“fine place to sleep, just dated”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed March 24, 2011

i moved here one night from the courtyard marriott across the street bc the latter was more expensive on a monday night. the room was fine, just older, with a small bathroom. there was an okay free breakfast buffet included. front desk was courteous. didn't avail myself to any amenities really. the setting is nice but i like my rooms/bed/bathrooms modern.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 20, 2011

As a meeting planner, I recently booked a team buidling event for my business colleagues. The hotel representative was creative in all apsects of the planning.. From detailing our meetings to our themed dinners! The hotel ugraded all our of VIPS to suites with wine and cheese. I received several emails from ny colleagues complimenting the staff and the food. We all agree that the hotel needs a little lift with the rooms but still enjoyed our stay and the entertainment in the lounge during the middle of the week. I would definitely book another corporate event with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel because of a friend's wedding nearby. I was hesitant at first with some of the reviews, but we had a great time! The rooms are definitely a little outdated, but super roomy and comfortable. And the restaurant and lounge were great!! My husband and i had breakfast, lunch AND dinner in there. There was a band playing Saturday night when we got back from the reception and they were so good! I just wished we lived a little closer, it seems like such a great spot to hang out at. Anyway, we had such a wonderful time at the wedding and i'm happy my stay was just as great. Great service, great staff, great food!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We attended a New Year's Eve wedding at the Somerset Hills and booked overnight accommodations. When we arrived, the king room we reserved had been given away. We were assigned to a room with two double beds instead. With a could-care-less attitude, the check-in agent said king rooms are not guaranteed. "Then what is the point of reserving a king room?" I pleaded, to no avail.

Our stay here was a major diappointment, considering the joyous occasion and holiday we were celebrating. There was no customer service to make amends for the inconvenience of the reservation mixup. Moreover, this place seems to cut a lot of corners and skip on routine maintenance. The towels were rough and hard like sandpaper. The bathtub backed up with a puddle of water when we showered. There were no plastic cups in the bathroom. We found an empty potato chip bag behind the nightstand. THERE WAS A STINK BUG IN OUR BED! The ice machine on our floor was broken. At the wedding, they served steak that either was rancid or cooked frozen.

We both work in the service industry, and we know what good customer is and how a business like this is supposed to respond to concerns like ours. This hotel gets an "F" in our book.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BelmarChristine
Reviewed December 29, 2010

The Somerset Hills Hotel came to our rescue during the blizzard. We pulled off the highway to find it open and very accommodating to all the drivers doing the same: hoping to find a place to stay during the storm without being gouged. They couldn't have been nicer and the price was less than most of the chains. The lobby might lead you to believe it's a higher end place, but the rooms are simply business-trip quality, so don't expect too much. It was clean enough for us, though I can see why people might be disappointed with the bed linens and the slightly aged fixtures. The heater was pretty awful: a loud, beneath-the-window blower unit, but whatever—it was warm. I think the bugs an earlier reviewer mentioned to were probably the stink bugs that afflict the entire region. They're tough to keep out of even high-end rooms—but they're harmless.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this establishment overnight for a wedding that was at a near by venue. We had booked the hotel for two nights,and it was not worth the money we paid at all. Me and my significant other are in a long distance relationship and stay in hotels frequently and this was by far the worst one ever have come across. The first room we were put inn had a variety of problems: 1. the heater was broken ( in the middle of December this is a huge problem) 2. The room was infested with bugs, the bugs seemed to be coming from the windows as we found them all over the windowsill and curtains. 3. the shade on the windows don't block the sunlight so if your planning on sleeping past 8 am forget about it. 4. The comforters were filthy and outdated. 5. The mattresses were overused and had a huge slant in the middle. Basically the first night we didnt get any sleep. We decided for the next night to change rooms in hopes to a more comfortable and clean room. We were most defiantly mistaken. We had the same problems as the previous room, except in the newer room there were even more BUGS. My boyfriend killed 8-10 of them and we still found more the next morning. This is outrageous and unacceptable. To the manger of the hotel take some advise and get an exterminator please. People looking into staying here, there's a Marriott down the street, you will probably have better luck there than at this place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank juliej905
Reviewed December 7, 2010

It saddens me to write this less-than-stellar review for a property that has so much potential! It is quite a shame, as the New England-esqe regal building appears a lot nicer than it actually is.

The first room I was checked into reeked of smoke, the floral bedspread was extremely outdated and worn, and smiliarly smelled of cigarette smoke. Upon peeling off the bed spread, I was welcomed with a few stray hairs that were not my own as well as small black stains. Maybe someone else wouldn't have noticed this, but I always inspect my bed before I get into it.
The bathroom had dirty foot prints in it, cracked tiles and the tub had signs of mildew.
I called down to the front desk to see if I could switch rooms. The very polite and acoommodating dront desk agent kindly let me move to another room across the hallway on the same floor. Upon entering, I felt like I was in a competely different hotel! Clean modern, solid gold bedspread, marble counter tops, smoke-free, updated room! Seeing as how this was the same price and my 1st room, I was glad I switched. The inconsistency was disappointing.

The event I attended in the ballroom could have been a comfortably arranged banquet, but alas they (not sure if it was the host or event manager) squeezed about 170 guests in a space that should not hold more than 130. Servers and guests awkwardly moved about the room, squeezing inbetween tables that were much too close together. If considering an event here, I would secure a tasting ASAP and pop into an event so you can see that it meets your needs.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank forestdwellers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge
11 mi away
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!