“Beautiful Resort for Ski & snowboard lovers”

Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary
New Jersey
“Beautiful Resort for Ski & snowboard lovers”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

A beautiful resort each room has a full kitchen & balcony awesome views. Black creek is for a large family or several families as they are bi-level units complete with fireplace kitchen laundry. The town does not offer much other than skiing & a few great spas and 2 great restaurants. The resort is adding a restaurant this winter. All in all it is a great escape! A bit pricey but if splitting the bill with couples is great

• Stayed December 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The location was perfect. The staff was helpful and friendly. The facility was clean and the room was comfortable. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Selden, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at the Appalachian resort during the 2009-2010 season (last year) and had a great time. The hotel was beautiful, service was great, and it met all of our needs. The hotel offered a fantastic breakfast to hotel guests on Sunday morning which was great. The only down side of the entire weekend was that the pool house looked like it had been in a fire so the fire pit next to it was not open to use but that was it. My fiancé and I had a nice relaxing ski get-a-way. Since our stay was so great, we asked our family for gift cards and passes for Christmas so we could go again this year.

We made our reservations in January to spend a 3 day 2 night weekend at Mountain Creek the weekend of February 25th. We received our reservation confirmation as well as 1-2 other emails again welcoming us and giving us a phone number to call if we needed further assistance or anything before our upcoming stay.

We checked in to the hotel on Friday, February 25th. We were shocked when we opened the door to Rm 128 to see a giant blue dumpster on our patio blocking our entire mountain view . We went back down to the front desk and asked for a different room since this did not meet our standards. When we are paying $239.00 a night for a mountain view room we expect a NICE mountain view room not a giant blue dumpster. I cannot even believe that they would put anyone in this room under those circumstances. The front desk informed us that the hotel recently had a flood and it is undergoing construction. I understand that things happen but why didn't the hotel notify us of the condition of the hotel BEFORE we checked in. In the email correspondences we received days prior to our check-in, I would have appreciated being notified of what happened and would have expected the resort to have offered us one of your other hotels such as Minerals, Grand Cascades, or Black Creek if we wished to change. I would have liked the decision of whether or not I wanted to stay there under those conditions rather than the resort keeping it a “secret” until we get there and it’s too late.

We were relocated to Rm 328. It still had the downward dumpster view but at least we were able to see the mountain. We walked down to the village to grab a bit to eat and everything was closed. I didn’t realize that when the ski resort is closed due to inclement weather so are the restaurants on site. The food court, Deck Bar, Hex2 Bar and the ski shops were all closed. I understand that the conditions are not the resorts fault but if the entire Mountain Creek ski resort including food is going to be shut down, than we should have been informed of other options of things to do or places to eat upon check-in. (We didn’t even know that the resort was closed until we looked out of our window.) We had to drive back out to the grocery store to get food to make in our room. When we went to make food, most of the silverware, cookware, glasses and plates were dirty with crusted on food from past guests. I had to wash everything we wanted to use before we could use it.

Since the ski resort was closed due to rain we decided we would make the best of it and watch movies on our laptop. We found the Ethernet cable to plug in for internet but could not find the port on the phone, the wall, or cable box to plug it into. The port on the phone was too small and would not fit the Ethernet cable. I went to call the front desk and the phone did not have any labels on it just a bunch of blank buttons. I looked for a book in the room to tell us how to call the front desk and there wasn’t one of those either. I finally picked the right button and reached a gentleman at the desk. When I asked him where to plug the Ethernet cable into his replay was “I don’t know, I’ve never used it before.” Since we couldn’t use the internet, I asked the gentleman at the front desk if the large hot tub would be open later since the smaller one was pretty full. His reply was “No”. I asked if it would be open tomorrow and he said “No”. I finally had to ask him why and he said “It’s broken.” At this point, I was so frustrated I just hung up.

We were glad to see that the resort did blow snow on Friday night so we had decent ski conditions for Saturday considering how much rain had fallen on Friday. We had an okay day skiing on Saturday and were looking forward to skiing half a day on Sunday. However, Saturday night after the resort closed, no snow was made. The temperature was low enough that it could have been made but wasn’t. (I worked at a ski resort for 5 years so I know when it can be done and cannot be done.)

Since there was no new snow and quite a bit of ice by Saturday night we opted to not ski on Sunday since the conditions would be the same if not worse than Saturday night – ICE. We went down to enjoy the continental breakfast just like we did last year on Sunday morning and there was nothing down there. We went back to the room and I called the front desk to ask if it was located somewhere else and the lady replied “No, we don’t offer that anymore.” My fiancé yet again had to go out to get bagels for breakfast since there was nothing on-site. Our nice relaxing weekend was not relaxing at all. It was extremely disappointing and frustrating by the lack of customer service, amenities, and empathy shown for your customers. We never received an “I’m sorry” or “I apologize but…” or even suggestions on where we could go for food. Since we didn’t have a book in the room on the amenities offered or local attractions, restaurants, etc we had to go off of what we passed on the way in.

