“Unexpected find”

Mirko's a Taste of Europe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

After attending a late afternoon showing at the Rave Theatre, we came in here for dinner and were pleasantly surpised by both the menu variety and the quality of the food preparaton. We were not expecting food of this calibre in a storefront restaurant. The atmosphere is one of a European bistro which sets the tone for the atypical yet welcomed offerings in this area.
There is something here for everyone, and a meal could be had from the appetizers, soups, and salads side of the menu. The entrees ranged from sauerbraten and goulash to pastas, chicken, and fish. Vegetarian selections are indicated with a small v. Portions were generous. My only criticism would be that the salad's lettuce wasn't sufficiently "dry" so dressing could coat it better. We were too full for dessert, but the displayed pastries did look enticing.
We will definitely come here again. Don't expect quick diner service here as items may be prepared to order, and hot food was served piping hot. The chef came out and spoke with diners for feedback. After having read some of the other less positive reviews, it makes me wonder if we were at the same restaurant.

joannmc16, Owner at Mirko's a Taste of Europe, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

I am very happy that your visit with us was a positive one. Chef Mirko puts a lot of time and creativity into every item he prepares. It's nice to have people appreciate meals made fresh and to order. Thank you for your comments, and I hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Ask for prices! After a nice movie, we decided to try this new restaurant at 8:30 P.M. on Saturday. They were having Greek specials. What a mistake.

My wife wanted the mixed appetizer special. They were out of it. She wanted the Chicken skewers. They were out of it. Finally she settled on the Ratatouille. It was woefully undercooked and was the worst Ratatouille I have ever had.

We split a large Greek salad. It was good, but nothing special.

Foolishly, I ordered the Moussaka special without asking the price. I had a smallesh chunk of mediocre Moussaka (it’s better at any local Greek diner!). When I received the check with the $20 price tag, I was really surprised. But, it gets worse.

They have a desert tray. My wife got a generous portion of baklava. It was okay, but I am glad I did not order it. I got the Belgum waffle topple with fruit and whipped cream. Unfortunately, it had 1 blueberry, 1 raspberry and ½ strawberry in a sticky sauce. There was 1 teaspoon of whipped cream. I had to ask for more, but it was a very small quantity. Unfortunately, the waffle was soggy and even IHOP produces a far superior product. Stupidly, I did not ask the price. I was shocked to see my waffle was $10.

For $77, including tip, we had mediocre food, and we were ripped-off. If you are foolish enough to go there, NEVER order a special or desert without getting the price.

1  Thank RonCappEsq
joannmc16, Owner at Mirko's a Taste of Europe, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

I am very sorry you were not satisfied with your visit. We do our best to make sure every guest is satisfied, and had I known there was a problem I would have corrected it immediately. We have a limited number of specials each night, and unfortunately, by the time you came in many were sold out. Everything we make is from scratch, made to order with the finest fresh ingredients and we do believe our prices are fair. Small portions is not something people complains about.

I truly am sorry your experience was not a good one and I will look into it further.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great food, atmosphere and service. I've been there many times, can't wait to go back! Everytime is a new experience, great menu and great specials every day, something different every time I go!!

joannmc16, Owner at Mirko's a Taste of Europe, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us! We can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Warning up front: This place is BYOB. We tried it on a whim on a Friday evening. We ordered from the 4-course Harvest menu and enjoyed it. The cooking was outstanding: Our fried oyster appetizers were hot and delicious, and the entrees were excellent, especially the goulash, which was very hearty and boldly flavored. The portions were generous, to say the least, and the prices very good. The service was pleasant but confused; we waited an unnecessarily long time for our entrees because of what appeared to be poor coordination of orders by the kitchen. If they can sort out that problem, this place has the makings of a great restaurant.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

First off, id like to say that we were having a three star experience, but because the kitchen staff came out to greet us really made our night a bit better. We went here for dinner and were pleasantly surprised. It's not cheap, but still very reasonable. Most of the meal was delicious, with some minor exceptions. The spaetzle someone at my table was very under seasoned, as were a lot of the other foods we were served in our main course. Also the fish (salmon) and beef we had ordered were a bit dry and over cooked. Everything else though was spot on and really tasted great. I've had better food at this price range 18-30$, but this place is still up there.