“Pretty stay at Appalachian Motel”
Review of Appalachian Motel

Appalachian Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
GRANVILLE
“Pretty stay at Appalachian Motel”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed there for one night.. The owner of hotel was nice. He is a little difficult to understand but seemed very nice. He told us that the hotel tax is very high. The Hotel is located on a hill very beautiful area. We missed hotel because it is a sharp angle on side of road. The room we has was 2 queen sized beds with small refridgerator and microwave. One nice feature of this room was it had only a shower not a tub. A/C unit was fine. We visited family over the border in Warwick NY.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SCHUYLER S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very very clean and pleasant. The décor was not so bad. The beds are fine. They seem to be an extra firm foam mattress, which in my opinion if pretty comfortable if you sleep on your back. They are not old, rock hard mattresses as others have reviewed. They seemed fairly new. the pillows fine too. Like others have said- make sure you ask for a non- smoking room, we did and had no problems. The room smelled fine. The air conditioner in the wall was a bit loud. This did not bother me, but kept my husband up a bit. I did not hear anything thru the walls even though the place seemed full - maybe due to the a/c hum. There was a nice fridge and microwave. The shower was fine- good pressure. The bacis - soap and shampoo were provided - no conditioner. I didn't ask the desk if they had any. This place much cleaner than the place down the road-best western??? I would pick this over that one. We stay in this area often to visit family and am happy to find a nice place to stay- there are not many options.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for non smoking if you want it!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2292_blue
NEW YORK
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Horrible place, uncomfortable pillows, no coffee, staff rushes you out so they can clean (not even on checkout day), smoke detector chirped all night. Lina, the "manager" is rude and unaccommodating. She gave us extra pillows and then took them back when she cleaned. Needed help because hair dryer wouldn't work, she chatted on personal phone call and ignored me. On our second morning there she came to the door as we were getting dressed and told us if we didn't let her clean right then, she wouldn't clean. Looks like the Bates Motel. This dump makes Motel 6 and Super 8 look live 5-star resorts. Avoid...there are other inexpensive places to stay in Vernon. Stay in Goshen if you have to. But don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank digger207
Oak Ridge, NJ
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at this motel this past Saturday for one night because I took my girlfriend away to Warwick for privacy, apple picking, and the drive-in, which we love going to. In short, our stay at the motel was the black cloud hanging over our trip and we did not feel comfortable at all anytime when there sorry to say.

When I made the reservation on line, now I may have glanced over it, I did not notice there was smoking and non-smoking rooms. Please specify this if your going to stay there! Upon arriving in our room we were greeted with the most unpleasant stink and being non-smokers, my heart sank because I wanted this weekend to be romantic and fun. This was after coming from the office, which smelled like body odor as well and did not make me feel welcome by their lack of decoration, taste, and cleanliness. It was just bare and stinky. The woman was ok though.

After realizing that they gave us a smoking room I went back in to see if we could switch our rooms but the woman said that I didn't specify non-smoking and they have other reservations. Ok, fair enough, but we just felt very unaccomodated and trapped from that point on. We even briefly entertained driving back home after our day in Warwick but I couldn't accept throwing money down the drain. My girlfriend could not get over the smell at any point. I kind of got used to it.

Getting past the smell, the room was pretty clean, but the smell left us with the impression that everything was dirty. All the furnishings were pretty outdated and we didn't even feel comfortable enough with the linens and comforter to sleep under the sheets. T We slept under our blanket we had in the car. The beds were rock hard as the other reviews were not kidding. Tv remote didn't work. Bathroom was ok.

Do yourself a favor and stay at a B&B, unless your a smoker or just looking for a decent place to hunker down for the night which won't put too big a dent in your wallet, then this might be the place for you. If your stay is with your wife, girlfriend, or in any way intended to be romantic, DO NOT do it.

Room Tip: Specify smoking or non-smoking! If your considering staying here as part of a romantic weekend I do...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher S
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My family and I were in town as vendors for Mountain Creek's Oktoberfest and were looking for a nearby alternative to staying onsite.

Yes, the mattresses were rock hard (but I like it that way) but the interior (which could use a little updating) and exterior if this older motel were spotless. The husband (phone reservations) and wife (check-in) were welcoming and friendly. Knowing they could not accomodate our request for a non-smoking room as they were sold out, they did have the windows open in the room to help air it out prior to our arrival (Febreze would have helped too.)

The view is very nice and best of all, it's a mere 5 minutes from Mountain Creek, so if you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay while skiing, mountain biking or golfing at nearby Crystal Springs, this is an acceptable choice as, like us, you're probably spending most of your time at the resort anyway. (I almost hesitate writing this review because I don't want to call to make reservations next time to find it sold out to fellow "tripadvisors!" :-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Claytonnj
Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We decided to stay at this motel because it was close to the Warwick Drive In and other New York area attractions.

Double check the map Tripadvisor is showing. It was incorrectly showing Verona, NJ when the motel is located in Vernon, NJ

When I visited the motel website, I said, that's for me. It was 2 diamond AAA rated; pictures of mountains basically surrounding the motel were outstanding. It looked like the relaxing type of motel I was looking for. I posted the pictures we took here.

When we arrived, to reach the motel there is a steep hill you must drive up to reach the motel as it is on a mountain. The motel lobby we noticed was locked and remained locked the entire weekend. They have to buzz you in. Its family run so the owner's children where in the office and lobby watching television. Check-in went fine as the owner was very nice. The lobby lacks tourism brochures, vending machines, coffee.

It was after dusk when we arrived so we wanted to grab a bite to eat and then relax in our room. It was very chilly this weekend on the New Jersey/ New York border in the mountains. Before leaving to eat we attempted to turn the heat on and there was nothing. After calling the owners, they advised it would take 30 minutes. Ok, so we left the room to eat and upon arriving in the room, no heat. We called again and they advised it will take another 20 minutes. Eventually it did come on.

Now the rooms were very nice and clean. But the mattresses were like stone. You really don't notice how terrible they are until you attempt to sleep. After the first night, I had to purchase a heating pad, Ibuprofen and Ben-Gay for my wife's arm, neck and shoulder. It was terrible. She basically could not move her head and arm for 2 days. The next night since there were 2 beds, we removed all the blankets from one bed, and placed them on the bed we were sleeping on. I had a sleeping bag in the car and placed that on the bed as well. This helped a little but we still could not sleep.

There is no morning coffee as stated on the website.

The motel could use chairs or benches outside the rooms and a lounging area set up where patrons can sit, relax and enjoy the views.

Now if you can accept the mattresses, the motel is great. Maybe our room had the oldest mattresses of the 10 rooms. The mountain views are awesome. The whole area is rural and country.

We would not stay there again but patrons that like very hard mattresses will love the motel. If it were not for the mattresses, I would gladly recommend the motel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blackbear9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
High Point Country Inn
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Hampton Inn Matamoras
#1 of 2 in Matamoras
Comfort Inn &; Suites Goshen / Middletown

Been to Appalachian Motel? Share your experiences!