“It may be the best restaurant In Warren County” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
“It may be the best restaurant In Warren County”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I live in a restaurant desert, good restaurants in Warren County, NJ are few and far between. If I travel east or west 30-45 minutes there are many great restaurants, but close to home it is pretty bleak. The one exception is Russo's which is an small Italian eatery, that specializes in more regional Italian cooking, rather than the (to my tastes) the boring american-Italian cuisine so over represented in NJ. The cooking here is simple, focused on the great strength of Italian food, fresh ingredients
and careful preparation. Over the years I have had some wonderful soft shelled crabs (seasonal), Chicken Arrabiata, fresh fish and pastas.
I truly appreciate the chef (Rick) bringing something worth eating to the neighborhood.

1 Thank daanddo

Glen Gardner
“Favorite Italian restaurant in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Cozy atmosphere, consistently great food, efficient service and friendliness of Chef Rick and wait staff

Visited November 2012
Washington, NJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty Entrees; Decent Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

My wife and I have been to this restaurant three times in the last 12-18 months, twice on date night and once with our two daughters (toddlers). I think the service is actually pretty decent. They had one server with a busser/food runner when we ate there. No complaints on getting drinks refilled or any problems with our orders. The entrees are excellent. I had a steak diana (diane?) that was awesome. I also recall my daughters loving the soups they had. The only drawback is that I find some of their prices to be a bit high, but I also tend to go for steak and seafood when I go out to eat. I don't mind paying a bit more if the food is really good, and think that's been the case when we've gone to this place. If you are looking for somewhere to eat in town, it's either Russo's or Mediterranean Bistro (also very good and also overpriced). If you have kids, Enzo's is a decent family place, not as nice as the other two, but better priced. Otherwise, you have to head to Clinton or somewhere else out of town...

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NY/NJ
“Was pleasantly surprised but there wer ealso a few misses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

I had an enjoyable evening at a fairly local restauarant (in this neck of the woods, 10 miles is "local"). The service was good, the food pretty good and the rest of the cusotmers all seemed ot know each other, making it a festive atmosphere. Our appys were excellent, the fresh mozzerella, sun dried tomatoes and roasted peppers and a special spinich ravioli, filled with spinich and cheese. The entrees each were good but could have been better. My wife's alfredo sauce was a little grainy, not sure if it was heated too high and seperated a little, but it was tasting and it didn't really interfere with enjoying the dish. My veal, stuffed with psinich, cheese and mushrooms was slightly underdone in the center. By the time I got to that part, I wasn't sending it back and it wasn't completely raw. Just made oyu tihnk a second or two about if you wanted to eat it. Otherwise the dish was very tasty. Desserts were great. I'd go back but maybe cut my entree in half first to check, otherwisre a good meal.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank pensfan58
Eagle, Idaho
“We'd be regulars if it was in our neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We have enjoyed dinner at Russo's many times across several years when visiting friends in NJ for whom Russo's is a favorite dining destination. Each meal has been top notch for Italian food, whether ordered from the standard menu or from the list of daily specials. High praise from coming from my Italian-American hubby who grew up in an Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Located in an unassuming storefront setting in the downtown area of the very small town of Washington, NJ, Russo's ambiance is not high style, but it is cozy. In our expereince service has always been friendly and efficient.

We marvel at how reasonable are the prices for both the quality and quantity of food served. Chef / owner Rick manages to pull off delicious daily specials and a fabulous fixed menu of traditional Italian favorites at what we consider bargain price for his guests.

As example our most recent dinner for four people was just $100 and we enjoyed a combination of...

...two orders of perfectly cooked calamari fritti with both fra diavolo and marinara sauces,
...blue claw crab cake - loaded with fresh crab - with a dijionaisse sauce on mixed greens,
...marvelous mushroom soup,
...crispy fresh spinach salad,
...luscious linguine with chicken, sun dried tomatoes and olives in a perfectly seasoned cream sauce,
...excellent eggplant rollatini with marinara and angel hair pasta,
...perfectly tender gnocchi with sage, roasted butternut squash and sausage,
...the best penne with vodka sauce (really - I've eaten enough of this pasta dish to know THE best) and
...limoncello ice cream

Worth knowing before you go, you'll need to bring your own wine as Russo's doesn't have a liquor license. We consider it a plus to be able to bring a bottle or two of our own to enjoy with friends over dinner. Also worth knowing, for travelers who have mobility disabilities and those who travel with them, Russo's has a step up to get in the door.

It is worth the effort to find this tucked away gem. Our rating puts this in the context of Russo's as a small, chef-owner Italian restaurant and in a small NJ town. If it wasn't 3000 miles away from where we live now, we'd be regular customers at Russo's.

• Visited November 2010