truly have a fantastic hotel and team, and I hope we receive the chance to welcome you back again soon!
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm somebody who prefers home to hotels, so this is a place that I like a lot. Have just spent 4 nights and the staff are incredibly welcoming and helpful, going out of their way to ensure you are happy and looked after. Complimentary rides to local offices and even late pick ups, great restaurant, and an airy, roomy feel. How hotels should be

• Stayed October 2013
Doug V, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Wow! What a great review! Thank you so much for comparing our hotel to the comfort of home. This is truly what we strive for with our guests and our associates, and you couldn't have paid us a higher compliment. I'm glad that the rooms were comfortable but more importantly, I'm thrilled to hear that you received consistently excellent service for an extended stay. We look forward to have you back and please let us know how we can customize your future visits.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice place to stay. I was a little concerned prior to arrival, because it was only rated a #4 in the Marriott program. I was quite surprised to see spacious, well appointed rooms. Better rooms than the Marriott at Newark Airport, which is rated a #5. Staff at the front desk are pleasant and courteous. My favorite is Stacy, who helped me get a quiet room at the end of the hallway. Prices are a little expensive during the week, but excellent value on the weekend. I recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I so glad that you found the rooms to be comfortable and attractive. Great news about your service at the front desk; I will pass along your compliment to Stacy......frankly, we are very proud of the entire team as they consistently host our guests in brilliant fashion. Please come back and stay with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whippany
HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Sheraton Parsippany Hotel
Sheraton Parsippany Hotel
#6 of 16 in Parsippany

Been to Hanover Marriott? Share your experiences!