“Eh? Nicely appointed, but extremely loud and ambivalent staff”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Fairfax, VA
“Eh? Nicely appointed, but extremely loud and ambivalent staff”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here about 10 days during Hurricane Sandy recovery.

First the good: room was clean and well appointed. Nice breakfast area, but it's crowded and elbows bump easily. TVs worked nicely. Linens and bed comfort were good. Nothing fancy, but you're not paying for that. The area is heavily commercial with plenty of restaurants, stores and services nearby. The Garden State Parkway is only a couple of miles away and you're close to the beach as well.

Now the bad: While I was there, there were a large number of electrical workers restoring power. That's vital, of course, and we all appreciate their efforts. But the noise they generated at all hours was very disruptive. My room was immediately above the entryway on the third floor. At 6 a.m, a large bus pulled up every morning to load workers -- loud workers. The area below my room also served as the smoking lounge which was used late into the night, and again early in the morning. I heard voices outside my window very late and very early. And some nights, the workers hosted parties in the lobby with llittle regard for other guests. In fact, a female co-worker was verbally harassed in the lobby, in full view of the worker there.

Parking was another problem. The large trucks took several parking places each, leaving me to park up on the roadway most nights. Hotel management seemed immune to all of these inconveniences. I spoke to the front desk attendant about the myriad of problems and I got a shrug and an "Oh man, that sucks," from the hotel staff.

On another occasion, I had a package (business cards) delivered to the hotel and it was three days before I could find them at the desk. I asked why I wasn't called when they were delivered and I got a blank stare from the front desk worker.

Finally, the pool and their "salt water" was unusable. My kids visited for the evening while I was away and came back in tears because the pool water was so irritating. Never had my kids EVER said they didn't want to use an indoor pool, until here.

Room Tip: Something away from front of the building. Smokers gather at all hours below your windows and conver...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jenny F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hi ButchKin,

We appreciate you taking the time to rate the Holiday Inn Express West Long Branch on TripAdvisor. We are glad we could accommodate you and your family following the destruction of Hurricane Sandy. However, we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

We did have a large group of workers staying with us to help with the recovery initiatives for Hurricane Sandy. Because of their hefty work load, they worked long hours usually starting very early in the morning and not returning until late at night which may have caused noise disturbances. During this very stressful time, the staff worked extremely hard to accommodate huge lodging demands for emergency crews and the displaced victims of Sandy.

Again, we would like to express our regret that you were not completely satisfied during your stay, but we hope you consider staying at the Holiday Inn Express West Long Branch at another time when we are not in a state of emergency.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
LaGrange, Georgia, United States
Reviewed November 7, 2012

my name is scott,we had to come up from georgia and help out with our company after the hurricane. Brooke gordon and her staff were the best of the best.They made sure we had a room for days went way out of there way to accomidate us.i stay in motels ever week with my job.and i no good service when i see it .I have never been treated as good as we were there .once again i want to thank yall for everything you did for us.yall are the best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jenny F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hi Scott V,

First off, I would like to say that all of us at the Holiday Inn Express West Long Branch hope your company and fellow staff are now safe after Hurricane Sandy.

We greatly appreciate your fantastic review and we are glad that we were able to accommodate you during a difficult, stressful time.

Thanks again!
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The breakfast was average - basic buffet style options. The staff was friendly. The fitness center was well kept. The room itself was clean however I was very dissatisfied because the bath tub would not drain when I was showering. It would fill up to my ankles!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Check then got a free upgrade to a king Jacuzzi suite love the elephant towel character on bed and it was under $95. Would stay here again if in area. There was a friendly staff and cookies and Freewater when I checked in. Not close to NYC

• Stayed October 2012
Jenny F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hi KClevenger71,

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in West Long Branch!

We greatly appreciate your fantastic 5-star review of our property and are happy that you had a great stay.

We hope to see you again!

-Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here recently and found the room to be nice and clean. Everything was well upgraded (window unit ac but hooked to a thermostat). Desk staff was courteous and helped us on multiple occasions with items we'd forgotten. Breakfast bar was standard for a holiday inn express with eggs, sausage, and good cinnamon rolls in addition to the normal breads, cereals, and juice/coffee. However we picked this hotel explicitly for the pool and while it was open (another hotel which claimed to have a pool was not) the water had a powerful chlorine smell, tasted bad when it got in your mouth, and left us feeling slimy after a few minutes. We were there three days and had planned multiple pool trips but after the first decided against returning. The only other gripe is that there's no entrance on the pool side of the building so if you arrive late you have to trek all the way around. So overall, great hotel, not so great pool.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jenny F, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hi Mike L,

We are glad you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express West Long Branch. Thank you for the wonderful comments you made about your room and our employees. We will be sure to share them with the entire staff.

We do apologize that you were unhappy with the pool conditions. Although we understand your concerns, we would have to disagree on your description of the pool. The pool on property does not contain chlorine and is actually a salt water pool. Perhaps you experienced a different scent and feel because of the salt water.

Unfortunately, we do not have an entrance for guests in the back of our property. However, there are four entrances – the main entrance and three other side doors – which guests may use.

Thank you again for staying with us during your travels and we hope to receive a 5-star review from you in the future.

-Holiday Inn Express West Long Branch
Tenafly, New Jersey
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Pool was dirty, costumer service was very bad. i left an item in the room, I asked the hotel to send it to me by UPS and I will pay for it, they refused.I called again to see if they can do it and they did not find my pkg.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hotels_Unlimited_Inc, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
We are very sorry that you were unhappy with the customer service provided by our staff. While we, of course, can’t guarantee the return of lost items, we are always happy to help find and return lost and misplaced items. In this case, our front desk did offer to send the item to you via Fed Ex, but we understand that you declined the offer. Although time has passed, we would still be eager to reunite you with the lost item if at all possible. Please call the hotel anytime and our management can provide assistance. Customer service is our number one priority, and we sincerely hope that you’ll return soon and have a wonderful stay.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had some ups and downs with my stay at the holiday in. Lets start with the good. The hotel was clean and the staff was kind. The value is fair and the rooms are acceptable as well. However, my non smoking room smelled like smoke and I was moved to another room that still had a foul smell in it. But my new room had a broken panel on the jacuzzi. This was upsetting because I laid extra for a higher grade room. I informed staff about how the panel came off. They apologized but told me there was nothing they could do. I expected to get something in return for that from the hotel but they did not seem to care and encouraged that I just live with it. It's a shame because that kinda ruined my stay after having paid extra from king suite with a jacuzzi.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Almogbar
We are sorry that your recent stay wasn’t 100% satisfactory, and will take every possible step to earn your 5-star review in the future. We’re always glad to move guests to a new room for any reason when availability permits. We understand that there were issues with the fit of your Jacuzzi cover, but that this in no way impeded the Jacuzzi function. If any guests notice issues with the fit of the Jacuzzi cover, please rest assured that this does not indicate any problems with the Jacuzzi tub itself. We also urge all guests to contact management as soon as possible if there is any room for improvement during their stay. This allows us to improve your experience and the experience of other guests right away. We sincerely hope to see you again, and hope to “wow” you during your next stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Red Roof Inn Tinton Falls-Jersey Shore
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch? Share your experiences!