“stinks that you can't bring your own food”

Mountain Creek Water Park
Ranked #5 of 10 things to do in Vernon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Where will you spend your summer days? …In the natural surroundings of the mountains?...On the beach?...Poolside? Well how about all three! Mountain Creek's Waterpark awaits, with over 2 dozen unique rides, slides and pools set in the mountains of Vernon, New Jersey, just 47 miles from NY City. Experience the thrills of 1,600 feet of pure whitewater adrenaline on the infamous Colorado River Ride, the largest water ride in the region. Leap from the Canyon Cliff into endless blue water, or rocket down Thunder Run or The Gualey, the most supercharged whitewater tube rides you've seen! Drop 40 feet on our Vertigo and Vortex tube speed coasters...in the dark! Plummet 99 feet in just seconds on the H2Oh-No! speed slide. Swing into action on the Tarzan Swings, or race through the dark and shoot out 10 feet above the water on the daring Cannonball. High Anxiety begins with a 5 story drop before accelerating riders into the immense funnel that propels you to panic-inducing heights and a momentary Zero-G experience. It's the shore without the jelly fish! The Hightide Wavepool is one of the largest pools of it's kind, sculpting over 450,000 gallons of water into perfect sets of waves every 10 minutes! Kids World offers more than enough fun to keep the kids happy all summer long. Have a blast in The Spraygrounds, relax in the Lost Island River, zoom down The Hook, or play on our multilevel interactive water play fort, complete with water slides, spray cannons, water hoses, and a 'fishy' shower!
Reviewed September 26, 2013

we are vegetarians and need our own type of food, they made us throw out our vegetables and fruit. they only sell processed disgusting food at an outrageous price. my 7 year cried b/c she had to throw away her brand new gatorade she just bought bc they did not allow it. Other than that, it's a great water park, not so crazy busy. the lifeguards are terrible. they weren't watching the kids. our friend's 4 year old went down a slide to his height and went into the water, he was struggling to get up and was going under. His father and I went in after him. The lifeguard just gave us a thumbs up! i was like really? we were watching him but he just struggled out of the slide and the lifeguard had his back toward him. kinda disappointing. I saw a lot of kids struggling in the wave pool and had to help them. It was a bit scary.

1  Thank Trip_Guru76
in 17 reviews
in 13 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Kids loved the rides, parents not at all happy with food prices, think Yankee stadium prices, with less quality. Locker rental available, but also expensive, better to bring a large bag that can hold your towels, etc..Long walk from parking lot to the water park, so its not really worth the time to walk back to the vehicle to eat your lunch. Bring your own food and it will be a great day.

1  Thank Bill P
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was surprised by the negative reviews as we went just before it closed for the season and loved, hope a personal narrative helps give some context.

My family (my wife and I, and 8, 7, and 2 yo's) are season pass holders at Six Flags. We live close and go once or twice a month at opening and are in the car and out when the park starts filling. My wife won't do water park at Six Flags, or really anywhere, hates them generally. After going to Mountain Creek last week with the 7 and 8 yo's, I told her she would actually like Mountain Creek, as the things she hates about water parks generally are different here.

Begin with the premise that this is not a slab of concrete cut into flat land, as many water parks are. It is built into the side of the mountain, and uses the mountain features. So far fewer concrete steps, as one example. Going is a workout. Just walking from the parking to the entrance is a half mile uphill. They don't conveyor belt the tubes up for most of the rides, you haul them up. The slides aren't prefab (mostly), they use the features of the mountain. If you're getting tubes for yourself and children, don't worry about working out before. The water isn't 80 something degree bleached out typical water park fare. We went late season, it was either refreshing or frigid, depending on your perspective. I loved it, but it will take your breath away. Because it's built into the mountain and has less concrete, it's a lot more shaded than your typical park.

The rides aren't your typical rides, either. You wear a helmet on one whitewater-esque adventure. You can get stuck. You slide out of a chute to a 15 foot drop one place, and can jump from a 23 foot cliff on another. A 23 foot cliff is not a typical water park ride, and can be serious business. If you land wrong, you can get hurt, as you're traveling 25 mph when you hit. My 8 year old jumped, and loved. Maybe fewer rides/jumps/swings than your typical park, but a few were closed when we were there, so maybe just perception. Enough to keep you entertained, for sure.

Re cost, we went online and got a great deal on a pass that let us do the alpine coaster (you drive a roller coaster car, fast, down the mountain) and mini golf (also built into the side of the hill, making it much more fun).

Again, I'm surprised by the negative reviews, but a lot of it probably comes back to what you want/expect. If you're looking for a typical water park experience, go to Hurricane Harbor. If you're not in good physical shape, I imagine this place would be daunting. But if you're looking for a mountain adventure in summer, some place that approximates the thrill of skiing/boarding in summer, this is your place.

3  Thank Bill B
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a two season park, we have tried this park in the summer (water park) and the winter (snowboarding). For the summer water park I notice the rides where apart from each other but they were actually good rides. What I really hate the most was the walking up and down the hill to get to the rides, we were exhausted and out of breath. (try the Alpine Coaster, our favorite apart from the Mount Poconos,Pa coaster) The views are nice. The lines believe it or not where not long and we went on a Sunday. It would be better to purchase water shoes and not sandals just because of the walking up and down the hills. The staff are helpful and the food is good. For the winter park it was actually great and We always stay in the Grand Cascade Lodge (I made a review about this hotel, 5 stars) so worth the money because after all that walking you have 0 energy, only to go to the Jacuzzi, sauna, heated pools and relax.They have summer and winter packages for great prices!