“Good hotel in quiet location, yet easy access to NYC”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

First time I have been back to this hotel since 1995 and I wasn't disappointed... Friendly staff, clean and pleasant room, good guy on the front desk and very pleased that the breakfast team remembered my preference for tea each morning without being asked!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Rjmackintosh
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write this review! We truly appreciate your business and hope that we can continue to be your hotel of choice whenever you are in the Warren NJ area. The Front Desk team wants everyone to feel at home as soon as they enter our doors. We try to think of our guests as not leaving work or home and going to a hotel, but more like leaving work or home, to come “home!” Hope to see you soon, Andy

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Somerset Hills Hotel staff has always provided excellent service. Very warm and friendly people who go out of their way to be helpful. Now the Tap Room has a great new menu. And still at a good price level versus area restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank EdJW4
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Thank you for visiting the Tap Room located in the Somerset Hills Hotels in Warren, NJ! We have spent over 12 years developing and managing a Micro and International beer menu that is known the world over! Our Restaurant and beer menu is constantly being changed to reflect all that is new and of course all that are the old and hard to find favorites! Look for our updates on Face book! Thanks again and we hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Prior to my recent stay, I had been at the Somerset Hills Hotel once about 10 years ago. I understand it's under new management. The room was okay, but there were issues with not having enough non smoking rooms available. Also the internet connection was spotty. Where the front desk staff was pleasant and helpful (special nod to Robert who was not only courteous, but gave great advice for a nearby, ethnic restaurant). Erica was helpful as well. I was not too impressed with how management handled a couple of issues. In reading other reviews, it seems management is making a lot of excuses for their shortfalls. Hope things turn around for them.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Good afternoon and thank you for your Trip Advisor review. The review was less than stellar and I would appreciate more information if at all possible.10% of our rooms are smoking rooms and we did experience an intermittent issue with our internet for a couple/three days recently and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this caused. I can be reached by email or phone; both of which are available by calling 908.647.6700. Once again please accept our sincerest apologies and I hope to hear from you personally. Thank you, Andy

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel was good for the stay, but there wasn't much else to speak of with regards to the accommodations. The rooms were comfortable and well decorated, but the heating systems were a little difficult. I was not able to regulate the thermostat (room was too warm) and upon calling the front desk, was informed that the hotel regulates all rooms.

The price was a little pricey for just a one night stay, but not too bad. Despite the B-level rooms, the food at the restaurant downstairs was very nice and hotel is conveniently located by Route 78. Definitely a nice place to stop and rest if you don't mind spending a little more on a nice night's sleep.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review The Somerset Hills Hotel. We realize there are many options and when privileged to be the hotel of choice we are truly grateful. We recently installed a new energy management system in our rooms and we have had some challenges; we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We try to think of our guests as not leaving work or home and going to a hotel, but more like leaving work or home, to come “home”! Thank you again for staying with us at The Somerset Hills Hotel and we hope we are fortunate to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Traveling on business to find that ithe hotel has been experiencing Internet problems for some time. I am typing this review from my iPhone since I can't maintain a connection for more than a couple minutes. I won't be able to work tonight. When I ask about the free Internet service, I am corrected with the statement that it is "complimentary", not free. Seriously?

• Stayed: February 2013
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

On behalf of myself and the staff of The Somerset Hills Hotel I wish to take this opportunity to apologize for your unpleasant experience. We offer no excuses however I would like to take a moment to reply specifically. We upgraded our internet service quite some time ago and under normal circumstances we rarely receive any negative comments. I don't know if you were here with the large group/conference we have in house but in either case when we have over 150 laptops being used at one time in our meeting rooms and/or guestrooms (our property has 112 rooms) it does cause some interference. We spoke with our provider and we were advised that we have more than ample coverage but there will be times when the usage exceeds the capability and they suggested we inform the person in charge of the meeting to monitor the usage which I believe we did in this case. Our kitchen closes at 10 pm so in order to insure room service orders can be prepared and delivered we have a cut-off room service order time of 9:30. We appreciate your bringing this to our attention and for allowing us the opportunity to address this with all our staff. If your travel plans bring you back to the Warren area please ask for me (Andrew Pampanin) as I would like to handle your arrangements personally. Once again please accept one our sincerest of apologies. Kindest regards, Andy

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This stay not off to a good start. Recommended hotel by company travel agent. Could not satisfy simple request for additional pillows. Then tried to tv after finishing up work this evening and it does not work! Of course the front desk is not help since its after midnight.

Two more nights and I'll see how this turns out, but for now not enjoying my stay here, of at all! Regretting not staying at Marriott.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

On behalf of all of us, I want to apologize for your experience. We appreciate your bringing this to our attention. Regardless of what time of the day there is no excuse for not providing pillows. Upon investigating the TV issue what we found was the hook ups in the back of the TV were apparently altered by another foreign device; the next morning when this was discovered it was immediately repaired. I left you a couple messages in your room and had hoped to speak with you to apologize personally but I was unsuccessful. We did call Expedia and request your phone number however we were told they could not provide it to us. Our regret is that we did not have an opportunity to resolve this in real time as by the morning when we became aware of the issues you had already sent this trip Advisor. Once again please accept our sincerest of apologies and we hope to have an opportunity in the future to show you our better side. Thank you and have a great day, Andy

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I travelled from England to New Jersey on business from 15 - 17 January 2013. The Somerset Hills was chosen by the company I work for to host its annual departmental conference. I must say that everything about the hotel was good, check in was friendly and efficient. A special mention for Robert at reception who made all of us welcome and has a great knack of remembering everybody by name, always having time for a friendly conversation whilst working. The Tap Room is a good meeting point, fortunately as there are no local bars in the area, they have a wide range of beers, both local and international, including an especially fine range of Belgian bottled beers. The food is also good here and regular entertainment is provided including live music with late opening hours Rooms are comfortable and spacious and good value for money. Having travelled on business extensively in Europe this was a real bonus and being in a quiet location there are no disturbances from traffic. Free wireless is provided throughout the hotel. The catering for the function was excellent, with excellent quality hot and cold food in plentiful supply. All in all, the place is highly recommended for both business and leisure travellers and I hope to have the opportunity to return at some time in the future.

Mike

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Good day to you and thank you for staying with us! We truly appreciate your business and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay! Here at The Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ, it is our goal to make every guest comfortable and feel right at home. There should only be two difficult things that our guests face: What time is happy hour and what time to get out of our comfortable beds in the morning. It warms our hearts to see that we were able to make your stay so special. We think very highly of Robert as well but to hear it from our guests takes is simply FABULOUS! Thank you again for staying with us and writing this review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge
Hilton Garden Inn Bridgewater
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!