“Mediocre Food, Over priced, Poor Service”

Smokey's Brick Oven Tavern
Ranked #6 of 28 Restaurants in Vernon
Cuisines: Barbecue, Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Vernon, New Jersey, United States
“Mediocre Food, Over priced, Poor Service”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We hadnt been to Smokeys in over a year and the quality of food and service has gone downhill. The garganzola salad was awful. Sour apples, stale cheese and over priced. The pizza was OK. but not worth 10.50 for a personal pizza. The waitress was rude and slow the whole meal forgetting our rolls and then messing up our checks (and blaming it on us). Ended up being charged three times for the meal so paying 96 dollars for a meal. Will not go again and have been telling others not to either.

Visited December 2012

Morristown, New Jersey
“Great apres' ski spot”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Smokey's Brick Oven Tavern provides a pleasant alternative to the many traditional pizzerias in the Vernon area. The tavern has a diverse menu that is complimented by tasty food. The environment is clean and tastefully decorated. Smokey's is a nice place to get something to eat & drink after an exhausting day on the slopes. Since the pizzas are cooked in a brick oven, there is a bit more of a wait then your average pizzeria pizza. However, the pizza's thin crust, mild sauce, and hot bubbling cheese made it worth it. Keep in mind that prices are a little higher then your average restaurant, but given the remote location and lack of competition it is understandable.

• Visited October 2012
Wood Ridge, New Jersey
“A must go for the pizza”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I'm from the NYC-NJ area where there's a million great pizza joints. This is probably #2 on my list now for best pizza. This place was recommended to us to have their pizza only (apparently everything else for entrees isn't good). Definitely did not disappoint. Also ordered a salad and calamari which my wife and I both shared. Calamari was really good and the salad fresh. Will definitely be going back for more pizza when I'm in the area. We had an excellent attentive waiter and the prices are reasonable.

• Visited August 2012
“Great pizza, overpriced cocktails”
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I've been to Smokeys a few times. They have great pizza. It's a little pricey for the size, but the crust is unique and extremely thin. 2 people can easily finish one pie. Considering the lack of pizza options around the area, I don't mind paying a little more in this case. We also have ordered the calimari a few times and it's tasty.

I did have 2 experiences which left a bad taste in my mouth...

First be wary of their cocktails and drink specials offeredby the waitress. Most of their cocktails run $9 which is overpriced. I found this out the hard way when I ordered the drink special offered by the waitress of their housemade sangria. I wasn't advised of the price (and I didn't think to ask because I never expected it to be $9!!) it didn't come in a wine glass but in in a tall skinny glass filled with ice. When the bill came, I thought I had been charged for 2 drinks but the waitress assured my that was the price of one. The next time we were there I noticed that $9 was the average cocktail price. Thankfully beer is priced competatively there.

The second bad experience was recently. We took some family there to welcome them to the area. We opted for meals instead of pizza this time. With a name like Smokeys my husband and I thought the BBQ dishes on the menu must be great. We were very disappointed. I ordered the half rack of ribs which were sad and dried out. My husband ordered brisket which also looked sad and worked over. Also for the price he only had maybe 3 slices. We should have gotten pizza that night

I'm sure we'll go back, but it will only be for pizza and beer.