“Favorite takeout spot”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups
NJ
“Favorite takeout spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We stop here often during the week to get takeout. The house salad with grilled chicken is our favorite standby for a quick and healthy weeknight meal. The staff is great and Aurelio makes you feel like you are family. Other dishes are great as well and it's a good BYO weekend date night spot.

Visited October 2013

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
“Great Food, Great Service, Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stopped by the brick oven for some lunch while shopping in Westfield. Was a passing opportunity, but glad we did. Friendly staff and great food, and a chance to experience some sidewalk dining which is is rare in NJ due to humidity in summer. We had a Margherita pizza and Spaghetti and Meatballs. Both were of a very good standard although I did have to ask for my meatballs to be heated up a little more, the waiter was more the obliging. Pizza was thin and crispy and sauce on meatballs was fantastic. Would certainly return for further visits and would recommend for casual/informal dining.

• Visited August 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Real Italian? I don't think so.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our friends recommended this but admitted they had not been there in years...I ordered a spinach pasta with lemon sauce, grilled shrimp and asparagus for 18.95 that sounded good. I was brought a SOUP bowl with bright green thick pasta, 4 briny tasting shrimp and I think one asparagus with no tip! chopped up over it! I never did taste any lemon, it was more like chef boy r dee to me!!! The rest of the group all agrees theirs was mundane also, so this group must have come from Italy as children, it was not good.

• Visited June 2013
Westfield, New Jersey
“Decent Italian. You eat there too often, you want to try someplace new”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

A nice Italian restaurant downtown with a sidewalk cafe in summer. Decent food. We've been there a couple dozen times. We don't know the owner / manager well enough to have him run up and kiss our ring (which is nice even if you say it isn't) and the food doesn't seem to have changed a lot over the years. About every tenth visit they annoy us by keeping us waiting too long (somebody manages to push their way past us), or the waiter forgets part of the order or the kitchen is slow getting out appetizers. The food itself is pretty good. And you can bring your own wine or beer and there's a liquor store next door.

So what do we do? We go 3-4 times a year, usually with friends who love Brick Oven and want to go there. Five years ago we went twice as often.

Other reviewers have said the Brick Oven happily does special orders. Well, sometimes. We asked if they could make a white pizza (no tomato sauce) with bacon / pancetta and clams or maybe shrimp. The waiter came back and said the kitchen would not, thank you very much. Later, a friend who's a regular asked me to lunch, I asked about the same white pie, and it arrived 15 minutes later.

I realize some of our mixed feelings about the Brick Oven are about Westfield dining in general: Not many new restaurants open up (okay, Five Guys burgers), so it's the same old same old, People we know from as far away as Westchester County say they seek out the Westfield dining scene, meanwhile many of us who live here wind up checking out the new restaurants in next-door Cranford.

• Visited December 2012
Linden, New Jersey, United States
“Great Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have been going to The Brick Oven for years. The food, the people and the atmosphere are great. There is a large selection of entrees plus always great specials. The Lasagna is the best I've ever had and if you ask, they may go off the menu and make you a pork parm dinner that is to die for. I would recomend the The Brick Oven and their staff to all. BYOB!!!!
Reservations for six of more people.

• Visited December 2012