“Absolutely disgusting”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed September 18, 2008

On September 6, 2008, my family and I booked two rooms for one night. I shared a room with my grandmother and we had two double beds. We arrived home late from a wedding we attended and as I turned down my bed, there were long brown strands of hair all over the sheets and one small and one very large, very disgusting stain. It was clear that the sheets were never changed and the bed was made up with the dirty sheets. Being the late hour, and my grandmother already being changed for bed, I slept using only the blanket. In the morning I went down to the front desk to report the incident. I was told the manager was on vacation. Now mind you, this weekend, the hotel was hosting 3 weddings. And the manager was on vacation! I was given the Hotel Manager's business card - Scott Andriola - and was told to call him Mon-Fri, as those are the days he works. I called on Tuesday and he never called back. I called again on the next Tuesday, a week later, and he never called back. As I write this, it's been a week and a half with no return phone call regarding my incident which I explained on his voicemail. Other people we knew staying there also described their rooms as "gross". I felt sick to my stomache over what I saw in my bed and will never, ever stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank magirl

Reviewed July 5, 2008

I had my wedding here in May, 2008 and the hotel was horrible. Over memorial day weekend, the pool wasn't open yet and the front desk staff blamed it on the town for not having the permit yet. They wouldn't even put chairs out anywhere for people to lay out. When it came to my father in law checking in for his room after the reception (which we had secured for a late check-in with a credit card), the front desk clerk said that there were no more rooms available. So my father-in-law drove home, only to find out the next week from the manager that the clerk was mistaken and there was a room available. Finally, in the bridal suite, half the lights didn't work, and the tv was unplugged. I wish we had put everyone at the Marriott across the street. Stay there instead!

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank C1sheepdog
Reviewed June 10, 2008

if you enjoy vomit on your carpeting, kids partying so loud the police need to be called, an inattentive staff, and a clogged shower...by all means stay here.
otherwise, stay very far away from this "boutique" hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank njstinks
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night and will never do so again. I booked a non-smoking room with a king bed and was put in a smoking room with 2 double beds. There was NO hot watter in the mourning when i tried to take a shower and although i was told that some one from the hotel would be up to check on the problem, no one ever did. Breakfast was also a disapointment, the wait staff was rude and the food tasted as if it had been frozen and then thawed out. I wish i had somthing good to say, but the best thing that i can say is that i will never have to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank bob07946
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Somerset Hills Hotel (SHH) is located in a nice though remote part of Warren, NJ, nestled in the hills of Somerset County. In spite of located in a more rural-residential part of the state, it's within walking distance to a nearby shopping strip with some very good restaurants, a coffee house, a great bagel shop/deli, and some other handy services (to include a salon, kids recreation center, and gas stations). It's a decent location all things considered.

As a hotel, SHH's facilities altogether deserve a 3 out of 5 starsas they are on the whole Average. The rooms are spacious and clean, but the furniture is a slightly run-down, and the bathrooms outdated. For the price you pay for the room ($150+), you'd expect a little bit more. Wireless Internet is available, but for a fee. There are no on-site laundry facilities, and the room walls are thin, and the hallways echo severely. You can hear televisions, radios, alarms, and other residents talking from either side of your room -- very unpleasant. College students with family nearby, as well as wedding parties, also like to hold hotel-room parties here. The 3 nights I stayed at SHH, there was a party every night. Rooms are used for pre- and post-partying, which makes for a very noisy and unrestful stay. Beds were not particularly comfortable and the mattresses needed upgrading/replacement.

As for the SHH front desk, it was a mixed bag. Some front desk personnel were attentive, while others were less so and even aloof. SHH front desk personnel demonstrated a lukewarm desire to attend to customer needs. As a customer during check-in, they made me feel like they were doing me a favor by checking me in. However, their Housekeeping staff and service personnel were all quite good, and they seemed to make up for the front desk's inadequacies. I did like, however, the express checkout option they offered.

On the whole, the SHH still seems to be frequented by locals (i.e. people who reside in this rather upscale County) and benefits from a good deal of repeat business and local interest. To be fair, this hotel deserves about 2.5 stars since it is "Okay" but there were certainly some notable problems. SHH does have a good restaurant (The Tap House) that offers some nice beer selections, a good menu (at reasonable prices), and the wait staff is very good and attentive. Their breakfast buffet, however, was not good as food seemed to have been served on burners at 7am and were left to go stale through 11am. Lunch and dinner, however, are much better. There is often live music at the Tap House on the weekends which is good for entertainment or an evening out. But this, too, adds to the rather noisy atmosphere in what really ought to be a place of rest.

I'd recommend this hotel to a solo travel who's self-sufficient and doesn't require much support or external services. Families should consider one of the other local establishments as the SHH wouldn't cater well to your needs. Business travelers will do fine here as well, if anything just for its proximity to some various corporate offices. I also believe staying at the SHH during the work-week will be more agreeable than on the weekends -- when special functions, weddings, parties, etc. seem to bombard this facility.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Rich017
Reviewed November 8, 2007

This hotel exhibits what exactly one wants to expect in the Warren area. Excellant Services, Super Excellant Waitstaff, Knowlegable front desk agents, and a rich atmosphere fit for a queen. I would recommend this hotel and its staff for any future event I would think of having. My company definately will use this place for meetings. The Taproom and its chefs are excellant. Best in the Area

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Our daughter's wedding was a few miles away, and over 100 of our friends and family stayed here. All the people we met, from the front desk to the servers in the buffet dinner and breakfast room, to the room caretakers, made us all feel at home, were welcoming, helpful, and friendly. The rooms were comfortable, clean and somehow pretty sound-proof, considering everything that was going on in the hotel! Our room-coordinator, Jill, was a pleasure to work with. We couldn't have had a better experience. Thank you to all.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Courtyard Basking Ridge
#2 of 4 in Basking Ridge
HYATT house Bridgewater
HYATT house Bridgewater
#2 of 6 in Bridgewater

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!