“Poor Quality at High Cost”

Wingate by Wyndham Voorhees Mt. Laurel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Voorhees
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Let me start by saying something good about the Wingate by Wyndham Hotel in Voorhees, New Jersey. It appears to be clean, at first. Note that I said “at first” as deeper examination shows it is not clean as I will explain.

There is a big lobby and breakfast area upon entering this large hotel. It is modern and well maintained. The rooms however although perhaps recently updated are poorly designed with ill fitting furniture and poor use of space. While the rooms are big, no consideration was given as to how to use the space in the room.

I cannot speak for all the rooms at this property, but the room in which I had my experience should have been taken off line for renovation. My king size room had an old soft lumpy bed that angled down toward the head and to the left. (I had to struggle to keep from rolling out all night.) The bed is placed next to the heating and ventilation system and had a single nightstand which was placed on the right side, the wrong side for me. Although I moved the nightstand to the other side of the bed it had to be placed sideways which left the drawer blocked by the bed and only a narrow passage to get in and out of bed on that side. There was no need for this as the room was HUGE, but designed with a chase on two walls making it impossible to relocate the bed in all the space.

The bed was made and short sheeted so the blankets could not be pulled up further than the center of my chest. When I went to the front desk to ask for a second comforter I was handed an old velour blanket that had many stains and cigarette holes in it.

Based on the inability to move the bed, the TV and the wall mounted mirror needed to be reversed in position. It is impossible to watch TV straight on from bed or any place else in the room as it could only be viewed from an angle.

Since the TV could not be viewed from bed one would think there would be adequate light to read in bed. Unfortunately this is not true. The bedside lighting is dark and poorly placed. In the early morning though, around sunrise, it is easy to read in bed and there is plenty of light as the drapes are too short for the windows and let in the morning light. Additionally the drapes are designed in such a way that had I not blocked them with my briefcase, they billow out over the HVAC unit when it is running letting in even more light.

The room being so big makes one wonder why the bathroom is so small. One cannot get into the shower without closing the bathroom door around them which is a poor design. Two bath towels are provided that are new, but very thin and not very absorbent. Also the soap is rather abrasive and reminds me of Ivory. Another poor design feature in the bathroom is the faucet on the sink. It is not long enough to let one wash their hands without touching the back of the sink. This could have been remedied by either a different fixture or having mounted the faucet appropriately when installed.

The shower head is some strange plastic design that offers very low water pressure in either a half moon spray that goes around ones body completely or a small, always moving stream that is never in one place. This plastic shower head was also filled with mildew and was not suitable for use. I picked up a small showerhead at a local discount store and replaced it.

I have attached pictures to illustrate my findings.

I asked for another room but was told that the hotel was sold out. I asked for a bed board to straighten out the bed and was told they did not keep any. I asked for longer drapes and was told none were available. I asked for another hotel and was sent to The Hampton Inn which was wonderful.

When checking out I explained all the difficulties and said I did not wish to be charged for the stay. The Front Desk Customer Service Agent, Kimberly Glatz told me she did not have that authority. I asked her to get the person who did have this authority and she became quite rude saying that her manager, Dan Bolton, was off for the weekend. She told me that I was being very difficult and asked me to leave her alone or she would lose her job.

I explained to Ms Glatz that if she did not have the authority she needed to handle this situation then she needed to contact the person who could give her the appropriate authorization. She made a phone call, in front of me to manager Dan Bolton but did not explain the situation in full only saying that a guest was leaving and did not want to pay. She also would not let me on the phone nor call Mr. Bolton back after she got off the phone.

I tried to reason with Ms. Glatz and stated that she did not include the details of the situation when she spoke to her manager. I asked her to call him back as he was not able to make a meaningful decision without knowing why I was asking for his consideration. Ms. Glatz became hostile at this time and said I could not tell her what to do exclaiming “You do not pay my salary”. I was told I could call back on Monday to talk with the Mr. Bolton.

When I did call back on Monday Dan Bolton refused to take my call. The front desk individual, Sade (whose last name I did not get) showed me the same rudeness as Kimberly Glatz. Based on this I believe that this rude behavior toward guests must be trained into the staff by hotel manager Dan Bolton. I called back on several occasions and could hear all going on around as the phone was put down without being placed on hold but I was never connected with anyone.

After several calls on Monday morning I was finally put through to Dan Bolton. I told him of my dilemma and he stated he would get back to me. He never did. Even worse, when I tried to call him on many occasions every day for the next four days he used his staff to duck my calls. Apparently Dan Bolton, the manager of this motel is either never on the property, or when he is, he is on a conference call and cannot be disturbed. I left several voice mail messages with my name and number as well as messages with the front desk staff on several occasions. I never received return phone call from Mr. Bolton.

After a week I gave up trying to contact Dan Bolton and finally resorted to working directly with Wingate by Wyndham Customer Care. After reviewing the situation I was issued a refund by check from the customer care center.

In summary, staying at this Wingate by Wyndham was no different than staying at a low cost budget hotel like the sister properties of the Wyndham Group which include Howard Johnson, Super 8, Knights Inn and Travelodge among others. While it always varies based on management, my experience has generally been that these properties typically offer low service and a poor value. Once again it only shows that while you can put lipstick on a pig, you still have a pig.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Maineguy0001
Marilena R, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Voorhees Mt. Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

There has been a change of management since your departure so please come and stay with us again and experience the great change. We have a shuttle van now for our corporate and wedding guests! Many improvements have been made property wide. We strive to WOW our guests! Hope to see you again soon!

Marilena Rivera
General Manager as of April 2013

Reviewed November 13, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Donny B
Daniel B, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Voorhees Mt. Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Reviewed November 11, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Daniel B, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Voorhees Mt. Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Reviewed November 6, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 6, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been using this location for my out of town guests for about five years and I have received positive remarks from each. The accommodations and guest services has always been great.
The hotel is in walking distance to the near by shopping centers where you can find; movie house, coffee shop, small eateries, chain resturants, grocery store, clothing store, hair and nail salon, office supply and many more.
Easy taxi ride to Lindenwold High speedline - which travel directly into Philadelphia and Atlantic City shoreline.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the west side.