“The food was good, but WAY too expensive. Also, they advertise a Manhattan Skyline view. Only if you're sitting a few...”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Weehawken
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Rockaway, NJ
Reviewed December 31, 2007

The food was good, but WAY too expensive. Also, they advertise a Manhattan Skyline view. Only if you're sitting a few choice seats...

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Great steak? Not So Much...”
Reviewed April 12, 2007

I had heard about Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for years..How fabulous it was. So, when the opportunity arose to go there, I jumped at the chance. We were in NJ after visiting NYC

I ordered the "NY Strip Steak" for $40. The steak comes out on a very hot, ungarnished plate. You must order any side dishes a la carte. At about $9 each. Yikes.

OK, so..If it was a fabulous steak, I might say "well worth the price." But it wasn't. Both mine and my daughter's were chock full of big hunks of tough fat. We were so hungry we ate it anyway, though it was hard to cut around the fat since the lighting is so dim in this restaurant. I was ready to have to jump up and heimlich someone. If ours were that fatty, one has to assume the other diners had the same issue. I understand that a well marbled piece of meat will contain some fat, but when half your meal is inedible, there is something wrong.

Ambiance: Very dark, one single shaded candle on table, white tablecloth, minimalist decor, no music. There is a constant din of other diner's conversations going on. Lovely view of the NY skyline, and that was the best part of the meal.

Our server was cordial. But we had to keep asking to have our water glasses refilled by the busperson.

It seems to me that if I am spending over $50 on an entree (I had a side as well,) I'd expect better quality food and a refill on my water glass.

I also was ?? about the $9 "steak fries." AKA a potato cut into quarters and cooked. Heh. Pretty low rent.

All in all, way too pricey for what you get. I've had better steak at Dakota for half the price. We will not be dining at Ruth's Chris again any time soon.

2 Thank mbkb1
Weehawken
“Steak is not worth $34, spend your money elsewhere”
Reviewed September 16, 2006

My boyfriend and I ate at Ruth's Chris tonight. After reading alot of good reviews online and also looking at their menu, I was hopeful that we would have a good meal. I ordered the Filet and my boyfriend got the day's special steak, a Kobe. Both were just "OK", it might just be a little better than the steak we ate at Olive Garden's last week. It was definately not worth the $34 for each. The bread and butter, mushroom stuffed with crabmeat appetizer, and the cheese cake was more delicious than the steak, but still, they were nothing to brag about. The creamed spinach (all the sides are ala carte, each costing about $9) tasted pretty much like the creamed spinach dip at Applebees. We would never go back again, and I advise others to spend their $120 at a place that's worth the price.

3 Thank JulesW