All reviews beach tags atlantic city beach chairs main building breakfast was delicious other guests outdoor shower off street parking half block short drive the location is perfect off season we've stayed jersey shore enjoyed my stay mini vacation beach passes
Reviewed March 29, 2012

While reading reviews before booking I was pleased with what others said and really couldn't wait to stay. We were only staying 1 night. It seemed to be perfect, we were going in to AC for a show. We wanted to stay in a clean, quite B&B that was close to the beach and close to AC. We thought we found it at the Carisbrooke.

When I booked I specifically asked if we were staying in the main house. I read some things about the "efficiency" like rooms across the street and didn't want to stay there. We arrived and the inn keeper stated he'd walk us over to our room. I immedietly was dissapointed and said, when I booked they said I'd be in the main house. He said he was full and couldn't accommodate me there. We were already disappointed in the main house appearance and upkeep, you can imagine what we thought of the building across the street. Needless to say I didn't want to stay. But the show was in 30 minutes and at this point had no choice.

We decided to stay the night despite the bathroom being way too small and gross, the white sheets stained, dirty carpet, cracked walls, exterior door to our room that didn't even reach the floor and just overall disgust for the room. We woke up the next day and couldn't wait to leave. We didn't even eat breakfast because the kitchen was dirty and they had dog/cat toys all over the main office which was right off the kitchen. On our way out after we checked-out I grabbed a muffin thinking ok how bad could this be...it was hard as a rock and tasted terrible.

Warning! Do not have high expectations for this place. Ps. The pictures of the house and rooms have to be 10+ years old. And by the way, expect to be in a dodgy part of town (we had to park on the street because the lot is too small and we were scared our car was going to be broken in to) also expect a run down, abandoned motel right next store.

I feel like I was completely robbed of my money and lied to by false advertising! I've never felt this way before

The one positive is that the beach is right there.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Gail D
Carisbrooke-Manager, Owner at Carisbrooke Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

First I would like to express my deep regret that you had such a completely disappointing and unpleasant stay at my establishment. First and foremost we want our customers to have a good experience for a fair price. I am very sorry this was not the case. I want to address all of your concerns.
I have investigated what went on with your booking process to see why you were booked in the cottage instead of the main building. When researching your reservation I realized you had booked through Expedia and not directly with us. Expedia can be very attractive if you are looking for a good deal but their agents never know a property as well as the properties own staff. If you have particular requirements its always best to contact a property directly. It's unfortunate they did not book you in the main building because at the time you booked we did have several rooms available in the main house although they were all a bit more money than what you had been booked into. I am also guessing that you did not receive any sort of confirmation, otherwise I'm sure you would have seen you were booked in a cottage room. Our website clearly states which rooms are in the cottage and which are in the main building. I would suggest you contact Expedia if they did not provide a confirmation stating the room you were booked in.
About the state of your room. I wish you would have notified us that you had stained sheets. We would have gladly changed them. We wash all of our linens and towels with bleach and train our staff to look for any kind of stains that may occur from a guest or from our washing machine/dryers. If this was missed I am sorry and do assure you the sheets were clean and sterile. I can also tell you the carpets are cleaned regularly with a commercial steam extraction machine. The door does not touch the floor due to the local fire code which requires doors to automatically close and if it was rubbing on the carpet we would be in violation.
I am curious though about your comments about our kitchen. I will admit after breakfast it can be a bit messy because we are serving breakfast to as many as 30 people some days but you say it was dirty? I have to wonder now if you actually stayed here because we never allow guests into the kitchen for health department reasons. Was it possibly another kitchen you are confusing with ours?
We do have two dogs on the premises. We mention them on our website and have many photos of them in our online photo album. When we send confirmation (directly from the inn) they are mentioned again. They have also been mentioned numerous times in online reviews. If you were somehow surprised that we had dogs again I am sorry. I doubt they were around when you checked in. We only allow them in the inn when we(myself or Agnes) are present and our assistant innkeeper checked you in. They do sometimes leave a few toys around. You are correct my office is adjacent to the Kitchen. We do allow the dogs in the office, the main hallway and the parlor when we are not serving breakfast.
You mentioned you had to park on the street because our lot was too small. Actually the rooms in the cottage building are less expensive primarily because we do not provide off street parking. If this was a surprise to you I am again sorry. I can only guess that you did not receive a confirmation from Expedia because we purposefully included (Street Parking Only) at the end of every room name in our cottage to be absolutely sure it was communicated out of any online booking system. I expect you had no problems with parking or your car being damaged. Ventnor is a very safe beach community just outside of Atlantic City. I can understand how it might seem a bit desolate this time of year. Many of the homes here are second homes for summer vacations.
Lastly I want to explain about our photos. They may seem old when you look at them. We take them ourselves and do not use professional photographers. I am embarrassed to say we are not experts at photography but we try. We do not use professional photographers for a few reasons. First we are constantly changing and updating different aspects of rooms (painting, furnishings, tv's etc.). If we used professionals it would cost us a small fortune to keep the pictures up to date. The other reason is we prefer not to overstate the rooms in the photos. Professional photography can sometimes make the rooms look bigger or nicer than they really are. I would prefer people have lower expectations when they arrive and be surprised. I realize in your case the opposite happened and I am sorry. Unfortunately our property is not a good fit for everyone. We do our best to communicate exactly what we have on our website and try to use the most recent and accurate photos possible. None of our photos are 10 years old -- I have only owned the inn for 9 years and most photos were taken after significant amounts of renovations took place back in 2007 and 2008. The photos of the room you stayed in were taken last May (about 10 months ago). We have only owned that building for a year.
Again I am sorry your stay with us was not pleasant. We are not always a good fit for everyone. I do hope you had a wonderful time at the show you attending and hope you will visit Atlantic City again.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

