“Unprofessional, Unappreciative”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Whippany
Ijamsville, Maryland
“Unprofessional, Unappreciative”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband is a Gold member, and has stayed at Marriott locations over 20 times a year for many years. He arrived at this location after a long trip only to find the hotel overbooked, and he had no room. To boot, there were no other rooms available in a 20 mile radius. At 11:30 at night, he was forced to drive 30 minutes away from his meeting just to find a place to sleep.

Business travelers beware - the last thing you want is a hotel that routinely overbooks, leaving you without a room when you have appointments and work to do. Skip this hotel and find another establishment that appreciates your business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank lvshack
Doug V, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your very candid remarks. We are aware of the situation that impacted your husband, and our leadership team (including myself) is addressing how this came about. We will train closely on the subject to avoid a future occurence, and we are very grateful for your husband and all of our loyal guests. As you read through the majority of the posted comments, you will see that this was a clear aberration from our high standard for service excellence. I sincerely apologize for the situation and the inconvenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel and the service were great. However during multiple stays over the past few months i have noticed a musty smell in some of the rooms and most disturbingly the concierge lounge has a horrible odor as soon as you walk in. This has been an ongoing issue during all of my time here. As soon as you walk in the door it smells like a combination of burnt coffee and spoiled garbage - I don't understand how this issue has not been corrected,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Doug V, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and our service, but please know that we have already begun to explore your concern. If you would kindly email me directly (dvarsano@hanovermarriott.com), I would like to get some additional information that will allow us to investigate the issue further. Thanks again and we hope you'll return again soon.
Hull, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was a second home to me for 2 months. Nice staff - always with a smile and hello to greet you when you arrive to when you leave. The could be more diligent in registering the points when you execute on the "Green initiative" to opt out of having your room cleaned and get 500 points/nt. There were many weeks that passed before my account showed the points posted, but once I complained to the manager, it was taken care of immediately and it didn't happened again, hopefully it stays that way. Honestly don't know what there is to do around here, as I was working all the time, but the hotel restaurant was ok if you like pub grub. If you have access to the concierge lounge, you are lucky, because the BEST, most genuinely nice woman who goes out of her way all the time works the evening shift - her name is Claudia! Always has a smile on your face and you know she isn't fake! She is always there to help you. She will be missed the most by me once my project is over. Hopefully I will get to visit again soon!

Room Tip: There is no spa, that I'm aware of, which is the reason for the average rating. The higher floo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Doug V, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
First and foremost, thank you very much for allowing our hotel and team to be your home away from home for two months. I'm very glad that you were able to take advantage of the Green Room Initiative. We'll look into the points concern that you raised to avoid any future delay in receiving the award. Claudia does a fantastic job in the Lounge and she is just one example of some of the amazing guest service professionals that we have on our team. Hope to see you soon.
Saddle River, New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights as part of a convention. I was very pleased with the service. The front desk staff was friendly and polite. When checking in, the line moved quickly, yet I didn't feel like I was being rushed. I called down from my room at one point and they greeted me by name. The rooms were very clean, the beds very comfortable, and I appreciated all my requests being filled with no problems.

• Stayed May 2013
Great news! I'm glad that your arrival experience was smooth and that you were received with a warm welcome. Also, pleased to hear that all of your requests were accommodated. Please come back and visit again soon.
Islip Terrace, New York, United States
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hanover Marriot from May 3 to May 6th. We were there for the Supernatural convention and the Hotel and staff did not disappoint in any way.

We arrived at approximately 11am, I had requested an early check in and the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. The check in process took almost no time at all. I had also requested a room on a high floor with a refrigerator and with extra pillows and towels all requested were fulfilled.

The room was spotlessly clean and a nice size. The bed was incredibly comfortable, in fact I slept better there then I usually do at home.

All of the staff were very friendly and always greeted us with a smile each time we encountered someone. I must make a special note regarding the member of housekeeping staff (I wish I had gotten her name) who was cleaning our room when I ran in one morning to grab my spare phone battery, she very politely asked if I would show her that my key worked in the room door. I did and her started to apologize but I assured her that I appreciated the fact that she made sure I was the person who was staying in the room and didn't just let anyone into to the room.

The Irish Pub was very nice and the food was very tasty, I especially liked the spicy green beans and my husband really liked the pretzels. We ate there several times over the weekend.

