“Excellent meal, don't be fooled by the location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ritz Seafood - CLOSED

Ritz Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
NJ
“Excellent meal, don't be fooled by the location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

This is a very small place in a strip mall by a movie theatre. We were recommended to try it by students at UMDNJ/Kennedy Health Center down the road. We arrived later on a Saturday evening, and there was a vacant table. For the future, I'd make a reservation.
They were out of some of the menu items, like the lobster rolls and tails, so we changed our order. (It was after 9 on a Saturday, and they had been crowded.) As appetizers, we had soup, calamari, and an asian pear salad. My guy had crab cakes and I had the seafood pot pie. The fish was fresh and well-prepared. The sauces were outstanding! I'm sorry we didn't save room because the coconut cream pie sounded wonderful....but no room!
Our waiter was friendly, apologized for being out of the lobster, and was able to answer our questions about how things were prepared. We had a wonderful dinner, and I wished we lived closer so we could go back often. (There is a separate lunch menu, and a twilight menu, but we weren't there during those times.)

• Visited March 2012

Southern New Jersey
“Wonderful seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I've never had a bad meal at Ritz Seafood. We've eaten here a number of times and have never been disappointed. The fish is phenomenal and the coconut cream pie is not to be missed!

It is a very small restaurant in a strip shopping center. As space is limited, a reservation is highly recommended.

• Visited March 2012
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“How the mighty have fallen.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

We went out for dinner and a movie. We had eaten at Ritz Seafood several years ago and absolutely loved it. Good food, wonderful ambience.
This past Saturday night, we occasioned to eat at Ritz Seafood since it is in the same mall as the movie theater. I figured we were in trouble when a party of four in front of us said that they were kept waiting almost one half hour beyond their reservation time to be seated. I observed several tables without food, only water glasses, while we waited (again, we were walk-ins).
Once seated, the waiter came over very quickly, and was attentive throughout our stay. He explained the specials, as well as those dishes which had been sold out.
I understand the concept of leisurely dining. I understand subtlety in flavoring. I understand publicizing your accomplishments.
To start with, the Special Korean Tea WAS delicious. Dinner went downhill from there. The specialty of the house appetizer (Ahi Tuna with Two Caviars) was pretty to look at. However, it was basically mashed Ahi Tuna that was bland even though it was layered with two (gritty, flavorless) caviars. At $12, we expected MUCH more. The butternut squash soup actually was good. The lobster bisque had no pieces of lobster and was somewhat too salty. The steamed portobello & shiitake dumplings were tasty, but pasty and had a too salty dip (the grated carrots in the steamer basket were a nice touch).
Our entree was an evening special: Japanese white bass covered with asparagus and lobster with three small shrimp in lobster sauce, and a side of white beans/carrots/tomatoes. While the fish was properly cooked, there was virtually NO flavor. The lobster sauce added NOTHING. We asked the waiter for a different sauce and he brought over a chili sweet-and-sour sauce that made the dish tolerable.
Despite it all, we ordered dessert. After ten minutes, someone came out of the kitchen to tell me that my pecan pie order had to be changed because they had run out. I substituted Chef Dan's sweet potato-and-praline special pie. I have had real good sweet potato pie before, but this fell far short. It tasted like plain mashed sweet potatoes poured into a store-bought pie crust covered with carmelized pecans and burnt mini-marshmellows. My wife's bread pudding seemed to be missing both cinnamon and nutmeg, although it was warm and moist. The vanilla ice cream dripped with caramel was tasty.
All in all, we have had much better dinners for less than the $78 (including tax) than we spent at Ritz Seafood. Chef Dan also needs some pointers about his attire (pajama bottoms and a baseball cap rather than proper pants and a touffe) and his personal hygiene. Nothing scares you off more than an ill-groomed and sloppy looking chef mingling with the customers. Where was Gordon Ramsey when we needed him?

• Visited February 2012
Blackwood, New Jersey
“Good Meal everytime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

My wife and I really enjoy the prix fixe menu. There are many more options than a normal prix fixe menu. All the food is beautifully presented. The service does tend to be a little slow, but it also has the feel of a place that should be an experience opposed to a quick meal. Get the coconut cream pie for desert, it is excellent.

• Visited November 2011
Mt Laurel, NJ
“Spend your money elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Returned to this restaurant for lunch recently after having a poor dinner experience many years ago. Decided to give it another try at my friend's suggestion. Bad idea. The service was poor. The food was awful. We ordered chicken and shrimp satay and lobster mac and cheese at the recommendation of the one waiter in the restaurant. The owner sat in the back the whole time and came to the table promptly when we paid our check . Very overpriced for the poor quality, unimaginative food served. Also, the place could use a good cleaning and updating.

• Visited August 2011