I did contact the resort about our stay and they did offer us a complimentary night stay at one of their other hotels on site for a future visit. We are going this fall so I will again post to let you know if the Minerals Resort is any better. To be continued....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were there for an overnight golf trip. The rooms are considered suites which were adequate with a small kitchenette area but don't expect them to look like the picture on the website. They are slightly larger than a regular hotel room. The other couple with us was given a room overlooking construction and inoperable air conditioning, not good in 90 degree weather. They were given another room but considering the hotel was pretty empty they could have given them a better location from the beginning. The pool was nice. There is no restaurant on location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LCXY
Dutchess County, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Found this hotel on the website for Crystal Springs Resort. I was looking for a weekend getaway resort with entertainment and hot tubs,his favorite and golf, his passion. Was hoping for a nice place to park the car and not need it until we left. Not happening here. Desk personnel was very nice but gave us wrong address to get there. No restaurants (or bar) on site so the desk person made us reservations to a restaurant, Kites, without even asking us what we wanted. We were anxious to relax and enjoy the weekend so why not, right? (Kites is located at Mineral Springs just down the road.) Then he gave the shuttle driver the wrong location so we were late but it didn't matter because it wasn't even close to being crowded. Service was adequate but the food was overcooked. I ordered the rib eye and was so disappointed. I expected much better for $31. My husband wanted a cheeseburger. He was disappointed too. His was as dry as mine. Chef needs lessons on what medium is.
So back to the hotel, not resort, but hotel, only to find out that the hot tub closes at 10 PM. Are you kidding? Its vacation and you close the hot tub!! And one of the 2 pools was also closed, all day closed. Same thing at Mineral Springs. Summer time, 90 degree weather and they close pools. Okay, the resorts are not at full capacity. Maybe this is why?
The room was small & dated but adequate for our purpose with views of the construction site next door. I paid for this! The hotel was not at all crowded so I am sure there must have been others rooms they could have put us in. Very badly stained carpet and the bathroom was covered with hair. The following morning I left the bed unmade but simply pulled the duvet up to the pillows. When we got back the bed had been made or so I thought. When I pulled to duvet down it was obvious that the sheets (both top & bottom are unfitted) were left in the same unkempt manner in which I left them. So who's suppose to make the bed when you're at a hotel? And what a mattress! So hard. They need a mattress topper. Bathroom hadn't been swept or the tub tidied. What was I paying for? Fitness center is nice but you have to go to the front desk for the treadmill key and towels. Bring your own water as the fountain they have has poor pressure and no cooler so the little squirt of water you get is warm. TV is set for open room sound, not earbud capable.
Best restaurant in the area is The George Inn. Its not affiliated with the hotel or resort. Good food, reasonable prices, excellent service. Atmospere is so-so. Sort of a nicer diner type of place. But the food is worth it. Great omeletes, burgers & sandwiches.
As a summer fun hotel, Mountain Creek leaves much to be desired. Prices don't warrant the "adventure." Crystal Springs seems much nicer and does have restaurants on site but they are all operated by the same management. And they are far apart. Shuttles can be inconvenient. Might go back and play golf but won't be using the overnight facilities again. Waste of time and money.
This is a better place for familes with young children who willplay at the Water Park across the street. Not a couples get-a-way. So little to do. But worse is the lack of quality.

Room Tip: Specify a clean room with a view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gaudilady
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed January 24, 2011

The Appalachian hotel has noticeably improved this year - it was good before, but the new management must be doing something right. People were friendly, extremely accommodating and professional. In fact, everyone we met was a pleasure and gave us the impression they were truly happy we were there -- very welcoming. We had such a good experience, we have already been back. The hotel really gives you the feeling of being at a New England resort (or even out West) - direct ski in/out, right next to the lifts, great (hot) pool and hot tubs, excellent landscaping and decor... The front desk personnel were all very skilled and gave a great impression from the minute we walked in. We had stayed in the Appalachian during previous seasons, but this year they have definitely taken it up a level! Great family experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed January 16, 2011

The Appalachian is a great place to stay for a ski weekend. I went up with my four friends for the MLK four day weekend and we had an awesome time. The ski slopes were just outside of the hotel and it was so convenient! We were able to go snowboarding one day and skiing the next making it such a fun weekend. The outside heated pools were awesome and so relaxing after a long day of skiing. My friends and I also like the fact that there was a terrain park on the mountain too, and when we were staying there, there was a snowboarding competition hosted my Redbull! The rooms were really clean and had great electric fire places making it feel really cozy. The other great part of the room was the kitchen where we were able to save money and make some of our food instead of eating out! The Hex bar was also a great place to go at night and hang out. Definitely go here if you want to have an awesome ski trip!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Grand Cascades Lodge
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Hampton Inn Matamoras
#1 of 2 in Matamoras

Been to Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary? Share your experiences!