“Charming location with great food”
Review of Chez Catherine

Chez Catherine
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Catherine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 88 Restaurants in Westfield
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Prospect Street
Description: The restaurant is famous for serving authentic, classic French cuisine in an atmosphere reminiscent of the Provencal countryside. Chez Catherine provides a wonderful dining experience When you enter Chez Catherine imagine that you are traveling the French Countryside. Our dining room is intimate, warm and charming, The peach colors, provincial furniture, ceramic cicatas, Santons de Provence as well as other themes from the French Countryside decorate the dining room.Private party room available for 10 to 40 people
Summit, New Jersey
“Charming location with great food”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We visited Chez Catherine during the week for an anniversary, having read good reviews. I didn't realize how small the dining room actually was. It was probably only 10 tables. It has already been noted that the restaurant is authentically French - Lyon in the South of France to be more specific. The owner and waiter both exhibited a lot of traditional French charm, which was amusing and enjoyable. Unfortunately, with them being the only two people working the dining room, our service dropped off dramatically with the arrival of a VIP diner to the table next to us.

As for the food, I found the pricing to be just right for upscale in Union County New Jersey. My wife enjoyed a pate starter, a pan-seared grouper, and one of the most delicate cheesecakes we've ever had. I ordered a gazpacho starter, a steak bearnaise and profiteroles for dessert. We were surprised and happy to see that each of the dishes was kept unusually light for French cuisine, which was perfect for a hot, humid, Summer night.

I would recommend the restaurant, based on the quality and value of the food and the charming atmosphere. Just make sure you have plenty of time to spend.

• Visited July 2012

parsippany
“Chez Catherine”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Having been to France six times I was expecting a lot from what I read about this restaurant. being " authentically French". To begin with, the owners are French and apparently took over this place 10 years ago from the original owners. The food was good, not great, the service left a lot to be desired unless you bought expensive bottles of wine(like the table next to us). We were basically ignored and even my friend had commented that we should have bought champagne to get the service that one gets in France.

You can bring your own wine but they charge a 35.00 corkage fee on Saturdays; 25 during the week. I found this totally outrageous. The dinners are pre-fixe as they are in France: appetizer, main course and dessert (coffee,tea not included). Coffee/tea is 3.50 with no refills(just like in France). The night I was there I wanted the Noix de St-Jacques; sea scallops, avocado, orange, red pepper coulis, jicama purée but was told they sold most of the scallops to another restaurant.

I have a hearing problem an informed the owners of this when booking my reservation. So where did they seat us? Right by the kitchen. It was disruptive, noisy, and turned an ordinary dinner into a place I will never return.

Dinner for 2 with a glass of wine each came to $168.00. If you don't mind spending your hard earned money for an over priced meal, than by all means go there.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank camille27
USA
“Tres Bon!”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Authentic French in Union county. Traditional menu and friendly staff.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“NJ's Best French Restaurant”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

There is no contest. Chez Catherine is the best classic French restaurant in NJ. Fresh ingredients are pampered and no shortcuts are taken here. Even the cocktails are mixed from scratch. Doubt me, order a Whiskey Sour (yes, a whiskey sour) and be amazed. No granulated mix is used. This is fine dinning at its finest. Dover Sole boned table-side by a knowledgeable hand. Profiteroles, filled with vanilla ice cream and smothered in a bitter-sweet, nuanced chocolate sauce. Great wine list fairly priced. An attentive and caring owner seemingly always on premises. Beautiful, cozy room. I could go on because I love this restaurant but I think you get the idea. This is the ne plus ultra of NJ fine dinning. Go, relax and enjoy.

• Visited November 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Woweww”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I love French food . I love the welcoming to this place .
Great great food and fresh but the place it self is small but good food can't wait to get back to this place.