I'm not a big fan of buffets but do to time constraints we ate at the breakfast buffet one morning and there was a nice selection and everything was fresh and hot. My request to have a bagel toasted was accommodated without a problem.

I used the fitness center each morning and though not overly large there were enough machines and I liked that there was a bowl of fresh fruit available.

While I didn't spend much time in the lobby area, it was a nice space with plenty of seating and lots of light.

I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rob0349
Doug V, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your complimentary feedback. All of the details regarding your experience at our hotel are extremely helpful. I'm glad that our Front Office associates ensured all of your special requests were taken care of pre-arrival and that the Housekeeping associate took appropriate measures to help safeguard your belongings. I will pass along your kudos to the Food and Beverage team (the Pub and breakfast buffet). Looking forward to your return visit for this event next year, but hopefully you'll return sooner.
chicago
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding 4 nights beginning on a Thursday in May. The hotel is clean, remodeled and usually very nice. The staff are friendly and helpful to a person. The beds were very comfortable.

On the weekend a little girls' beauty pageant arrived and filled the common areas pretty much excluding all the other guests. The children were generally not supervised, played in the hallways and every nook and cranny; and they ate from the buffet serving themselves, sometimes without utensils. They made for a very loud and un-Marriott like atmosphere. It seemed inconsistent with keeping the hotel open to other guests not involved with the pageant.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and the maids' cleaning closets.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank traveltipsChicago
Doug V, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that our associates "to a person" were friendly and helpful. Also, nice to know that you enjoyed the renovated lobby and comfortable beds. One of the most exciting aspects of our business is the opportunity to host various groups and events. With that said, we will review your noise concerns as we look to improve the overall experience of all our guests all the time. Please contact me directly in advance of your next stay.
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a Supernatural convention and I will definitely be returning for the one next year. The rooms look amazing they were exactly the way they appear in the websites pictures. They were clean, comfortable and I could sleep peacefully the whole weekend (there was no noise problems).

If you have time I suggest the Irish pub in the lobby. It is decorated in an authentic manner that give off a very peaceful vibe and although I was told upon arrival there would be a forty minute wait because of the dinner rush. I was able to leave my number with the woman at the front desk and she called me when she had a table that would seat two (that woman deserves a medal for handling such a hectic event in such a calm manner!)

I had a BYO burger at the Irish pub and it was cooked to perfection. In my opinion it was worth the price to eat at the pub instead of at a diner nearby, even though it would defiantly be a lot cheaper (which is to be expected at a hotel because of the conveniance). You pay about fifteen dollars a meal without tip ofcourse.

I managed to visit the pool during my visit and the temperature was perfect for a quick swim. The outside pool was not open despite it being May but the inside one was more than adequate. My only complaint about the pool area would be that there was no hot tub (which would have been nice after running around all day!)

Even though I arrived at the hotel with not only a suitcase but four heavy boxes filled with art supplies, sports supplies, and water bottles for a charity being held there on Saturday. They allowed me to not only use the luggage cart to transport the boxes from my room to the lobby but they let me roll it all the way to the designated vending area (which impressed me since I dont think the carts are allowed in that section!)

The only problem I had was the first morning at breakfast, when we thought we would be able to eat before we had to head to our panel. The food at Seeds was a lot better than what you would get in most diners but the wait for it to reach the table came as a surprise. My roommate and I were actually beginning to wonder if we were supposed to go up to order but luckily the waitress arrived before we could embarrass ourselves in that way.

After we were given the check and our food was boxed up (since we were in a rush and had no time to eat a large portion of it). I couldn't find the waitress to hand her my money and even went to front to find the woman who was supposed to seat people, she wasn't there. I had to be at the panel in a few moments and had no choice but to hand the money to a worker who I found clearing a couple of tables.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the elevator!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Annmarie M
Doug V, Director of Sales at Hanover Marriott, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you very much for the comprehensive and complimentary feedback. I'm glad the convention went well and that the food quality (BYO Burger) and service (hostess in the restaurant) was to your satisfaction. You're right, long days sometimes call for a hot tub but I'm glad you got to enjoy the pool. See you next year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whippany
HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany
#1 of 5 in Morristown
HYATT house Parsippany-East
HYATT house Parsippany-East
#3 of 16 in Parsippany

Been to Hanover Marriott? Share your experiences!