“Customer "aggravation" week was more like it...”

Larry's II Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 138 Restaurants in Vineland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Franklinville, New Jersey, United States
“Customer "aggravation" week was more like it...”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Ok, first let me start off by saying I know this isn't fine dining--it's basically a glorified diner--and thats ok, because I love diners. However, my family and I had the misfortune of unknowingly going in for dinner during "customer appreciation" week. The restaurant was offering buy one entree, get one free--as you can imagine, the restaurant was, what I believe to be, unusually busy. I work in a restaurant. I've worked in food and beverage for years. This experience means that on some levels I am probably more tolerant of slow service than some other patrons might be--I know what it's like to be "in the weeds". However, it took over an hour to get two entrees--chicken parm and chicken francaise--and two kids meals--mac and cheese and turkey/mash potatoes. Any of you with children know what it is like to be waiting for even 15 minutes when they're hungry--no fun! Just as my husband and I were seriously considering leaving and going through the McDonald's drive through down the street, the food arrived. The chicken parm wasn't great, but it was edible. The turkey and mash potatoes likewise were acceptable. My son's mac and cheese--which the manager, Debbie informed me was Kraft mac 'n cheese--looked like it had been sitting either on the stove or in the window for the entire hour. My chicken francaise was chopped up, tossed with my "side" of linguine in a giant soup bowl and swimming in a greasy yellow broth. It basically looked like a giant bowl of greasy chicken noodle soup. Finding both my meal and my son's to be inedible I asked our server if we could see the manager. After pointing out my problem with both meals, her reaction was to laugh. She offered to have the kitchen redo my chicken, but after waiting for an hour for the mess that was served to me, I passed. I also explained to her that I too make Kraft Mac 'n Cheese at home and that at no time have I ever served it looking like it did on my son's plate. I asked her to remove them from our check which she did; we ended up paying only for the chicken parm. Her explanation for the slow service--and we weren't the only ones waiting an unreasonable length of time--was the volume due to the buy one/get one deal. I suggested to her that if they are going to have that type of promotion then they need to make sure that the kitchen is staffed to handle it. It clearly was not. My previous experiences at this diner have been mediocre at best. After this evening, we won't waste our time or money.

• Visited August 2013
Larrys2Vineland, Owner at Larry's II Restaurant, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Karen G.

We are very sorry that your experience for our Buy One Get One Free Offer on Wednesday was less than desirable. We work very diligently to try to give you the best experience possible through great service and quality fresh food. Our kitchen was staffed to physical capacity as well as our front of the house staff in anticipation of increased business because of our offer. Our restaurant was filled to capacity in a 20 minute time period with a wait list as well. As you know from working in restaurants, better service and wait times are improved when customers are spaced in time. We apologize immensely for our missteps in production and service time as you experienced a wait and did not enjoy your meal. Our food is cooked to order and normally our customers are in and out for dinner in a 45-minute time period. Lunch is a 31-minute turn around. We know that Debbie had offered to remake your food but you had declined due to waiting such a long time already. As you know, from being in the business, a complaint is addressed promptly. We also spoke to Deb about “laughing” and we train our staff to always approach guests with a smile and resolve any complaint. We are sorry if you were offended but we assure you that wasn’t Deb’s intention. We truly care about each guest who walks through the door. We thank you for the time you took to write your review as we value your opinion and experience. We would love to talk further to answer any concerns or reservations you may have about visiting us again. We can be reached at 856-692-9001, please ask for Bob or Ryan.

Buena, New Jersey
“Just OK”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Had breakfast at Larry's II today like I have had a handful of times. The best word I can do to explain the meals I've had is OK to Good. I will go back as they still are one of the better choices for breakfast/lunch in that area. It would be nice if they took AMEX.

• Visited August 2013
Monroeville, New Jersey
“Very Plain Food”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have eaten lunch/dinner here several times, their food is very plain, my french fries were served cold. I sent them back and they heated the same fries instead of making fresh fries, they tasted rancid. I decided not to send them back again, so I just didn't eat them. The service is good depending on the waitress you get, I've had a bad one at times. This restaurant is not as clean as it should be, especially the carpeted areas. One good thing I can say about this place is they have very good bread pudding and rice pudding.

• Visited June 2013
“ok for a diner”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Only diner in Vineland, salad bar is good. For a quick meal or breakfast it is good. When you need something fast it is quick and the service is good and the prices are in line.

Visited April 2013
Bridgeton New Jersey
“breakfast”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

employees seemed to be tired as they were not attentive or very friendly. the food was avg at best but the coffee was hot. The overall cleanliness was lacking

• Visited August 2012