“Wish they left the car wash!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
New York City, New York
“Wish they left the car wash!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I liked this place when it was in the old building. Then it moved after they tore down a car wash. The new building is a big square, not that this is bad but the dining area is a big square, all open, no dividers, no decorations, no anything. Just a big square nothing. It's a BYOB which is a good thing. The food is not that great. nothing inspiring. Menu is bla, bla, bla. Service is just ok, not that friendly, not that experienced, not that good. Can you put a picture on the wall?? This place needs restaurant makeover in a big way. It's not comfortable, reminds me of the way a fast food restaurant is designed to make you comfortable for about 5 minutes then GET OUT.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank travelCity60763

Northern New Jersey
“Good food and nice atmosphere, but don't use Restaurant.com there.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

I've been to La Dolce Vita four times, and the food is generally good, although when I last visited my wife and a friend of ours had linguini with clam sauce that was almost too salty to eat. (And they actually served spaghetti, not linguini.) But on my last two visits I used Restaurant.com vouchers, and I had the same bad experience that the last two reviewers had. The voucher advises that the bill will include an 18% gratuity, which is fine, except that the waiter on both occasions gave himself a 20% tip. Not cool. Moreover, the voucher was credited after the tax had been applied, not before, which means that a portion of the check was double taxed. Also not cool. I pointed out the "mistake" to the waiter on both occasions, and the bill was corrected. The second time this happened I made sure that my complaint was loud enough to get the attention of other diners. I've used Restaurant.com vouchers in at least 30 restaurants, and La Dolce Vita was the only place that tried to cheat me -- and not only once, but twice. I won't be going back.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank jnschnur
Vernon, New Jersey
“Not a great experience for a first time visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

Tried La Dolce Vita for the first time on recommendations from a friend and also my son, my daughter in law told me about the availability of Restaurant.com certificates for this restaurant. So I purchased one. There were 4 of us for dinner, typically a restaurant does add the gratuity to the bill when it is for a large party, I have never had the gratuity added for only 4 people. Upon reviewing the check I was taken back to see that they added a 20% tip to the bill, not only did they add 20% but they also tipped themselves on the tax portion of the bill. That's unheard of and wrong. Being a food server myself, I consider myself to be a good tipper, if my service is extremely good, I would tip above 20%, if the service is horrible I still would never go below 15%, let's face everyone has good days and bad. You as a customer have the choice to leave your tip on the total bill including tax if you choose, but it is not the restaurants choice to charge you tip on tax.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank Maria B
Parsippany, New Jersey
“Waiters and host cheat customers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

We tried this restaurant using a Restaurant.com gift certificate. As soon as we show the certificate, the waiter changes the prices of the dishes we ordered from the menu. They claim that they can do that. Then they round up the taxes and the tips to 20% when the certificates says that it was supposed to be 18% (that is pretty high already). Not a good experience for someone who is trying this restaurant out for the first time. Certainly, did not save any money. Probably pay more than otherwise.

Friends also reported that restaurant offers appetizers and desserts with no prices on them. This is Wharton, NJ in the shoprite shopping center, not Central Park East. We are all medium income people who need to know the prices before we order. Don't want to be cheated after we order.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Happy H
Morris County, NJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,320 helpful votes
“Not as good as it previously was”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

We went there the other night, expecting the same quality that we had the last time that we visited. Unfortunately the quality of the restaurant is going downhill. The service is good, however the food quality is unimpressive. To start off the bread was very chewy and had very little flavor. The house salad was unimpressive. It looked like something that came out of one of those salad bags you buy at Costco. It also had half of one measly little cherry in it. The entres were very unmemorable. We went there on a Friday night and here it is on a Sunday afternoon, and I barely remember what I had. My mother in law did have tortelini, but it was in some type of brown sauce. She did not finish the whole dish.

One thing I like about the restaurant, it is BYOB and it does keep the price down. For the 4 of us, it was about $80 with a tip and no desert.

This week, we also ate at La Strada in Randolph, which is about 10 minutes away from this restaurant. This restaurant is not in the same league as La Strada. In the past I recommended this restaurant, sadly I can no longer recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2011