“Pretty average BBQ place.”

Hot Rod's Real Pit BBQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Hot Rod's Real Pit BBQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Wharton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Trowbridge Ln.
Transit: less then 1.5 miles train, 60 ft from bus
Description: Award Winning Yankee BBQ Restaurant, Catering Experts, Family Friendly, Fun Staff, Full Bar, Craft Beers, Great Margaritas, Live Music, Smoked Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Famous Sweet & Spicy Wings. Hot Rods BBQ is a celebration of the open road, classic custom cars, All-American comfort food and fun all rolled into one. Today, it seems like every part of the country claims to have its own special twist on BBQ, but owners Anthony and Toby Sibona have combined the best of BBQ from around the country to create dishes that are truly a taste of America. And because the Sibonas are from Jersey, they call their BBQ "Yankee BBQ," a name that has come to mean the best of the best. Hot Rods is famous for delicious slow smoked pulled pork and BBQ babyback ribs. Both are prepared and smoked to Hot Rods' strict specifications, using only top-quality meats. The result is the most tender, tasty BBQ pulled pork and ribs you'll ever eat. A combination of flavorful rubs, homemade sauces, and an open flame creates the perfect BBQ - tender, meaty and exploding with great smokey taste! With that said, sit back and enjoy a tasty trip. The road to the country's best BBQ and the friendliest service starts at Hot Rods BBQ. Hours are as follows: Sun 12:30pm - 9:30pm(K) Bar 11pm Mon 11:30 am - 10pm(K) Bar 11pm Tues 11:30 am - 9:30pm(K) Bar 11pm Wed 11:30 am - 9:30pm(K) Bar 11pm Thurs 11:30 am - 10pm(K) Bar 11pm Friday 11:30 am - 10:30pm(K) Bar 1am Saturday 12:30pm - 10:30pm(K) Bar 1am
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty average BBQ place.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I am working in the area for the week and came on a Tuesday night around 9 pm, so not a lot of customers. Pulled pork was nothing to brag about, needed lots of BBQ sauce to taste good, definitely not great. Potato and egg salad was delicious! And cole slaw was also very tasty. Decorations? Well I am a car guy but I didn't find it special, a few reproduction signs etc. Will I be back? Not unless I run out of other places to try.

• Visited July 2013

New York City, New York
“Best BBQ Around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We decided to come here after having the pulled pork at a catered event. We started off with a cold bottle of pear cider. So refreshing on a hot Sunday afternoon. We had corn bread and very good potato skins while waiting for our meal. We both had ribs with pulled pork and bbq beans. Wish the side of beans was larger. Everything was so delicious. Moist wipes would have been nice after the ribs. We really enjoyed the $1 dollar pints with our meal and the frozen strawberry daiquiri for dessert. Our waiter was friendly and professional. We signed up for the frequent diner program. We will definitely be coming back often.

• Visited July 2013
Montville, New Jersey
“Smoked, Moist, Tender, $25.99”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having experienced BBQ, in many places throughout the USA including the Salt Lick in driftwood, Texas, my opinion is that Hot Rod's is good BBQ. While approaching the restaurant you could already smell the smokey goodness from the street. The outside facade is not eye popping but once inside the decor is eye catching. Yellow walls, black and white checkered table cloth, motorcycles, hot rods and automobile memorabilia everywhere. The are about 20 tables in the eating area. Yes, it is a man's cave. The ribs are smoked on a ton and a half smoker. I had the full baby-back ribs. At $25.99, I thought it was on the high end. The ribs were moist, tender and fell off of the bone. That's a good sign. Mine had a slightly smoked flavor that was masked by the BBQ sauce which was sweat but not overly so. I choose the sweat potato fries which were deliciously seasoned to my taste. They were luke warm and I would have liked them to be hot and crispy. The coleslaw was nicely done and complimented the ribs and fries. There is a full bar as you walk in and a half dozen patrons were enjoying drinks. They have a large offering of craft beers but I did not try them.

• Visited June 2013
Montville, New Jersey, United States
“Good NJ BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

First trip to HRs and it was a good one. Went on a Sunday evening. Place was busy, but we were able to be seated quickly. Atmosphere is like a backyard bbq but without music. Not sure why there wasn't something to drown out other dinner conversations. Ok place to bring kids. A decent selection of craft beers, mixed drinks and very limited wine selection. Owners do seem to advertise drink specials during the weeknights.Small bar area, dining area is bigger than it looks. Variety of offerings on the menu. BBQ, fried chicken and tex-mex to name a few. My party of 3 tried the starters;hush puppies-excellent flavor, large and not to dense or greasy and the $5 wings. Wings were dry, but had a good flavor. The babyback ribs were moist and tender, but I did appreciate the bottle of sauce that was on the table. Pulled pork and brisket sandwich were also excellent. Baked beans were the best side. French fries were ok but the colesaw was warm and lacked flavor. The cornbread served with the meal was moist and had a good sweetcorn flavor. Did not try the desserts. Service was professional though not as attentive as it could have been and I believe that to be just the server we had. Rest rooms were clean and modern.

• Visited June 2013
Long Valley, New Jersey
“Really Good BBQ but not comfortable.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Hot Rod BBQ is a great little BBQ joint. And I do mean little! They dont take reservations for parties less than 6, so we took a chance on a Saturday night with our party of 4. We were told it would be just a few moments & that there were a few tables finishing up. We waited 20 minutes at 6pm.

The entrance and waiting area, unfortunately, is through and in the bar area in which there were 3 drunken men sitting at the bar, loudly cursing. They appeared to be regulars. The bartender did nothing to quiet them even though we were standing 3 feet away, the only place to wait, with our 7 & 8 year olds. A nasty look from me quieted them quickly. This is why they get a low score for "Families".

There are probably less than 20 tables so be prepared to wait during busy times. We were seated in a booth, that was is next to a window that had the a/c vents running alongside the bottom. The entire meal we had ice cold a/c blowing directly on our legs even though it was only 60 degrees out. We asked it be turned down but were told it was the only thing keeping the kitchen from overheating & that they could try. They turned it down for 5 minutes then cranked it back up because the room did get warm quickly. The other 2 tables along this vent also complained of the cold air. We noticed another family decide to eat elsewhere because the wait for a table that wasn't along this vent was 30 minutes and they would rather eat elsewhere than at the cold booth. The air was so cold & unpleasant that I would not return if I had to sit in the booth again. The decor was good for a BBQ place: hot rod themed with paper table clothes & crayons to doodle with while we waited.

Now, onto the BBQ! The table was served cornbread & it was really good. I am not normally a cornbread fan but this was super tasty! My half rack of St Louis Style ribs were tasty but could have been more tender. I got it with a lackluster baked potato. My husbands chicken was very good also but he didn't rave about it. he would go back but would order something else. My one child ordered chicken strips & mixed vegetable. They were out of the mixed vegetable and she was offered green beans or asparagus. She chose the green-beans but she said they were spicy. The BBQ sauce was very good, a vinegar based & definitely homemade: I'll take homemade BBQ sauce any day! The other HUGE kudos goes to the cole slaw. It was fresh & home made & delicious! Next time, I'd skip the potato & order a full side of coleslaw!

The service was slow and could definitely use improvement but the restaurant was full and we were told he was serving an extra table that night. We weren't informed of the "Member-Club" that we heard al the other tables being informed of and we weren't offered dessert. We were able to get what we needed during the meal by asking the bus-girl or hostess.

Another point to note, while we were eating, around 6:30/7:00pm, the wait was 30 minutes. At that point no one else arrived to be seated while we were there so my advice is go before 6pm or after 7:30 to lessen your wait.

We will return again with better timing and sweaters because the BBQ is good!

• Visited May 2013