“best sushi” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dunellen, NJ
“best sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

we have stopped going to any other sushi restaurants, and find we compare those on vacations to Mr PI. prefer weeknights because weekend always has a wait.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank garciafa

Basking Ridge, New Jersey, United States
“True Old World Meets New World Style.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I am going to cut to the chase on this review. The food is some of the freshest I have ever eaten in a Sushi Restaurant. The fish might as well have been flopping around in the cooking area before they made our meals.

We have wanted to try this place for some time. So, on a free Saturday night, we decided to give it a try. What a great idea.

The menu is filled with old world rolls, and udon noodle dishes, and bento boxes. But mixed in are fusion dishes and creative meals that truly work.

We tried both. Our standard rainbow roll, and shumai was great, and fresh. Along with that, we ordered a volcano, which is sashimi squares formed into a mountain over radish slaw, and topped with their special sauce, which is delicious! Then, the grilled calamari, which is a whole tube of the squid, tenderly grilled with teriyaki sauce, and sliced thin into rings was fabulous. They keep it formed in its original state. The presentation was great on both dishes.

Then, we tried a vcr mango roll, which was huge, and had a mild spicy sauce over it. Well done! Just the right mix of flavors. Super.

For desert, we tried a dish I would normally never try. Fried Cheese Cake. You know what? It was great! They take a slice of frozen cheesecake, roll it in coconut flakes, and fry it. Both different and delicious! I was really glad I took the leap and went for it. I can still taste it the next day. Yum!

The inside of the restaurant is not much to look at, but we were there for the food and company. It was a great night.

WELL DONE MR. PI!!!

To my followers:

try something new along with your old standard. You won't go wrong.
Try something with his special sauce, and let me know if it isn't the best thing you've tasted in a while at a sushi restaurant.
BYOB-bring a nice white wine with a hint of citrus. Will go great.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrew R

Been to Mr. Pi's? Share your experiences!