“Just okay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
Short Hills, New Jersey, USA
“Just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

It's been 5 years since we last stayed and the place looks exactly the same. The lobby and rooms all feel dated. The pool is nice but not ideal for kids. Their water floats are just for adults and kids are not allowed to bring their own into the pool. Racquet courts are great but we never were told there was a fee till we checked out. We went zip lining nearby and glad we booked early. Maybe next time we try Crystal Springs.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Robert V, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us here. We value all guest comments regardless of the circumstance, and use them as a training tool to better our service and property.

While Minerals Resort & Spa does continue to gain character, we make continuous renovations througout the year in terms of furnishings and equipment. Just a few months ago we replaced all our television sets with new HDTV LEDs. With the addition of the Adventure Center, this has oppened a wide array of activities that have not been offered before including horseback riding, archery, and kayaking just to name a few.

There is a fee for use of the Tennis and Raquetball courts that have been established since the building's founding; however I will pass this on to our sports club so they may perhaps make the signage larger as to not be missed by guests.

If you have any other concerns or comments please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We actually stayed at the Grande Cascades, but went to Minerals specifically for an autumn trail ride. As a casual rider since childhood, I was struck by how different this experience was from other rides I'd taken over the years. Mary's horses Stetson and Aspen were full of energy and pep, showing a lot more enthusiasm than the typical trail horses I'd grown accustomed to. Another noticeable contrast was the condition of their coats -- gleaming, fluffy, and free of debris and mats -- I honestly never knew that horses could feel so soft and smooth! Another bonus was that there was someone who took a few pictures of us while we were riding and e-mailed them to us totally free of charge. And group sizes are small to ensure that everyone consistently receives individual attention. The colorful foliage and clear lake we passed made for glorious scenery as well. The price was completely in line with what stables usually charge, yet offered far better value than the average trail ride. I would recommend this to anyone.

My only complaint was that when we booked our reservation by phone with the hotel staff, nobody warned us that we needed to arrive 30-45 minutes early in order to catch the shuttle to the trail (if you have anything other than four-wheel drive, it can be tricky to drive there yourself), so we ended up getting to Minerals just a hair too late to make our originally scheduled ride. However, to the hotel's credit, our ride was rescheduled for the next day without charge or hassle.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert V, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear SilverLining,

Thank you for sharing your horseback experience with us. Mary is sure to appreciate your kind words and we all are very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We do hope that you will join us for this coming Winter season on the slopes!

Best wishes,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent a weekend at Minerals along with a group of over 40 people for our couples retreat. The staff took excellent care of our entire group. There were other events going on at the same time but our group did not notice. This was our second year at Minerals with our couples retreat and we plan to return next year. Once again, Minerals took great care of us. Thank you!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review!

We are all glad to hear that your even ran smoothly and we take great pride in our employees and service. We hope to see you again and look forward to your next group event!

Best regards,
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have vacationed at Minerals for the third year in a row and we keep returning for the excellent service , food , and serenity. This resort is the nicest place I have stayed , and I travel all the time with work . My wife and I had the perfect getaway during the fall here this year and the colors of Vernon were amazing to say the least . We ate @ Kites twice and never had any reason to leave the resort to eat anywhere else . That food was a 12 on a scale of 10 . I mean right down to the service , they really know how to make you feel welcome and the dishes came out really well presented. We wanted to have a relaxing time , and we both received massages that were wonderful @ the spa which is probably the cleanest spa I have been to . The staff made us feel so welcome , with smiles and friendliness.
We were so pleased to find out there were horses available this year at the resort . We booked a late afternoon ride , and were lucky to go by ourselves . Most places you ride have way too many people going out at one time , and is pretty boring in our past experiences. We took the shuttle bus provided and it was a great experience and our driver Barbara was very friendly and told us a lot about the resort and past history of the town on our way to the ride .
When we arrived we were amazed on how beautiful the mountain was , and how nice the horses looked . The horses were beautiful ! We did not expect to go on a trail ride like this ! We met Mary and her dog Cody who was sitting on a horse as we arrived . It was the cutest thing we ever saw. We rode Montana and Radar who were not only gorgeous , but very easy to direct as we are beginner level riders. The ride was not what we expected , but much more than you could imagine. The leaves were all changing and it was the most scenic trail that we had ever been on . Mary was very friendly , and stopped many of times and took great photos of us . This was an hour ride that she spent much more time with us than expected . When we returned she continued to take photos of us and we rode the horses on the beach area and she allowed us to go into the lake with them to get a drink . My wife and I had the best stay at Minerals this time around in the past 3 years we have stayed here . I am so glad we got to meet Mary and her dog she is really great with horses , and has a true love for the outdoors. She even let my wife wear her hat and chaps , we took a lot of great photos home . We will never forget this special experience and wonderful stay and cannot wait to return next year ! Thank you so much Mary , and the rest of the friendly and wonderful staff at the resort . This was beyond the best vacation we have had together in a long time ! Hope to come with my brother and his family next year . I will pass on this dream spot to all of my friends and family looking for a relaxing getaway .

Dear Michael D,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us! We are more than delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. With the colder months ahead comes the opening of the Mountain Creek Ski Slopes and Park, where there is much to do in the snow! We hope to see you with us soon.

Best wishes,
Sea Cliff, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Rented a condo with some friends for the weekend. 3 bedroom condo was nestled in the woods giving you a very rustic feel. Signed up for the archery which was fine. The Bus ride to the top of the mountain was really jarring in the off road section so we chose to hike back down the mountain which was beautiful. it would have been nice if the trail had been marked a little better but it all worked out fine. Had the best massage in a long time and the food was great at the Pub and the Bistro. Would defiintely go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear P371,

Thank you for wour wonderful feedback about your adventure. We are always happy to hear of the wonderful times our guests have with us. We hope to see you with us again soon, so we may earn your 5 star rating.

Thank you!
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Wife and I stayed for a weekend getaway for our 5th wedding anniversary. We had a room with a King bed and fireplace which was very nice. There was a nice sized balcony but we didn't really use it as we enjoyed the heat from the fireplace more. The pool is a nice amenity and the heated outdoor pool was a pleasure. The one knock on the place is the food. The lunch I ordered wasn't edible. Thankfully the excellent bartender noticed and took it off the bill. Being lazy and not wanting to drive back to Warwick we decided to stay for dinner...bad idea. Artichoke appetizer tasted like the microwaved ones I buy in trader Joes. My medium steak was medium rare but even worse was very bland. At the prices they charge the food should be better. Easy checkout was nice too

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MikeSaratov
Dear MikeSaratov,

Thank you for sharing your experience and concerns with us. Rest assured that we take all comments very seriously, no matter the circumstance. While I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us as a whole, it is concerning to see that the restaurant was not able to meet your expectations. I have sent your feedback to our Food & Beverage Director so he may further follow-up on this so we may rectify it post haste.

If you have any other concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Newark, New Jersey, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I go up there every year for our wedding anniversary, we absolutely love this place. Kites has a great Halloween party every year. This year they had horseback riding for the first time, we met up with Mer, the guide, and she saw that i was pretty unprepared. lol I didn't realise how much colder it is up there up in the mountain, Im a city girl:) Anyway she went and got a pair of gloves for me and a nice warm coat to borrow which i really appreciated otherwise I would have not been able to go. Our horses Radar and Murph were beautiful and very well trained. We went through an amazingly scenic wooded trail. I wish I could post pictures so you can see what I mean. I will definitely be bringing our daughters up next year and do the same package. It was by far my favorite trip:)

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony