“Large Menu, Great Soup Dumplings”
Review of Shanghai Bun

Shanghai Bun
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed April 27, 2014

If you're in the area, make a point of trying this lovely restaurant. It has an extensive menu of Chinese dishes, some I've not seen before. Arrived at 11:45 am on a Saturday and were obviously a little early - but by 12:00 the place was packed. The upscale decor gives you a good indication of things to come. They have an extensive menu as well as order-off-the-menu dim sum. Their soup dumplings are really tasty and large. In addition those, we had the pork fried dumplings, which have the same filling as the soup dumplings so you might want to order something different, but the pork fried dumplings were large and tasty. We had several other dim sum dishes at quite reasonable prices for the amount of food they give you. All around us we watched as the wait staff brought out enormous soup dishes of different types, and everyone seemed to be really enjoying their food. You don't have to even look at the open kitchen to see them making everything because everything that comes to the table tastes freshly made. The only thing I would have liked to have was dessert, but they do not do dessert. However, I was so stuffed from the dim sum I don't know whether I could have managed to get dessert down. All-in-all, if you're looking for a nice restaurant that will give you good, good food and great value for your money, give Shanghai bun a try. You won't be disappointed. Note - If you are coming from Route 1, turn onto Princeton-Heightstown Road (571) and stay on it till you go over the bridge. Take the left at the light immediately at the bottom of the bridge as the restaurant is on the left in a small strip mall. We went past it as Mapquest sent us the wrong way, but I'm not complaining cause it was worth the search!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

So glad to find a Chinese restaurant that serves traditional, authentic dishes! We had pork soup buns, fried pork & chive buns, braised beef noodle soup, noodles with hot peanut sauce, and fish fillet with rice wine sauce. All of it was excellent. Service was fast.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I came here with my coworkers to celebrate my birthday. Never had I had such delicious vegetable dumplings. Try these! For my entree, I had the noodles with hot peanut sauce, which was served in copious proportions. I saw other people who ordered noodles, also with huge bowls. You definitely get bang for your buck here.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Food is quite fresh and authentic . Service needs some work as many servers do not understand English very well- however, they eventually get it right!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were a group of 7, some from NYC, who stopped for lunch before heading to theater at McCarter. Food was delicious, service was prompt and portions were generous. Yes, the New York foodies approved. I've never seen such large potstickers or shui mai. Cost per person, with tip, was about $13. No reservations taken but we didn't have to wait long to get a table big enough to handle the group.