“Not even just ok”

Berta's Chateau
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Wanaque
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shelton, Connecticut
“Not even just ok”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I wanted to like this place. I really did. I'm Northern Italian with my ancestors coming from Modena. I had heard it reminded you of eating at grandmothers, and it did, but my grandmother was not a great cook. She put out quite a spread but I don't remember her fondly for her cooking. We where greeted warmly by the staff. As a matter of fact the staff was great. We where given stale breads/crackers and some cheese/dip pots that had the consistency of plastic. A great veggie plate can out and I will applaud that for sure nice touch and the olive bowl as to die for. We got the pre-fix dinner after figuring it out said it was $29 on their site but when handed the menu is was now $33.00. No big deal, but the other prices where so high for a-la-carte it was our only option and really a good deal, if the food was good, but it was not and I was sad. Came because of the reviews and now I realize they didn't hit the mark. My entree was dry and tasteless and my boyfriend app was dried out and small and not edible. They call it Italian food but there was no garlic or tomato sauce in sight. The sauce on my green noodles looked like dog food with bits of carrot and had me wondering It was a 2.5 hour experience as service was slow but they give you little things along the way so we didn't mind LOL Dessert was great and biscotti saved the evening but by then we felt deflated as we prepared for the bill. The food is much better at our local Asian buffet for $10 a person and now we where facing a Benjamin because beers where $12.00 and we later realized we where charge for beverages that where supposed to be included in the pre-fix. This place has been in business over 50 years and got me wondering if something has changed recently. On the way out of the parking lot my boyfriend gasped in horror and I said "what" He said that girl next to us was on her 4th beer that's going to be $50 added on to her bill! Crazy thought but true.

• Visited January 2013

U.S.A.
“AMAZING!!!!! Wine list is like a NYC 5 star”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

THe food, service, and wine list are second to none. If you closed your eyes you would think you are dining in a New York City 5 star or Paris. If you are anywhere near this restaurant you must visit, you will not be disappointed.

Visited November 2012
Ringwood, New Jersey
“Always at Home”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

From the first time we went (with our first child asleep in her carseat under the table) to the most recent time for a wine dinner with friends (sans kids) the experience has always been excellent!
The hosts & professional waitstaff are just that. You are treated like time honored guests as often as you visit from the first time and even if you missed several months!
The food is excellent with the finest ingredients from meat to fish and specials are imaginative.
The wine cellar is more than most can comprehend with acceptable mark-ups not blow you away pricing.
I wish I could eat here weekly, but unfortunately have to settle for special occasions & wine dinners. Well worth the first time trip if you live further away.

• Visited May 2012
New Jersey
“Great, but not if you're a vegan!”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Very good restaurant with fresh vegetables and bread basket on the table before you even order. Cozy and delicious. However, I called before taking my vegan guests for their birthday and was assured the menu could be altered. Our waiter was less than accommodating more like resistant to our desires. We got him to agree to prepare the risotto with olive oil instead of butter but then he served the coffees with whipped cream, ugh!! It was uncomfortable when this was a special occasion. But overall I would highly recommend as long as you have no dietary restrictions.

• Visited June 2012
“Hidden Gem in a Residential North Jersey Neighborhood”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Wanaque, NJ...have you heard of it? Is it Wah-nah-kee or Wanna-Que? No matter how you pronounce it, Berta's Chateau makes this tiny North Jersey town! With it's extraordinary Northern Italian cuisine and massive wine list (Barolo to die for!), this is, hands down one if my fave restaurants ever! The history dates back to 1925 as a residential home that was added on to for years. My husband and I love to dine in the bar room; dark and cozy away from the larger rooms that generally cater to large parties. Long time waiters, Peter and Joe complete the experience with their humor and exceptional service. Get on their email list to be contacted for wine tasting events throughout the year. Chef-Owner Peter Bernstein goes to great lengths to bring fresh and tasty vineyards to the table in which you can purchase bottles after dinner.

• Visited January 2012