“Terrific, Classic”

Chengdu 23
Ranked #7 of 191 Restaurants in Wayne
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Are you are lover of Chinese Sichuan (Szechuan) Cuisine in Northern New Jersey? Chengdu 23 in Wayne NJ is your restaurant destination for award-winning Hot and Spicy, or Mild Authentic Chinese food. BYOB! We are conveniently located right near the intersections of Route 23, Route 46 and Route 80. And to make it even better we are right next to Willowbrook Mall, AMC Theaters, Costco, and more... so you get to go shopping and relax with a great lunch or dinner before or afterwards. Open Year Round – 7 Days a week. Open on all the holidays. [Coupons cannot be used on holidays.]
Reviewed October 21, 2018 via mobile

Always excellent service, very, very good food. Extensive menu.

Classic Americanized Chinese dishes also extensive authentic Szechuan offerings.

The Peking duck is superr. Crispy, beautifully served table side.

The appetizers are a cut above in quality. The shrimp toast is among the best I have ever had. Crispy, flavorful and not greasy.

Date of visit: October 2018
KevinL7252, Owner at Chengdu 23, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2019

Andrew, thank you for letting us know how we doing. Always appreciated.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

There are not many gems like this around anymore. Most restaurants now that are upscale Asian cuisine are hibachi restaurants. This is the old school chinese fine dining. I remember these restaurants as a kid. Chan's in Paramus was my favorite. Nostalgic restaurant for me. Nothing like it. I love there shrimp toast and homemade noodles. They have some great vegan and seafood meals.

Date of visit: September 2018

Thank you for your time writing a review. We do appreciate it! Let us know how we are doing anytime.

Reviewed August 19, 2018

The quality of the food and service continues to be amazing. The menu is way too big, but the selections are wonderful. When we have been here (and it is pretty regularly) the place is always at least 35-40% Asian customers, which we think kind of speaks for itself. We have never been disappointed when dining here. Try the "Amazing Chicken" - it is! And the beef with peppers.. Great!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

This Chinese restaurant has been around for sometime but management has changed over a number of times over a period. Different owners had different chefs cooking. Was a little disappointed with the taste this time round although the scallions pancake was good tasting. Their crispy duck was not very fresh tasting, General Tso chicken was sweet and little taste! The stir fried long beans was also tasteless. Service was quick and good! Price was mid to high range. Portion was generous.

Date of visit: August 2018

Thanks for your review William. Please note that we are the same owners and chefs since we opened in 2008. We appreciate your letting us know of your experience.

Reviewed July 19, 2018

My husband and I were running errands at the vast Wayne shopping area around Willowbrook Mall and wanted to find somewhere close and good. We succeeded! Although the small frontage right next to Home Goods makes for an unimposing first impression, the restaurant inside is spacious and nicely decorated, with quiet Chinese music playing in the background. The menu is large and varied, and along with typical American "Chinese" dishes, they have many more authentic dishes. My husband chose a shrimp and vegetable dish, and I had a spicy fish-and-tofu dish. They honored my request for extra ginger, cooking it into the recipe so it was well-integrated and delicious. A slight quibble is that they cooked my sauce (not my husband's) with more oil than I would have preferred, but the food and flavor were somehow not greasy and nothing had a "fried" quality. On the high value side, they offered brown rice for the same price as white (which is truly a rarity), and my portion of fish was so huge that I will probably get two more meals from it... and it was so tasty that I am glad for the leftovers! Prices were moderate, appropriate for dinnertime, and overall we were very happy: we went for supper, but it felt like a date!

Date of visit: July 2018