We booked a room this past weekend for the Tri-State Super Spartan race at Mountain Creek. We were referred to this "resort" by a friend and although the rooms were quite expensive, we figured this this would be our splurge weekend. Boy were we disappointed.
Out fist impression of the hotel was that it was quite nice, although nothing to write home about. The room was average, however the air intake vent for the air conditioning was located in the main room and the metal door to it rattled quite noisily every time the unit turned on. We eventually had to leave the door open for the night to reduce the noise.
There are two TV's in the room, one in the main living room area and one in the bedroom however there was only one remote to work both TV's. Not a major inconvenience if it was just me and my wife, but since our kid was staying with us sleeping on the pull out sofa bed in the living room, sharing a tv remote was just absurd.
The mattress was just plain TERRIBLE. I don't think I have slept on a harder set of springs in my life. Needless to say, sleep was very restless, just what we needed before a Super Spartan.... Who knew that the challenges would start before the actual race.
The biggest surprise came the next morning when a box of cupcakes that we left on the kitchen counter was infested with red ants. I'm not talking about a few, I mean what you would find on your sidewalk if you dropped ice cream by an ant hill. There was literally a steady stream of ants from behind the counter to the box of cupcakes and filled the dishwasher. I attempted to call the front desk from the room but no one would answer. After walking to the front desk, I spoke to the person behind the counter who assured me that maintenance would be up within the half-hour. Later, upon check-out, maintenance still had not arrived. When I told the front desk about it, all they told me was that they were busy and didn't have the time to come up. I voiced my displeasure, especially after haven paid $200 for a one night stay, but it fell on deaf ears, without even the opportunity to speak with a manager.
All in all, I think the hotel has potential, however given the current management I could not recommend anyone spending the night there. For the money, you can get much better quality at a much cheaper resort or hotel where they actually make an effort at customer relations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mountain Creek offers luxury hotel and vacation condo rental lodging for your Appalachian Mountain vacation in Northern New Jersey. The surrounding Vernon Valley area offers fantastic dining, 12 golf courses, antiquing, wineries, horseback riding, apple orchards, quaint shops, stunning state parks, the Space Farms zoo, hiking and of course, world-class snowboarding, skiing and snow tubing in the winter. Your perfect family getaway or romantic weekend to remember awaits you. We'll exceed all your expectations at Mountain Creek Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mountain Creek - The Appalachian And Black Creek Sanctuary
- Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary Hotel Vernon