“Not as good as it previously was”
Review of La Dolce Vita - CLOSED

La Dolce Vita
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We went there the other night, expecting the same quality that we had the last time that we visited. Unfortunately the quality of the restaurant is going downhill. The service is good, however the food quality is unimpressive. To start off the bread was very chewy and had very little flavor. The house salad was unimpressive. It looked like something that came out of one of those salad bags you buy at Costco. It also had half of one measly little cherry in it. The entres were very unmemorable. We went there on a Friday night and here it is on a Sunday afternoon, and I barely remember what I had. My mother in law did have tortelini, but it was in some type of brown sauce. She did not finish the whole dish.

One thing I like about the restaurant, it is BYOB and it does keep the price down. For the 4 of us, it was about $80 with a tip and no desert.

This week, we also ate at La Strada in Randolph, which is about 10 minutes away from this restaurant. This restaurant is not in the same league as La Strada. In the past I recommended this restaurant, sadly I can no longer recommend this restaurant.

5  Thank bwco

Reviewed December 30, 2010

Never expected to find such a restaurant in Wharton. South american owner of an italian restaurant, not a good combination I thought. But we were tired of the rest of the restaurants in the area, with greasy, unhealthy food.
However the food was just great: good, pure italian recipes with fresh ingredients. high props on that. A bit pricey, but good value for the money spent.We went there twice, each time 4 people. Each dish has been just great, and we all know well italian food, not american italian. The deserts were also very good and, again, different from what you normally find in an american italian place.
The fact it is situated in Shoprite parking lot is an advantage, you can always find parking spots.

Not the greatest atmosphere (although they try) and they don't have a alcohol license.
On a negative, we went there for a third time and they were closing. It was on a Sunday 8:30 pm.

2  Thank Daniel_Rockaway
Reviewed January 27, 2010

One of the things that I use to judge a restaurant is the parking lot test. Its a simple test, if you see the parking lot filled up on a Friday or Saturday night, there is a reason. The converse is also true. With this restaurant It can be hard to get parking spaces near it.

My wife and I went there on a Saturday night. We had a reservation and were seated within 5 minutes. The restaurant is dry, so we bought a bottle of wine with us. The waiter was very helpful with it. If you forget to bring wine, the Shop Rite is across the parking lot from it and has a very nice wine selection.

My one complaint about the restaurant is that there is a lot, perhaps too much, seafood on the menu. The menu could use more pasta dishes and more meat selections.

Overall the food quality and service is excellent. This restaurant is a welcome addition to the area.

For those people who are coming from the mall, go west on Mount Pleasant Avenue, then make a right on Route 15. Its in the same shopping center as Shop Rite.

3  Thank bwco
Reviewed January 23, 2010

Had dinner here recently with two other couples and everyone loved this place. The food presentation was excellent. Our meals were terrific. The service was very attentive. We were here midweek, and the restaurant wasn't overly crowded. Can't say what it would be like on weekends.

1  Thank beelzebub
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Good place to go for lunch. chicken balsamic with pasta including salad or soup for 9.95 which is not bad at all. It's BYOB. Not so kid friendly but great to go with coworkers or some friends. I do wish they bring back the mashed potatoes. They were good but no longer have them. Overall it's a great place to go for a nice lunch not so much for dinner.

1  Thank PR4LIFE