“snowboardin with the family”

Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary
new jersey
“snowboardin with the family”
Reviewed February 4, 2008

ok... im gonna be compelty honest with u.. im a 15 year old kid and i went up last weekend with my whole family. and i absoultey loved it. the moutains were great even tho im not amazing or terrible snowboarder but the moauntains were perfect for me. the room i stayed in was 2 floors and was really cool and had alot of room and made me feel like home and a great vacation. the hotel to go was amazing.. it has a pool inside and then a pool thats inside but goes to outside and it was amazing bc it was heated like a hot tub and it still felt nice even tho it was like 30 degrees. it also has rooms to play tenis hand ball sucided and stuff like that. also has a basketball court and a resutraunt that my mom n dad ate while me and my bros went to the pool..... okay so parents if u are looking for a good vacation for u and ur kids im telling u this is the right choice... as a normal 15 year old kid writting this on feb 4th 2008 i am telling u it is worth it

• Liked — good moutains and loved the hotel because there was mad stuff to do and u dont get bored
  • Disliked — umm actually like nothing.. it was all good and nothing to complain about
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New York City
Reviewed January 22, 2008

I stayed at the Appalachian Hotel for two nights over the MLK weekend. When we arrived at the hotel it became clear, that our studio with "valley view" was located overlooking either the parking lot or a very busy road (Rte 94). I asked Carol at the front desk to transfer me to a quiet room. She failed to mention to me, that I would be charged $30 more per night, on top of the $407 that I was already paying PER NIGHT (incl taxes, fees and lift tickets). This price is absolutely outrageous for what this hotel has to offer, it should be more in the $150 price range. Our new studio with "mountainview" was on the first floor, with a glass door to a small terrace with a table and 2 chairs, overlooking the ski slopes and the heated outdoor pool. It was quiet, nice, clean, but small for a family of three. There was one King size bed and one sofa bed, a nice gas fireplace. A kitchenette with granite countertops, tiny sink, microwave, stovetop with 2 electric burners, refrigerator, place settings for 4. A basic bathroom. A table with 2 (!) chairs. After a trip to the frontdesk we were brought a third chair. The digital TV with HBO and other movie channels worked at times, at other times the picture was completely distorted. The technician came promptly, but was unable to fix it for the whole time of our stay. We wanted to use the outdoor heated pool, but there were no towels (another trip to the frontdesk and the promise to bring the towels outside to the pool. Mind you the temperature was 20 degrees. Noone ever brought us towels outside). The next day housekeeping did not vacuum our floors (clearly visible crumbs were left under the table and in front of the kitchenette), nor restock the coffee or tea (another trip to the frontdesk...). My complaint to the manager was met with an attitude of "we know about all these problems but are unable/unwilling to do anything about them". We enjoyed nice days of skiing and the proximity of our room to the slopes. On the last day I requested a late check out, because the kids had ski class until 3 PM. I was told check-out could be extended from 11 to 12 noon. After that I would be charged $50 per hour. I went to get the luggage cart (yes in this $ 400+ /night hotel you are supposed to be carting around your luggage by yourself!!! I couldn't believe it either!). I was told the check-out was noon, but at 11.40 AM I could not get back into my room, because the card had been de-activated (another and LAST trip to the frontdesk...). At that point I had really had it with this hotel and its completely incompetent management. The same manager from the day before was there and did not say a word, while Carol wanted to charge me $ 60 extra for 2 nights in the "Mountainview" room. In all my travels and stays in 5 star hotels I have not seen so much outrageous overpricing for non-existent services. To recap: the service was terrible. Absolutely nothing was done right. The facility was ok, nice location, nice pool, great skiing. but as soon as the hotel staff had to do ANYTHING, they were unable to. This hotel was at best a 3 star place with truly bad service and housekeeping, and a staff, who did not care at all about their guests.

• Liked — Location 50 yards from the ski slopes
  • Disliked — Service. Overpriced.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Dasylu
pittsburgh
Reviewed August 30, 2007

stayed at the appalachian hotel. Staff was wonderful , they upgraded us to a one bedroom suite when the room we requested did not have a separate shower. Gorgeous room. Only concern was the the fireplace was 'hot' even though it was not on. but otherwise a great place.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Grand Cascades Lodge
#1 of 2 in Matamoras
Minerals Hotel
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon

Been to Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary? Share your experiences!