“Wonderful stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Whippany
Staten Island, New York
“Wonderful stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy while my firm's building in Jersey City, NJ was being repaired. I could not have had a more pleasurable and enjoyable experience. Mike Breitenbach and his staff did a wonderful job and made the stay a great experience. Jenna in reservations and Chin and Mike in the bar were incredible and always willing to do whatever it took to make our staff comfortable." I could not have been happier during my stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have been staying at the hotel for the last two weeks. The experience has been excellent and I would strongly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure. The hotel manager Mike Breitenbach and his staff did a superb job in accomodating us and making the experience pleasurable during Hurricane Sandy. The service and professionalism was outstanding even when the hotel was at full capacity. The staff in the restaurant and bar were extremely friendly and attentive, in particular Mike from the Auld Shebeen bar. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Having a stay extending over a week at the Hanover Marriott, I would like to strongly recommend them . Mike Breitenbach and all the staff at the Marriott did a fantastic job in making us comfortable. In the bar Chin and Mike were fantastic as well as the other bartenders, and Jenna in reservations was terrific. The entire team at the Marriott operate with professionalism and dedication and are a credit to the Marriott organization. They truly went out of their way to make it a positive experience. The staff in the dining room were all fantastic as well and the food is great.

Plymouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times each year for the past 5 years- I am continually amazed at how incredible this place really is. Each stay is better than the last. This trip followed the devistation that Hurricane Sandy left behind and I can't even imagine what the locals went though- the hotel staff went ABOVE and BEYOND to provide the most incredible service to everyone. They set up a hospitality room for displaced families, each morning we received a letter from the General Manager with his positive thoughts for those displaced to get their power back as well as genuinely kind words that I'm sure brought comfort for those affected by the storm. They even went so far as reducing the breakfast buffet rates and provide FREE internet access in all guest rooms!
The staff had been working straight through the storm and aftermath with (I'm sure) very little sleep- I'm sure they were all affected in their personal lives as well, but you could not tell one bit. I can't say enough about how kind, caring, compassionate, accommodating and genuinely nice these employees were- each and every one of them.
The Auld Shabeen was, as always, INCREDIBLE! Mike and Chin and the Manager on Duty (Ian, I think?) should ALL get a significant raise! Food was excellent, service was amazing, and the drinks were outstanding. Although I only visit this hotel twice each year (for a few nights each), Mike and Chin remember our names AND what we drink!!! I can't even begin to express how amazing they are. There are no words. It's like "coming home" when we stay there and see Mike and Chin and the rest of the staff.
Rob Morgan- job well done. You run an incredible operation and I hope you are proud of your staff and the incredible efforts they (and you) put forth this past week. They really hit it out of the park this trip with everything going on. I have stayed at 5 star hotels in excess of $600/night and they can't even hold a candle to the Hanover Marriott. Absolutely incredible job! THANK YOU!!!

Room Tip: 8th floor rooms have balconies! Nice to get some fresh air when you are in a hotel room for a while...
Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family stayed at the hotel for 5 nights while we were displaced from home nearby which had no power due to the hurricane. The hotel staff was truly amazing during this time. The hotel manager - Rob Morgan - was in the lobby on a permanent basis from morning until late night to answer any questions, request, or just to be a friendly face to myself, my wife and my kids. Mr. Morgan put out a daily newsletter to update everyone on what services were available, what to expect from staff, etc. Mr. Morgan and his staff were able to extend our stay, offer reduced rates for certain items (wireless, breakfast, weekend rates), and even allowed us to check out very late when our power returned, no questions asked. I had stayed in the hotel about 10 years prior for a wedding, it has been nicely updated, the lobby is a neat place to hang out with a wine bar. The lobby restaurant/irish pub was really cool, great beers on tap, food was very good for the whole family. the breakfast buffet was quite delicious as well. Mr. Morgan even opened some of the ballrooms up to families to play board games, watch tv and had complimentary coffee for us. My kids went swimming twice in the indoor pool. I used the gym twice as well. As far as hurricanes go, I was in really good hands at this hotel. I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Pays to get the concierge level, good snacks late afternoon, my kids ate a full pasta dinner there.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Randolph, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My family has been staying at this hotel since the start of the hurricane. The entire staff has been so accommodating and helpful with very little sleep. They are amazing. They are going out of their way to help anyone they can. The restaurants have been so busy because of the locals coming for dinner but everyone has been patiently waiting . I will definitely book this hotel again if a storm is coming!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hightstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a 2 night stay for a friend's wedding. For a full-service property, the price was certainly reasonable.
There was plenty of parking in front of the hotel, but we noticed a lack of employee presence by the front door. This was a little troubling as we had a lot of bags. Check-in was a breeze for my wife while I was stuck brining bags back and forth from the car with no assistance or luggage carts in sight.
Luckily, having to drag a few bags around was probably the only low point of our stay. Our room seemed to be recently renovated. The king bed was very comfortable and the HDtv had plenty of channels for me to watch on my down time. The bathroom had a granite countertop and was very clean. The tub maybe wasn't as luxurious as the rest of the bathroom, but it was wide and functional. The room temperature was comfortable and quietly maintained thanks to the central heating/air conditioning. That made it easy to get a good night's sleep.
When we weren't sleeping, at the wedding, or getting ready, we enjoyed the modern lobby with many comfortable seating areas, wine and coffee vending machines, and a couple of HDtvs. We also enjoyed the pub for drinks and appetizers. The last morning, the wedding party had paid for breakfast for any remaining guests. I enjoyed what I had, but the wait staff wasn't as attentive as they could have been to our party. If we needed something, we had to find them. To their credit, they were quick to respond once we got their attention and even found soy milk for coffee.
While the hotel lobby restaurants may have been slightly understaffed at times, everyone was very friendly and our stay went smoothly. We would definitely stay here again if we had an event in the area.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whippany
HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Courtyard Hanover Whippany

Been to Hanover Marriott? Share your experiences!