“Best German food ever!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2014

My wife and I had dinner at Rolf's tonight for our 8th wedding anniversary. We had a coupon from restaurant.com which really finalized our decision to go there. Things are tough ya know!...lol We had for appetizers, steak toasts, and potato pancakes. For our salads we had gurken salat and Beet, orange, and sesame chicken salad. For entrees we had smoked apple chops and Rolf's Wienerschnitzel. Since our coupon was for $50 off of $100, we ordered 4 desserts and took 2 home, along with 50% of our apps and dinner. Everything was authentic, homemade, and right on point! Including Katie our waitress. She was very friendly, helpful, and very jovial. We would recommend this place for any type of meal, as they offer just about anything you can think of, with a German specialty menu.

Reviewed October 14, 2014

The large menu tries to appeal to a cross section of German and east European items. The potato pancakes were excellent along with the goulash and pork chops. The sauerbraten was a bit bland and needed more time fermenting in vinegar. Would recommend Rolf's for a group dinner.

Reviewed October 7, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just tried this place a few days ago because of the German menu. The Sauerbraten was bland and slightly tough. Properly cooked it should break apart with a fork. The gravy though was very tasty. The red cabbage was bland with no taste and the Spaetzle was good with the gravy on it but you should not use Swiss cheese on your Spaetzle. Butterkase cheese should be used with the Spaetzle. Our waitress was OK and did not look happy to be there. She came to our table once and never spoke to us when she dropped of the check. We wont be back.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

When we first arrived at Rolf's, we had very low expectations considering its somewhat drabby exterior, the reviews on Tripadvisor, and the very empty parking lot. When we went inside, however, we felt the atmosphere of some old world charm in the dining room. The wings we had were decent, though probably overpriced and with a somewhat small portion. The ribs we ordered were cooked pretty well, and the bratwurst sandwich was also satisfactory. The chili cheese burger I had was juicy without being very messy, and the schnitzel was also great. The food makes this place well worth the trip, though the ambiance can be somewhat lacking, especially in the bar area.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Was looking for a place to meet a friend. The proximity here in NJ was perfect, the menu offered Some vegetarian fare, and there was outdoor seating (primary motive). Had nachos (minus the chili) which were very good. Jalapenos, black olives, just like I remember from way back when. Friend was happy with the French onion soup. He also ordered a German pretzel which was very good.

The downside was the barmaid and my drink. The waiter was very nice but also young (maybe 18). I asked for a Grey Goose dirty martini, and requested it be ‘very dirty’. Not sure if he understood but I received my martini as a straight up vodka martini with olives on the side. I explained to the waiter this was Not a dirty martini. He apologized and said he must have miscommunicated with the barmaid (basically he took the blame). I told him not to take the blame and if she made a mistake so-be-it. I sent the drink back after explaining what a dirty martini is and what it means to be ‘very dirty’. Unfortunately the drink the 2nd time the same as before. I asked if he knew what the barmaid had done/added, he didn’t know. I asked if the barmaid was new and he said no. He continuously apologized and I explained unless he did something wrong his tip would be the same. My friend mentioned upon arrival that the barmaid appeared to be young (maybe 22) so my guess is she was inexperienced.

After the 2nd time, I opted not to request another drink (if I had to return food/drink more than once…never know what they will ‘add’ to it). There was a band playing inside and they were rather Good and my conversation was great so it didn’t matter.

The downside was another waitress who continuously dropped by our table asking if we wanted her to clear it (I was picking on the nachos for 5-6 hours). I said we were fine and that I was just ‘picking’. But she continuously returned.. Just a bit annoying.

A patron who was alone next to my friend’s side of table kept ‘leaning in’ as if he was listening in to our conversation. A few times someone who ‘appeared’ to be a manager came over and talked to this man. So I figured they were friends and I was careful with what I said. Finally, after 6 hours, the man (who appeared to be a manager) came over and apologized saying he had heard about my negative experience with the martini. I explained it was fine, NOT the waiter’s fault, and that I understand people are ‘new’ and may not get the order correct, but he assured us the barmaid on staff was experienced. The manager seemed to blame the waiter for the mishap and I was not happy with that. I told the waiter who already apologized that I deemed it was the fault of the barmaid.

The manager seemed to disagree, I said it wouldn’t impact our coming back, and he said again he was sorry, but NEVER offered reimbursement such as a free appetizer, dinner, or drink which I expected. Maybe my mistake was stating we WOULD be back despite the negative experience.

I WILL return with either husband, friend or colleague, but rest assured when I do I will be AT THE BAR watching the drink be made to see what went wrong.

1  Thank gail m

Been to Rolf's? Share your experiences!