“IT WAS WHAT IT WAS”

Son Cubano at Port Imperial
Reserve with OpenTable
Son Cubano at Port Imperial is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 100 Restaurants in West New York
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: River Road
Transit: NY Waterway Ferry @ Port Imperial in Weehawken; NJ Transit Bus NJ Transit Light Rail
Description: Son Cubano, or the "Sound of Cuba", successfully brought a style reminiscent of the elegance and opulence of "The Havana 50s".
new york, ny
“IT WAS WHAT IT WAS”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

After traveling down a double row of tenement buildings on Riverwalk Place in West New York, New Jersey you will find Son Cubano. As you reach the end of the block you are greeted by a cascading fountain which is the centerpiece of a paved circular driveway leading to the restaurant's valet parking. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT MY FRIEND'S E-Z PASS WAS STOLEN FROM HER VEHILCE WHILE UNDER THE CARE OF THIS VALET PARKING SYSTEM. Upon entering the restaurant you can't help but notice its glitzy, modernistic, over-the-top decor which actually works for this venue. Should you arrive late for your scheduled reservation, the restaurant will grant you a 15 minute grace period before giving away your table as they try to maintain a 2 hour dining limit. Our table was located in the rear of the restaurant and offered a limited view of the live band and a total view of the New York City skyline. Once seated we ordered our appetizers and a pticher of white Sangria. The appetizers were served tapas style and were very good, however, the Sangria was disappointingly watered down and awful. As my entree I ordered the paella. The rice, clams and mussels were good but the chicken leg and alleged lobster tail a/k/a crawfish were bad as they both tasted old and stale. And while it was stated that scalops were to be a part of the dish, only one was present. The rest of my party all said that their respective meals were good but nowhere near the quality and taste of Sevilla in New York City. We decided to end our meal with dessert and were all happy with our respective choices which were all delicious and fabulously presented. I would like to add that the staff while pleasant and friendly, were a bit annoying in their quest to inconspicuously hurry the meal along and turn the table over to the next guest. I also found the placement of the tableware on the bare table top to be unsanitary and a bit of a turn off.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank mswords

• Greek first
“For dinner ok, never for lunch again”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I've been here 5 times total. 4 times dinner 1 lunch.
It has amazing atmosphere in the night, nice music, views, very romantic, beautiful decorations and style, and nice looking people Come here. That's why we went there either with bunch of friends or spouse. First time we went the place was open first week and we order 3 different salads each one tasted same. The food very average.

My last visit was in June for late lunch (2:30pm)! We were the only couple sitting inside and there was another 2 tables outside. They had one waiter who showed up 2 times in a hour and a bartender who was also a waiter for outside tables. Food was terrible, service so bad, the waiter nowhere to be seen, so slow, the bill came 30 min later after we asked for it only because we stand up and look for a manager ourself! We didn't leave ANY tip!

I will still come again, I am not planning on eating here unless they do major changes but for evening drinks and enjoying the art and decoration, music and atmosphere. It's also one of the few nice places near my house.

So I will recommend this place for drinks and music YES!
Food specially lunch NO!!!

“Something has gone wrong in this place!!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I have been in Son Cubano when they opened, the food was amazing, the service was great and the atmosphere was amazing , this time I was very sad to find out that something has gone wrong in this place, food is very poorly prepared( to much garlic, not enough condiments , just not right) , service is average, their attention to detail totally done, and the atmosphere is very tense with lots a security, and west new York police officers cars park outside the restaurant, the place was empty for a Friday night. What a shame that such a beautiful restaurant has gone to the pits.

Sayreville, New Jersey
“nice ambiance but average food”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Recently went to son cubano with a group of friends. The restaurant is very pretty and the mood they set with the lights dim and the music is very sexy! Nice date place. The only downfall was the food. As a Latina , I was not impressed at all. I had to add alot of salt to my steak and potatoes just to give flavor and so did the rest of the party i was with. i had shrimp in garlic sauce and it had no garlic, but alot of oil. Very dissatisfied! All my friends agreed! But Drinks were really good and like i said ambiance was great. So if your looking just for a nice place to hang and have a drink. This is your spot. I highly recomment Sofrito's in NYC for a spanish puerto rican cuisine. Thier food is AMAZING!!!

• Visited August 2012
new york
“Terrible food, but great atmosphere!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Never had I tasted such terrible tasting food!!! Nothing tasted good not even the steamed veggies!!!! Go there for the atmosphere, not the food!!
If inside at the bar area, you can listen to live music, and enjoy the atmosphere w friends, but if ur hungry and are in a mood to have some what decent food, then you will be disappointed!!