“Great sushi and Japanese dishes”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Yama is on one of the main drags in Ventnor, very close to beach and other businesses, as well as across the street from a liquor store. It has an attractive place with a nice atmosphere, though it can be loud when busy.

We've had consistently great sushi here (what we get most often). Everything tastes very fresh and presentation is great.
Sometimes when it's busy the service gets spotty - servers can be a bit slow and less on the ball. I'd recommend getting there before super-busy dinner hour if possible. Though we've generally had good service I know others haven't, so know that it could be a little slow and not perfect.

My favorite is the Hawaii roll, possibly my all-time favorite roll. My husband loves the toro. Even with service issues I'd say it's worth going for great sushi and other Japanese favorites and good prices.

There are newer reviews for Yama Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Very nice atmosphere. Great, very diverse menu. You can find many different things so that pleases a large group. Everything we had was fresh and well prepared. Seems other Japanese Restaurants have a limited menu but here there is always something new and exciting to try. Wait staff needs to smile and try to make the experience a little less mundane. Prices are reasonable too!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Sushi...that about says it all. good consistant, usually crowded during summer. Take out is a good idea if the wait is too long.

1  Thank Handtiques
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Yama has an extensive menu of sushi and other Japanese food. The food is very good but the service is terrible. The prices are reasonable. It is a byob and the room is very noisy. There are tables set up for outdoor dining. Because the service is bad, this is not a place that I would bring small children. I would recommend making reservations on the weekend in the summer. If the service wasn't so bad, this could be the best Japanese/sushi restaurant at the shore.

Most disappointing besides the service, the seaweed salad was on a huge bed of lettuce.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My friends and I went to Yama for lunch. I frequent the restaurant but one of my friends had never been there before. She commented on the nice interior. The renovations have definitely helped the atmosphere there, very open and you can see the sushi bar from practically any table. Restaurant was not busy on the Friday after the 4th - there were only 3 other tables full and all were couples - but our server took forever taking our order and getting our drinks and food to us. She forgot to put my seaweed salad in, and she brought it to me halfway through my lunch. I didn't care so much as long as I got my seaweed salad! They have good seaweed salad! The one thing you can count on with Yama is that the food will always be good and the prices for lunch are very reasonable. The 3 roll sushi lunch with miso soup and green salad is $11.95. I had the yellowtail with jalepeno, eel with avocado and Philly roll - all very yummy! If you can put up with so-so service to get good food, then check out Yama. If you want better service with excellent sushi, check out Bay Ave Sushi in Somers Point.