We stayed at the Appalachian in April and were part of a wedding party. Perhaps our expectations were too high, but I felt like i was more let down than accommodated. First, the name of the lodge is very confusing. It goes by multiple names and the sign on the street refers to Mountain Creek, causing many of us to get lost because we passed right by. I'm unsure why the hotel must have so many names.
I use the word 'hotel' strategically because it was marketed as a 'resort' and it most certainly is not. Again, we were not there during ski season, so I'm unsure if certain amenities just aren't offered in the ski season. One thing I expected from a 'resort' was some sort of dining options. There is no food options during the day. I did see a sign for a fine dining experience which even had limited nights where it was offered, but this is far from the quote from the confirmation email which reads: "For your dining pleasure, we offer 12 unique restaurants, bistros, pubs, and cafes." One day, we found ourselves with absolutely no food options. The rooms do offer cook top stoves and refrigerators. I just wish they had told us that we needed to use/stock them if we wanted to eat. The reason we like choosing 'resorts' is so that we don't have to think about food and groceries while on vacation.
We called the operator twice - once to ask about dining options and the other for a wake up call. We were on hold for 10 -15 minutes respectively before hanging up. The first time, one of us just went to the lobby to ask about dining. The second time, we hung up and called from the mobile phone to request a wake up call. When you are on hold indefinitely, you continuously hear a recording apologizing for the wait and informing callers that the calls are taken in 'priority order'. I assume this is not in the oder of dialling, but in the order of which resort you are staying in. i personally found this offensive, when I was just asking for a wake up call.
Speaking of the wake up call, we happened to wake up before the time of the call. We noticed the time pass of the requested call and were not too concerned. However, 25 minutes after the requested time, we received an automated call. If our flights had been dependent on that call, we could have missed our flights. Again, not impressive from a place that calls itself a 'resort.'
The hot water is more like warm water. I could never stay there in the winter when you really need hot water. I've never stayed in a US hotel that had such lukewarm water in the shower.
Finally, there was a loud pump noise that occurred 24 hours a day. If anyone from Appalachian is curious to know if we called, please see the points above regarding the inability to report such matters by phone. I think it was related to every time another room flushed their toilet because is sounded like a water pump, but I cannot be sure. Other guests spoke of the same thing.
The room was clean and spacious, but the service was not really existent. We stayed two nights and our room was never cleaned. I would have expected daily service from a 'resort'.
I'm sure my rating would have been higher if my expectations were simply set appropriately.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mountain Creek offers luxury hotel and vacation condo rental lodging for your Appalachian Mountain vacation in Northern New Jersey. The surrounding Vernon Valley area offers fantastic dining, 12 golf courses, antiquing, wineries, horseback riding, apple orchards, quaint shops, stunning state parks, the Space Farms zoo, hiking and of course, world-class snowboarding, skiing and snow tubing in the winter. Your perfect family getaway or romantic weekend to remember awaits you. We'll exceed all your expectations at Mountain Creek Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mountain Creek - The Appalachian And Black Creek Sanctuary
- Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary Hotel Vernon