“Best of Breed”

Hot Rod's Real Pit BBQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Hot Rod's Real Pit BBQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Wharton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Trowbridge Ln.
Transit: less then 1.5 miles train, 60 ft from bus
Description: Award Winning Yankee BBQ Restaurant, Catering Experts, Family Friendly, Fun Staff, Full Bar, Craft Beers, Great Margaritas, Live Music, Smoked Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Famous Sweet & Spicy Wings. Hot Rods BBQ is a celebration of the open road, classic custom cars, All-American comfort food and fun all rolled into one. Today, it seems like every part of the country claims to have its own special twist on BBQ, but owners Anthony and Toby Sibona have combined the best of BBQ from around the country to create dishes that are truly a taste of America. And because the Sibonas are from Jersey, they call their BBQ "Yankee BBQ," a name that has come to mean the best of the best. Hot Rods is famous for delicious slow smoked pulled pork and BBQ babyback ribs. Both are prepared and smoked to Hot Rods' strict specifications, using only top-quality meats. The result is the most tender, tasty BBQ pulled pork and ribs you'll ever eat. A combination of flavorful rubs, homemade sauces, and an open flame creates the perfect BBQ - tender, meaty and exploding with great smokey taste! With that said, sit back and enjoy a tasty trip. The road to the country's best BBQ and the friendliest service starts at Hot Rods BBQ. Hours are as follows: Sun 12:30pm - 9:30pm(K) Bar 11pm Mon 11:30 am - 10pm(K) Bar 11pm Tues 11:30 am - 9:30pm(K) Bar 11pm Wed 11:30 am - 9:30pm(K) Bar 11pm Thurs 11:30 am - 10pm(K) Bar 11pm Friday 11:30 am - 10:30pm(K) Bar 1am Saturday 12:30pm - 10:30pm(K) Bar 1am
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Having just eaten, and I use the term loosely, at a local BBQ place, and been seriously disappointed, I reminisce about our frequent trips to Hot Rods. Not close, not convenient, but worth the trip. Excellent , eclectic, comfort food menu. Friendly, attentive service; great bar and tasty food. Best BBQ this side of Memphis. Go there. You'll enjoy it.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband & I tried Hot Rods for lunch one day when we were jonesing for BBQ. We were not disappointed. Brisket sliders and hush puppies were great. We were telling some friends about it and they complained that we hadn't brought them with us. So we got a group of 13 people together and went back for dinner on a Saturday night. The joint was jumping. They had great tunes playing. We all tried something new from the huge list of beers. We split a bunch of appetizers. The pulled pork egg rolls and brisket ends wrapped in bacon were huge hits. Everyone was thrilled with their entree. I've already decided I want to try the smoked meatloaf next time I go. Then we finished off with an amazing chocolate peanut butter silk pie. Yumm! We spent $45 each for appetizers, lots of beer, dinner and that awesome pie. Can't wait to go again. The staff are awesome and very attentive. They were busy and we were a large group but they took great care of us.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We just made our fifth visit to Hot Rod's BBQ in Wharton, NJ. I felt it was time to write a review. We discovered Hot Rod's earlier this summer and it has become a family and friend favorite. We live about 45 minutes away otherwise we would go every week. The food is AWESOME as is the staff. We have been lucky enough to have Chris as our waiter three of our five visits. All the staff is very knowledgable and will walk you through the menu. The ambiance is fun/casual. There's a great bar area when you first come in the door and the beer selection is outstanding.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I took my family out here one night for dinner. Greatest smoke in town hands down! These guys had really awesome service and the waitresses fell in love with our kids, which was kinda nice, they got them occupied for a while and out of our hair... lol... But seriously, my wife had the fish and chips, she said it was outstanding! I had the slider combo of meatloaf (excellent) and brisket(also excellent)!!!! And the real test... the kids! They all had the mac and cheese and they all finished it! Was great watching them eat it, cause it looked like someone was gonna take away their food.... It was that good! I even got a bit curious and ordered a quick side of mac and cheese to go for later on that night... glad I did and glad I broke it out when the kids were in bed! All in all, great atmosphere, great service and everything was smoked to perfection! Must stop if you're looking for a great BBQ joint!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Went there on a Friday night, around 6:30. No problem getting a table for 7 people (2 kids). Service was friendly and the waitress knew the menu and was very helpful. I liked that the wait staff helped out each other with bringing out the food, clearing plates and refilling drinks.

We started with appetizers - bacon wrapped brisket ends which the bacon wasn't cooked enought and hot and spicy wings which weren't very spicy - just tasted burnt.

Since there were 5 adults, there were a number of different dishes. The ribs were tender but were too smokey, burnt and without real flavor. The brisket was dry and could have used additional flavor. In fact, that seemed to be the overall feeling about the food - too smokey and lacking of real flavor. The kids Mac and Cheese was good, but not liked by the kids. It was geared more to adults, so the waitress brought out chicken fingers for them.

This was an average meal and we won't be returning as there are better BBQs.