“Another great meal.”
Review of Walpack Inn

Walpack Inn
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reading
“Another great meal.”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We visit family in NJ every year, and each time we always go back to the Walpack Inn.
I think the key to this is the consistency of the place. The food is great and if you stick with the main menu items you won’t be disappointed, or failing that ask if the chef has any specials that aren’t on the menu and you could end up with an amazing treat.
It is very casual, caters superbly for the kids who love the salad bar and watching the deer. We’ll certainly be back next year.

• Visited August 2012

Wood RIdge, NJ
“Rustic Ambiance”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This rustic restaurant is tucked away in the rural northwest corner of New Jersey. The dress code is VERY casual. The artifacts make the place ineteresting and the view of the rolling mountains made it worth the trip. In fact, the trip itself is breathtaking. You can see the flora and fauna from anywhere in the restaurant. Make reservvations, because it gets busy. Excellent bread, good salad bar (which I usually snub my nose at). The menu was a bit limited but if you like basic steaks or fish, you'll do fine. I had the T-bone, which was cooked as I requested. A little pricey for what it is, but worth it for the overall experience.

• Visited July 2012
“In the middle of nowhere a mega-oasis”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Great bar
Big salad bar
Awesome bread
Fine dining experience
&
"eat with the deer" indeed it's wonderful with exterior lights and deer food putting deer right outside your wall of picture windows in this vintage albeit highly expanded roadhouse
Many specials ie Friday lobster, Saturday prime rib, etc
Abundant food, tasty, but even though it's in the middle of a national park come early as its popular and can get very crowded !!!
Summer has out of door concerts !!!

Whitehouse, New Jersey
“Order carefully!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

For Steak - Prime Rib only! Pork chops looked good at another table. If a problem with the food, address imediately. Mashed potatoes are very good and salad bar is fair.

Nice atmosphere - order carefully - Pricey items may not be worth it.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Walpack Inn - Wonderful experience -Prime Rib is key.”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have eaten here many times, and it never fails to offer a nice evening.
They specialize in prime rib and other steak dishes, though they do have shrimp and a few fish selections.
When you arrive at the Inn, you pull off a secluded road in beautiful mountainous New Jersey, which is quite unknown to most who live outside New Jersey.
You enter into a beautiful old bar/reception area unlike that of an old ski lodge from the turn of the century.
Old farm implements as well as countless taxidermic specimens adorn the walls through out the entry and dining rooms.
The food is very consistent.
There is a nicely stocked salad bar that comes with all dinners.
Also - quite famous - and for good reason - there is fantastic fresh baked bread served with soft real butter for the table. It is a whole wheat, molasses bread recipe, which we always enjoy.
For dinner, I have had the prime rib - which I actually recommend - and only recommend prime rib at Walpack inn. I did have their Brazilian Skirt Steak the other night as I thought it would be slightly lighter, for a steak dinner :-). It was great, with a sauce on the side. Their recommended Potato wasn't the best, but was still good. I should have chosen the garlic mashed potatoes, but, then again, I mentioned I wanted a little lighter.
My son had the kids portion prime rib, which was large enough for any normal human adult's meal. I of course felt obliged to help him with his dish...
My brother in Law had the Teriyaki Rib eye, which he always orders. I will get that next time I go there.
Watching deer in the field is a highlight of the ambiance. While we didn't see deer that night, we did see a black bear in the field - ambling slowly across. This was a wonderful sight for me, to see a black bear, not in a cage - and from a table with a nice meal in front of me surounded by friends and family!
The only reason for the 4 star, and not five star, is that while the prices are higher - from $22 to $40 per person, without drinks, the service wasn't quite to that level.
Paper napkins, and the fact that our server was so busy takes the last star off the review.
No excuse for paper napkins with a $30 meal. None.
Our server got us everything we needed, but seemed really busy. As if she were making great money, but certainly didn't have time to relax while taking our order.
If your server is in a hurry, and it's quite obvious a question about a dish or about the restaurant can be handled, but isn't really appreciated - it's hard to settle into a 5 star meal.
Now - having said that - this place is really nice - and I certainly will go there with family again, and again. I just won't give a place everything I have to give, if they won't give me the same - for the money - understand?
So - go enjoy Walpack Inn. I wouldn't imagine a disappointing meal there.

1 Thank iloreyix