“Great pizza, overpriced cocktails”

Smokey's Brick Oven Tavern
Ranked #7 of 29 Restaurants in Vernon
Cuisines: Barbecue, Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Great pizza, overpriced cocktails”
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I've been to Smokeys a few times. They have great pizza. It's a little pricey for the size, but the crust is unique and extremely thin. 2 people can easily finish one pie. Considering the lack of pizza options around the area, I don't mind paying a little more in this case. We also have ordered the calimari a few times and it's tasty.

I did have 2 experiences which left a bad taste in my mouth...

First be wary of their cocktails and drink specials offeredby the waitress. Most of their cocktails run $9 which is overpriced. I found this out the hard way when I ordered the drink special offered by the waitress of their housemade sangria. I wasn't advised of the price (and I didn't think to ask because I never expected it to be $9!!) it didn't come in a wine glass but in in a tall skinny glass filled with ice. When the bill came, I thought I had been charged for 2 drinks but the waitress assured my that was the price of one. The next time we were there I noticed that $9 was the average cocktail price. Thankfully beer is priced competatively there.

The second bad experience was recently. We took some family there to welcome them to the area. We opted for meals instead of pizza this time. With a name like Smokeys my husband and I thought the BBQ dishes on the menu must be great. We were very disappointed. I ordered the half rack of ribs which were sad and dried out. My husband ordered brisket which also looked sad and worked over. Also for the price he only had maybe 3 slices. We should have gotten pizza that night

I'm sure we'll go back, but it will only be for pizza and beer.