“Expensice, But Nice Powder After Winter Storm”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mountain Creek

Mountain Creek
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Vernon
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Creek is a unique gateway to the mountain lifestyle for millions of local urban and suburban adventure seekers. It is the NY metro area’s closest ski resort, located 47 miles from the George Washington Bridge in Vernon, NJ. Mountain Creek offers over 167 acres of terrain on 4 mountain peaks with 100% night skiing and the region’s highest vertical. The resort also hosts the region’s only true All-Mountain Terrain Park at Mountain Creek South.
New Orleans, Louisiana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Expensice, But Nice Powder After Winter Storm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We chose Mountain Creek because it was the closest skiing to NYC and had good reviews. We typically ski CO so I wasn't sure show this trip to NJ would compare. However, my family and I arrived just after a winter storm and enjoyed 3-4 days of fresh powder. Nice mountain for beginner and intermediate skiing. Its pretty expensive, but I guess that should be expected since its so close to NYC. Snow tubing was fun, but a little disorganized. One negative I have to point out is that there were way too many unsupervised teens working there. At times it felt like they were running the place without adult managers/supervisors - lots of employees visible, but not actually working or helping the customers.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank NoMoses

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Salty price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great infrastructure and trails, good for those around NYC seeking to learn skiing or snowboarding. The prices were a little bit salty though.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank rafaeltloureiro
Hopatcong, New Jersey
“They stole my bike!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I want to start off by saying that, the trails are great!! I have no problem with those, it was the workers their. To start off, I had accidentally gone down a very bad trail that was just rocks and mud, and a rock buckled me over the handle bars. I hit a tree, and the bikes handle bars were just a little crooked. I take it down to the service station to have them fix it. (I had a brand new bike). After they fixed it me and my friend went to eat and rest for a bit. I put my bike on the bike racks with ALL the other bikes. I ate cheese fries, which took about 5 minutes, and after that I couldn't find my bike, I looked all over the place. When I couldn't find it, I went down and reported it. At this time I believed a visitor stole it. They had a co come down so he could help us. Here's where it gets wierd. The cop asks if they had any security cameras there, they said no. First of all, they should security cameras on where ever there are at least 60 bikes sitting in the same place. Then the cop asks if they had any chips on them ortracking devices. They say no, which they should have this. I told the police man that they didn't offer any bike locks for rent or anything. My point is that they have no security for their visitors property, and that once they say that I had crashed the brand new bike, to send someone and take it, because I can't think of another reason would take that bike when there are at least 15 bikes WAY better then the one I had, and I know that for a fact. There were 5 and 6 thousand dollar bikes sitting out there, so they take mine? And they take a rental one? Which could possibly have tracking devices on ot? All they would have to do was to take a bike near mine and not have to worry about it.

In the beginning they make you sign a contract and give them your credit card number in case anything happens. Well after the bike got "stolen", they automaticially took $500 out of his account. My dad told them that he would take them to court if they took anyomre out at that time. They listened, and didn't take anymore that day, but they never called back! Which leaves me to believe that they just wanted a few dollars. because the bikes were $1500 bikes, and if your bike gets stolen there supposed to take a grand, so I have a pretty good arguement about this one.

Visited August 2012
Boonton, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Get there early!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We went up to Mountain Creek for a day out in the snow in what was likely one of the last weekends of the season. As a first-time skier I opted for the Ski Lesson package whilst my husband spent the day snowboarding.

The parking is plentiful and there was a shuttle offering trips up the hill (which is easily walkable if you didn't want to wait) to the Lodge, we didn't wait long at all for the shuttle.

We arrived at 9am which is when the mountain opens, this meant that there were not very many people in the lines. The ticket purchase area had plenty of people available to help and there are many stations available to input your data for the rental equipment (we preregistered for this online the day). We went straight to a teller for our ticket - he was helpful and efficient and the process appeared very streamlined.

We went around the corner to the rental section and told to take a seat by someone who I guess is a hostess of sorts, assured that someone would be along to help us momentarily. This part of the rental process appeared disorganized and somewhat chaotic - I am glad that we arrived early and there were not masses of people around as I am sure it would have taken a helluva long time.

I had a group ski lesson with Bill, who was friendly, funny and focused. There were 6 inexperience/first-time skiers in our group. Bill managed to get all of us comfortable on our skis and during the lesson he gave each of us individual attention for our varying ski levels.

The canteen is completely overpriced - we paid over $6 for a drink and a bottled water. This is always to be expected at these type of resorts but it still hurt!

We will definitely be returning to Mountain Creek - I would definitely arrive when it opens at 9am again as we avoided the very busy period in the ticket/rental area.

Visited March 2013
Nyack, New York
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Good ski area for NY area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you want a decent ski area in the NY Metro area this is about your only option. It is a very commercial operation and they have made great efforts to modernize and update, both the amenities and the ski area (i.e. lifts). Not all that challenging terrain, but better than the other local alternatives.

Visited March 2013