This was my first bed and breakfast and I must say that we truly enjoyed ourselves. It was such a cozy feeling and the inn was so quite when we went and came back from dinner. Some of the best restaurants are only minutes away. The staff is very pleasant and takes the time to explain everything, there a feeling of relaxation that just comes over you the second you walk in. They have snacks (fruits and cookies), an ice machine for you to enjoy a drink and every channel imaginable so that you can relax before going to bed.

Room Tip: Room 7 has an amazing bathroom and hot tub.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This was a quick overnighter to celebrate my husband's 50th away from kids and work, and what a lovely lovely place it turned out to be. Lots of Atlantic City area stuff is tacky and well, tacky, and this was just so lovely and elegant. It was great. As promised, there was a bottle of Sicilian wine waiting for us in a beautifully appointed room, and a GREAT comfy bed with oodles of pillows. Everything was spotlessly clean and really cared for. There were refreshments in the evening and the breakfast was substantial. They ask about food allergies and when they heard we were vegetarians they offered us veggie sausages instead of meat ones. The location is great for both Atlantic City and the quieter more genteel Ventnor. And it's only a few feet from the boardwalk and beach. Though we were there on a cold early March mid-day it was still great for a morning walk. There're lots of dining options in walking distance too. We can't say enough about how really top notch our experience was.

Room Tip: We peeked in at all the open doors as we made our way to the third floor--each one seemed lovelier than the next. Don't know how you could go wrong.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2012

This was our first stay at the Carisbrooke and we wouldn't hesitate to return! From our arrival on Friday evening and discovering a cheese/fruit tray and a bottle of wine in our room to the chocolate chip cookies at our departure on Sunday morning, we enjoyed our stay. The weather was terrible most of the weekend, so we didn't get to enjoy the Boardwalk, but it certainly looks like the perfect location for another trip! Thanks for a welcome respite from the hectic work week! Janet and Jim Meyer

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2012

My husband and I splurged as we wanted a nice place as we knew we wouldn't be out much being I was 35 weeks pregnant. The weather was so so but we didn't mind as we stayed in the beautiful inn. The food was great, the people nice and the atmosphere very cozy! We loved itit.

Room Tip: Room 4 was spacious and had a love seat where we watched movies. If you want to sleep in I don't think the rooms on the first floor would be good. Breakfast starts at 8:30 and evev with the heavy drapes they close it could get noisy. BUT just a guess as we were on the second floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple